Author Topic: Anybody have experience making moccasins?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Anybody have experience making moccasins?
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:53:46 AM »
Thought about trying to make some hard soled (with 9 to 10 oz leather sole) moccasins over the x-mas holiday, and was curious about others experiences making them.  I have heard that one of the hardest parts is sewing up the back seem.  Kind of figured a Civil War Vet now living in the Texas/New Mexico region after the war might have a pair of these.  If you look in Echos of Glory there is a pair of Moccasin boots shown as a soldiers private purchase camp footware.  As always any posted pictures of your work are great to look at.  Once I get my pair completed I will post a picture or two.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: Anybody have experience making moccasins?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 12:15:01 PM »
Tommy: You might want to do a search for native American footwear. There's a Web site somewhere that shows examples from each region of the U.S., from the center-seam styles of the East to the sideseams of the West. You'd probably be looking for Comanche and Apache-influenced designs that would have been most common in your area.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 01:30:14 PM »
Yes, I have the buckskinning book (vol. III) that has some of that stuff in it.  The Pucker Toe and Center seamed mocs seem to be an Eastern/Woodland style.  I was going to build the side seam mocs that you sew the upper to the sole and you have a back seam.  I think the website you are thinking of might be Native American Tech.  Not a bad site for finding information.  Yes, I was thinking about a tribe along the lines of the Comanche or Apache. 
# 356056

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:45 PM »

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 06:38:18 PM »
Tommy. Tandy Leather has a kit for around 25.00  htses are the western style. they also have a pattern of the same kit. thought this might help. I made a pair  and added and extra sole:)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »
Thanks Bittersweet, 

I looked at that kit, and have thought about buying the pattern pak.  About how long did it take you to build you pair?  What type of leather did you use?  How difficult was it adding the extra sole?  Hope I didn't ask you too many questions.
# 356056

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »
I used elk skin. it doesn't take to long to sew it with one sole but the second sole was harder. I think if I had to do it again I would glue the second sole to the first and punch the the holes for the second sole before sewing.

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:32:01 PM »
I've made a bunch of hard soles of the plains style. Easy to make and the rear seam isn't that difficult.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com