Author Topic: Welcome to BROW  (Read 59914 times)

Offline jpmccoy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Welcome to BROW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 10:03:49 PM »
Howdy Y'all,
Not sure if I actually fit in here. I just got a Buffalo Classic from H&R. I got it as a companion (read long range) to my Marlin 1895. Just got a can of Jim Shockey's Gold bp substitute and not sure what loads I could use. Thanks to all.
JPMcCoy aka Amos McCoy from Mississippi

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »
Buffalo Rifles Of the West BROW, yes, how can i resist? The marshall might ewen wonder why I did not enter BROW at an earlier stage. I`we shot a 40-65 for 5 years, but I have unfortunately sold it to a good friend. He shot 97points at 100 yard with it last
weekend, darn that is just 3 nines out of ten shots. I newer could do better than 96! I`ve got a itch for a new High Wall preferably in 40-65. Used to shoot a 45-70 Sharps to, sold to another friend!  This days I am shooting a 54cal Sharps Berdan, replica of course. some of them 59 models might have found their way to the plains and the hunt for hides..?
I`ve got a Spencer rifle on it`s way from Italy to.! And I`ve just got a new replica Colt Root rifle, that is a fun rifle! does any one know if it was ewer used for harvesting buff?

Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Judge Jake McCord

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
When we speak of long range here: at how long of a range are these Buffalo Rifle matches shot?

Judge Jake McCord
Make haste, slowly.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:46:45 AM »

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 05:09:01 PM »
Judge, don't hold me in contempt of court if the following is proved wrong, but it is true to the best of my knowledge. ;D  Most 'buffalo shoots I've shot in run from around 125 to 400 yards. A regulation long range shoot is shot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Silhouette is 200 to 500 meters. There are some shoots around that may even exceed these ranges but not many. A few years ago we shot at a buffalo target(very large) at about 1100 yards in Ackley Ia. By the time your bullet gets out there and the "ding" gets back to your ears, you can just about have time to roll a smoke and have it halfway finished! ;) Good luck in your endeavors.

GW
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Judge Jake McCord

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
Those are good long distances, fer sure, GW. Sounds like it would provide better excuses for missin' than I can come up with on the main match rifle stages!  ;D

Judge Jake
Make haste, slowly.

Be-A-triss Bandit

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »
Shockey's Gold seemed a lot more energenic than the real McCoy or Pyrodex to me.  My Trapdoor shot erratically too.  I went back to the Holy Black.  Nice thing about Shockey's Gold is that I could shoot 20 rounds without a patch or brush down the bore.  No need for a lube wad either as its a self lubing powder.  Ya still need a bucket of water for cases or it'll stain 'em up.
And I still went back to "2f" Black.
BB

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm useing sixty grains of 'Cowboy' from Goex with a 405 bullet.Works great on the 200 yard gong.Haven't taken it to a real long distance,yet.

Offline MLR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 09:22:41 AM »
Nice to find another forum for these rifles. I'm planning on using paper patched bullets in mine.

Michael

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 05:31:58 PM »
Count me in here too! I just bought a Pedersoli Rolling Block Creedmore(?) no forened cap, but a pistol grip and shotgun butt, 30 " bbl.
Seller says it has incredibly accurate out to 750 yd.s (he hasn't shot it further) Iit comes complete with lee Shaver Soule Sights.
It was a great deal and it is about 50 miles from me.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »
Count me in, too.

Charlie, your RB sounds a lot like mine.  Mine is a Pedersoli marketed by Dixie Gun Works and they call it a "DGW Black Hills."  It has the 30" barrel, pistol grip, tang sight, etc.  I think it's really the standard Ped. Long Range Creedmore.  One of the fun things about getting a new rifle is growing into it.  I think I'll be growing for a long time with this one.  I hope she's as accurate as yours (and thanks for the load suggestions). 

