Author Topic: silver frames  (Read 1896 times)

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
silver frames
« on: March 22, 2021, 12:27:07 AM »
The Uberti factory site shows a gorgeous '66 with a hand engraved "solid silver" frame. Years ago I saw on their site a page mentioning they had made a small run of silver framed '66, but that's no longer there. I recall the page said the run (of 10 I think it was, with one still for sale) had been inspired by an original Winchester. Anyone here know the history of those Uberti rifles and the original(s) which inspired them? A web search found examples of silver and of German silver frames on original Winchesters, but nothing on the Ubertis.
Karl

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: silver frames
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »

:)  KWK   ;)

A tiny tidbit more information.  The run of rifles of which you speak were in fact a near Solid Silver alloy.  The "alloy" was to bring the silver receiver up to the same tinsel strength of Uberti Brass rifles.  The rifles were made to be replicants of a "presentation" rifle, made for the President of Mexico.  At the time of the article, "Silver #7" was in fact still available.  The price at the time was 28,000 USD.  Priced for a quick sale   :D  The Receiver, Butt Plate and Fore End piece were all in the Silver Alloy.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
Thanks. I remember vaguely the original was for some South American government official but didn't recall it was Mexico. II imagine Winchester was hoping for a big military contract.) Nor do I recall seeing a price, but $28k is rather impressive. At the time, I did look up the properties of various silver alloys and found several with suitable tensile strength, which surprised me since silver isn't very strong. Also, the weight of the silver in the frame was only a few hundred dollars at that time, which also surprised me.

My thoughts were that a decent aluminum alloy would today make for a nice '66, especially when combined with the more slender barrel tapers Miroku uses on their '66 and '73 pattern rifles. While it's strong enough, there is the question would it be stiff enough in such a long frame. Boing
Karl

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:49:01 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
I think Cimarron has one of those, given to Mike by Aldo.  I saw it on the show gun shelf a few times, but it never went to any shows.  Mike also has a silver plated original '66.

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:31:18 AM »
Yesterday I talked with Taylor's about wood and engraving options for the '66 and '73 Uberti, and before hanging up I asked about those silver '66. They are still available for order--for $48,000.

The money must all be in the magnificent engraving, inlay, and wood on these. It isn't in the silver, of which I calculate there is about $1000 at current prices.

Gunmetal would do nicely, thank you.  ;D
Karl

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
You don't cost out the price of the silver - you pay for what they did with it.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1630
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:47 AM »
      Greetings, All!

On the subject of Silver... I feel that a Brass - Framed Henry, tastefully covered in Samuel Hoggson-esque
engraving, then all Brass thoroughly silver plated, would be Positively Wonderous!
   Oh, and also chambered for the ".44 Colt"...!

M.T.Marfield

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 09:19:17 AM »

:)  M.T.  :D

I am right there with ya.  However, my preference is for the chambering to be 44 Russian.  Heck, I'd even settle for the Brass to be Nickel Plate.  Some kind of tasty you betcha.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
Silver plating is an option at Uberti, as shown on the factory site. I'd worry how plating would hold up.

When I saw their picture of the solid silver '66, I first considered electroless nickel to get a similar effect, then my mind drifted off to aluminum and a lightweight '66, then I decided gunmetal would do.

I do wish Uberti offered the lighter rifle barrel contours originally available. At least with the '73 you can pick the half found to reduce the nose heaviness in the 24" models. Taylor's said Uberti won't fit such to a '66, even though the parts interchange. Neither does Uberti offer a half magazine. The Miroku replicas use a contour much lighter than the originals and balance nicely for me, but they are out of production. I'll keep my eyes open for one used.
Karl

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »
Hurry, hurry, step right up and get your bid in!

Hey, the front of the carrier is a bit proud, just like many Uberti I've seen, although the Uberti were proud all the way across.

edit: Oops, I missed that the auction had been completed. It sold for nearly a million dollars. It's not that nice.
Karl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com