Author Topic: My Second and Third Holsters  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
My Second and Third Holsters
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »
Well I thought I would try a holster out of AL Stohlman's book "How To Make Holsters" for my second holster. I went with the holster on page 24-25 which says it is for a .45 Colt Frontier 7 1/2" barrel. I am not comfortable with the carving yet so I did not try the floral design on from the book. I also wasn't crazy about the barrel sticking out of the bottom of the holster so I tried to extend it a little further so that the barrel would be completely enclosed in the holster.

Well, I traced and cut my holster onto my leather and then realized I cut it wrong so it was going to be a left handed holster. So, I decided to flip and trace for a second holster so this ended up being a pair of holsters instead of a single holster.

My design addition for the barrel was done wrong and it ended up looking like the end of a knife scabbard but it does protect the entire barrel so I guess it will work.

I did try out a simple border stamp on this pair.

I made them so they would fit bot a Ruger Vaquero .45 with a 7 1/2' barrel and also a 1851 Navy Conversion with 7 1/2" barrel. Both of them seem to fit like a glove.

I thought I would be smart and stamp my initials and the serial numbers 2 and 3 for my 2nd and 3rd holsters on the flap that would be hidden. Well, I stamped the wrong sections so it can be seen on the front loop. It would not have been too bad except that I stamped the #3 backwards.  ;D

My stitching was much better on these two compared to my first holster a couple weeks ago.

I ran out of leather dye and could not find the same color as the first holster locally so I had to get a different color and try to blend what I had and the new color.

Overall, I am happy with the finished product. There are still mistakes and things I learned for next time. Correct one mistake make another it seems but I am having fun and making some holsters for my guns.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My Second and Third Holsters
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
More photos.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
And more. Sorry for the multiple posts but I cant seem to get the right sized photos to add more in one single post.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:40:22 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »
Open to all constructive criticism.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
Lookin' good, pard. I see you're now modifying holster patterns. That's good. We all modify patterns. In fact, many of my patterns are a bunch of generations down the line of modified patterns. #2 came from #1, #3 from #2, #4 from #3 and so on.

I think we've all cut a backwards holster and had to cut another one.

Modifying patterns, mixing dyes to get what you want, stamping a border of your own design, oops on the stamp upside down and in the wrong place, learning more, improving your skills and having fun. Heck, you sound like a professional, now.  ;D

A good place to practice your tooling/stamping skills is to make a set of coasters. If one isn't to your liking, you're not out much. When done, you have a cool set of coasters.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:15:08 PM »
Lookin' good, pard. I see you're now modifying holster patterns. That's good. We all modify patterns. In fact, many of my patterns are a bunch of generations down the line of modified patterns. #2 came from #1, #3 from #2, #4 from #3 and so on.

I think we've all cut a backwards holster and had to cut another one.

Modifying patterns, mixing dyes to get what you want, stamping a border of your own design, oops on the stamp upside down and in the wrong place, learning more, improving your skills and having fun. Heck, you sound like a professional, now.  ;D

A good place to practice your tooling/stamping skills is to make a set of coasters. If one isn't to your liking, you're not out much. When done, you have a cool set of coasters.

Thanks. I might try a coaster set or something soon. My daughter wants a belt so I’m going to try that next and eventually I’ll need to make a gun belt for some of these new holsters I’m making.

I’m going to try and sharpen my swivel knife this weekend to see if I can get it moving smoother.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »
Your 2nd and 3rd holsters look way better than mine did! We learn something every time we do it. Nice work Rube.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
I’m going to try and sharpen my swivel knife this weekend to see if I can get it moving smoother.
Also strop it every couple cuts to keep the oils off. When it starts to drag, strop. I do that with my cutting knives, too. Keep them sharp and clean.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 07:05:29 AM »
Your 2nd and 3rd holsters look way better than mine did! We learn something every time we do it. Nice work Rube.

Thanks Smokey Dave.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
Also strop it every couple cuts to keep the oils off. When it starts to drag, strop. I do that with my cutting knives, too. Keep them sharp and clean.

Will do. Thanks.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »
Your second and third Holsters are great! That's my style of Holster. IMHO, they have a very authentic/antique look to them and look like something one might see in Packing Iron.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Your second and third Holsters are great! That's my style of Holster. IMHO, they have a very authentic/antique look to them and look like something one might see in Packing Iron.

Thanks for the kind remarks. That's the type of stuff I like.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:23:13 PM »
Lookin good!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Aw, come on, Rube, those can't be only the 2nd and 3rd holsters you've made. BTW, you aren't planning to go into the holster-making business, are you?  I got all the competition out there I can stand!   ;)  Seriously, those are two good-looking holsters.  The only suggestion would be if you are using black dye is, after they are thoroughly dry, apply a light application of Fiebing's Bag-Kote or Tan-Kote to keep the carbon black from rubbing off all over everything.
Stay well, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
Aw, come on, Rube, those can't be only the 2nd and 3rd holsters you've made. BTW, you aren't planning to go into the holster-making business, are you?  I got all the competition out there I can stand!   ;)  Seriously, those are two good-looking holsters.  The only suggestion would be if you are using black dye is, after they are thoroughly dry, apply a light application of Fiebing's Bag-Kote or Tan-Kote to keep the carbon black from rubbing off all over everything.
Stay well, Pard!

Thanks for the kind words. Now, I am not planning on going in the leather business. Just having fun for now and learning what I can. I have not used black dye yet but I will keep that in mind for when I do.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »
Speaking of black. I find vinegaroon makes the most beautiful black and it won't rub off because it isn't dyed on.

Our thread on it is here. I use steel wool and it's ready in 4 or 5 days.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
HI

I'll second the Vinegaroon idea.  It doesn't stain too bad.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 07:01:00 AM »
Speaking of black. I find vinegaroon makes the most beautiful black and it won't rub off because it isn't dyed on.
My sentiments exactly.

Marshall, that is one awesome Holster! The workmanship and design is excellent.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 08:39:15 AM »
My sentiments exactly.

Marshall, that is one awesome Holster! The workmanship and design is excellent.
Thanks, John. That design is Will Ghormley's Frank James pattern, proportionately shortened to fit a 5-1/2" barrel so it still looks balanced. Notice the notch so the hammer could be cocked while the pistol was holstered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com