Author Topic: Recent projects  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Recent projects
« on: June 06, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
Folks, these are strange times! Can hardly walk into a store that isn’t boarded up. I have a permit to carry, but never did. Unfortunately, at this time, I am nervous, & I am carrying. Last couple days, I built a pocket holster for my S&W 431PD. Was it successfull, yes, entered 9 stores on Saturday, no complaints.
Other projects, purchased a mini knife, didn’t come with a sheath, so built a neck sheath. Also built a shoulder holster for my 1896 S&W.
Brian

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Recent projects
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:56:35 AM »
Nice work Dusty. Leatherworking can be fun and rewarding. One important benefit from making your own leather gear is that you can get exactly what you want.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
Nice work Dusty. Leatherworking can be fun and rewarding. One important benefit from making your own leather gear is that you can get exactly what you want.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Depends on how good you are, lol....sometimes you end up with what your mind envisioned. OTOH, sometimes you wind up with something that looks like Dr Frankensein built it during a night of drinking. Usually if I make something it's either because the ones you see for sale are just more expensive than I want to pay or no one makes it. I'm looking to build a version of the 1870's experimental belt. I have an original buckle with the attached loop. Hope Hanover Brass can supply the pieces I need. The ones I have seen for sale don't look any better than what I could build. Doubt I'll save any money, lol......
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:11 PM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 11:30:27 AM »
Hi

Speaking from Experience, you won't save a dime.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
Yes, some of mine can lean towards frankenholster, my pocket holster for my J-Frame, didn’t worry about the look, no one sees it, but very functional! Again, wore in several stores, unnoticed. Honored a couple of establishments that had signage forbidding. Funniest/stupidest sign I see daily, entering Emergency Trama Center, “No Violence Zone”! For goodness sake shouldn’t that apply to the entire facility?
Agree about lack of cost savings, but how many current manufacturers make a shoulder holster that could be worn in NCOWS, cobbeling one together on your own, how more authentic? The J-Frame I built will hold an I-Frame, & my Thunderers.
If wearing at shoot, will wear a 2nd holster empty. Behind line, in shoulder rig, after loading, shift to side, so not starting with back to the line.
Brian

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
Yes, some of mine can lean towards frankenholster, my pocket holster for my J-Frame, didn’t worry about the look, no one sees it, but very functional! Again, wore in several stores, unnoticed. Honored a couple of establishments that had signage forbidding. Funniest sign I see daily, entering Emergency Trama Center, “No Violence Zone”! For goodness sake shouldn’t that apply to the entire facility?
Agree about lack of cost savings, but how many current manufacturers make a shoulder holster that could be worn in NCOWS, cobbeling one together on your own, how more authentic? The J-Frame I built will hold an I-Frame, & my Thunderers.
If wearing at shoot, will wear a 2nd holster empty. Behind line, in shoulder rig, after loading, shift to side, so not starting with back to the line.
Brian
c

Dusty, I believe your cobbled holster would be a bunkhouse creation. I had an old open holster that I had used for CW reenacting. When I did a slave catcher impression a lifetime ago. It was open at the bottom and a good inch or so of the pistol stuck thru.  I kept looking at Mexican Loop holsters and thought, I have leather. I made a piece to crudely cover it over and slid the holster into the loops. Voila, a bunkhouse made Mexican loop holster. It will do until I decide to upgrade. Even then, I may keep using it. I like crude and ugly as long as it's functional.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
Dusty wrote ...

"....Funniest/stupidest sign I see daily, entering Emergency Trauma Center, “No Violence Zone”! For goodness sake shouldn’t that apply to the entire facility? "

I do see the irony in the sign  ::)     

Signs in stores that post "Gun Free Zone" might just as well say " Sheep shop here "

I find pocket carry the most comfortable,  and for me best compromise between concealment and ease of access.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
If an official description is needed, I like “Bunkhouse Creation” .
For smaller pocket carry if necessary Kel-Tec 32.
Understand, I live in the most liberal bastion in Iowa, (Iowa City), I accept, it is best to seem to fit in, vs fight back. The fact that I can & do carry amongst them is enough! As part of fitting in, I am a registered Democrat, what a laugh!
I have only attended  one Caucus, went to support Bill Richardson, not enough to be viable, convinced group to shift to Obama, I HATE Clinton’s! Good/bad Obama won our Caucus.
To be honest, inside of community, trolling for anti Trumpers, wear a bright red Children’s Hospital cap, waiting for morons to challenge red ball cap.
Brian

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »
I've got a red Coors cap that I should start wearing. ;D

Books
G.I.L.S.