Author Topic: Gunslinger questions  (Read 4508 times)

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunslinger questions
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:44:38 PM »
When I bought my Gunslinger the dealer told me it was exactly the same size as a 1st gen. Colt.  Does anyone know if this is true?  The reason I ask is because I'm buying some (relatively) inexpensive gunleather and I don't know whether to size it as a Colt clone, old Vaquero, etc.  No one ever includes USFA in their gun holster standards, of course.

I'm also wondering--I've put less than 50 rounds through the pistol and it's getting a cylinder ring.  Is this normal?  I have a Gaucho that's been fired more but the cylinder is almost pristene.

Thanks!  And hope everyon has a Great holiday!

JD

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Gunslinger questions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 12:25:29 AM »
JD,
The USFA cylinder is slightly larger than that of a Colt, but not enough to make a diifference when it comes to holsters.
You should not be seeing that drag mark, left by the bolt, on the cylinder.  Sounds like your gun is a bit out of time.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 09:48:35 AM »
Thanks very much, Capt.  Guess I have to call USFA.

JD
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:58 AM »

Offline Duke Nukem

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 11:33:23 AM »
What did USFA say about the cylinder ring ? Also I just got my rig for my two 5.5 USFA rodeos and they fit perfect. Make sure tlo tell the holster people if they are not familiar with the USFA it is for a Colt SAA and let them know the barrel length. Your seller is correct you bought one of the best if not he best copy of a Colt SAA you can get IMHO. Happy shootin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 11:51:38 AM »
The ring was user error.  I hate to publically acknowledge my ignorance since I've been shooting over 40 years....but this was my first SA.  I've always shot DA's and semi-autos.  The problem was that after I loaded, I was pulling the hammer a little past half cock and releasing it with the trigger.  Therefore, the cylinder didn't rotate exactly and was picking up a drag mark.  I was supposed to be pulling the hammer all the way back to fully engage and turn the cylinder. Oh well, you can be sure I'll never make that mistake again.....

I love this pistol.  I've taken it to the range a few times and the action and trigger pull are incredible.  I've already bought my 2nd, a Rodeo Heritage (it has tru ivory grips).  I'm waiting for Big Ed's holster/belt to arrive.  I ordered it for Colt clone size.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:29:34 PM »
JD,
Don't feel too bad.  Just about everybody makes that mistake when they first start shooting SA's.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:05:47 PM »
Thanks CJF,

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only idiot on this bus!  ;D

JD

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:22:04 PM »
Well JD, you are not the only idiot on the bus.  I've owned SA's since I was 17 or 18 and that was a while ago, I just learned something new thanks to you. Tip o' the hat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com