JD
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Cherokee Bodie

• Cherokee Bodie
  • Very Active Citizen
  • CCC Judge, NCOWS, SASS, NOT SO YOUNG GUNS
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
Hi
New to the forum and very new to long range BP shooting. In fact so far all I've done is wipe off the excess oil a new gun is shipped with. It's in the safe and looks like a bit of a learning curve goes with this sport so I don't think I'll be able to shoot the side match at The Last Stand in Orlando which I'm signed up for. Lot of extra things I will need to start like a different sight and a spotting scope.
Have been shooting on the dark side for little over a year with single action army's and a Henry. mule eared shotguns yada,yada,
If anyone has any idea's of how I could save any cash on scopes and what type I need I sure would appreciate  any advice you could give. Also on what sight is best. Central Florida Rifleand pistol range has a 200 and 300 yard range. I don't think there is a 1000 yd range. The rifle I have purchased is a Sharpes 45/70 1874 bp cartridge from Taylor.
Nice to be associated with the best of CAS.
See ya when the smoke clears
Cherokee Bodie

Offline Mizura Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »
Lookin' forward to visitin' here alot in the future.

Long-range buffalo rifles are my sport, kinda like 'em  ;D . See ya,

Kid

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 04:31:01 AM »
I was wondering if to gain "membership" you already need to own a "long range" gun?

basically I quite literally have to get a Sharps! LOL
one, I love the gun
two, my gggUncle fired it at Adobe Walls.
also looking at a falling block, rolling block, Springfield, and Spencer.

yeah, I have problems with rifles. LOL
so can I contribute? I can't believe it took me this long to find this area considering that rifle is the first "extra" expense I'm going to get after I get my basic "duty gear"

oh, and also I was a sharpshooter in the US Coast Guard, shot out engines and such!
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Howdy Y'all,
Not sure if I actually fit in here. I just got a Buffalo Classic from H&R. I got it as a companion (read long range) to my Marlin 1895. Just got a can of Jim Shockey's Gold bp substitute and not sure what loads I could use. Thanks to all.
JPMcCoy aka Amos McCoy from Mississippi

I've got a Buffalo Classic as well.  Don't load subs, but, I find 61 Grains (by weight) of Goex Cartridge pushing a Sageoutfitters (www.sageoutfitters.com) Lyman Postell is awsome! I load to 2.92 som I'm just touching the lands and groves.

Also, I mounted a tang sight on mine. I had a friend with a Bridgeport mill (to square everyhting up) drill the tang, put in inserts and mounted a a sight from Track of the Wolf  (RS-Creed-5-WE) for $60 bucks.

Considering the whole set-up cost less then $500, it's a great way to get into Buffalo rifle shooting cheap.

Bruce

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
Sign me up too pards,

I shoot a Sharp's Texas Rangers Carbine, Springfield Trapdoor Carbine and a Sharp's Deluxe Long-Range Rifle.

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline largo casey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Hi Ihave been shooting the long range for about a year now . Got a pedersoli sharpes 45/70 Been doing pretty good here at home with it. We shoot from 200 to 800 yds here.We have an anual match in May & have another in the plans later in the year.Still have a lot to learn about this long range.    Largo Casey

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
Another good place for me to waste time! I've done a bit of silhouette shooting with the Sharps and a few side matches at cowboy action. Even did a couple of mid range (680 yards) shoots. But hunting with the old buffalo guns is my favorite use of black powder and lead bullets. Buffalo with 45/70 and 50 X 2 1/2" and bear and deer with the 50 calibre.
The 45/70 shoots a 522 grain bullet over 70 grs GOEX 2f and the 50 likes a 475 grain slug with 105 grains of 1f Goex.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:53 PM »
Kent Shootwell why I don't believe I could see that group through my bino's by golly! Some fine shooting you bet. 8)

I been itching to take my buff gun on a buff too, just as soon as I get that Pedersoli back from the gunsmiths, I'll start working up loads for a hunt after Christmas.
IRISH MIKE

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
Wow!  I'm glad to find this section.   I love single shot "buffalo rifles" and have a good arm load of them.  My pride and joy is an Winchester highwall in 45/70 flat spring. But it's not shinny new.  It's the real thing.  I have a couple of rolling blocks and trapdoor Springfields - one a 1868 50/70.  In modern reproduction models, I have a Uberti highwall,  a Pedersoli sharps and Browning hiighwall all in 45/70. In the Cape buffalo class,   I have a Henery Martini in 455/577.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 05:34:20 AM »
Bibbyman - welcome aboard.  Sounds like you have a nice assortment of fine ironware.  I shoot a M1868 trapodoor as welll as many others.  I really like the .50-70, its a great all around cartridge.  I'm kind of fond of the .50s in general.  I shoot a .56-50 Spencer and .50-95 M1876 Uberti Winchester too.  The 50s are big fun  ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com