Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2017, 10:24:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderator: Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Form a NCOWS Posse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Form a NCOWS Posse  (Read 47645 times)
Okefinokee Outlaw
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 10:30:08 am »

If a posse of 3 were to be formally organized and approved, and a year later no additional recruits were to be found, would the posse be sent to Boot Hill?
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 02:34:04 pm »

Not likely.... 3 like minded fellows are 3  (I believe) 3  (or insert # ) more will join. There is a number (10 members) were NCOWS will refund your insurance.
If you've dropped the dime and formally organized, you're good to go.....

The year deal is a per member to at least reach level 1 impression.

Wiser (perhaps not older) heads will correct my error , if any  Smiley
Okefinokee Outlaw
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »

Section 1-3 of the By-Laws in the Tally Book states that there must be 5 after a year to remain active.  I didn't know if there was a provison for an extension.  Or maybe I am misinterpreting? 
Rambling Rex
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »

Rex,

Here's the direct wording on our firearm regulations:

As you can see, we limit our approved firearms to the time from of 1865 to 1899.  We don't differentiate between single and double action in competition as long as said revolver has some provenance to the time period.

Regarding semi-autos:  We do not allow them since they do not fit the definition above.  Our Congress would allow a member to petition approval of such a firearm, provided the member could provide credible historic reference that such a firearm was in documented use on the North American Frontier.  To date, no such evidence has been produced.

I would think the C-96 Mauser would qualify, as well as the Browning Model 1900, Steyr Mannlicher 1894 series, Colt Model 1900 and even the P.08 Lugar (both designs began in 1898-99 and the Lugar was adopted by the Swiss army in 1900), and it is an adaptation of the Borchardt 1893 design. I mainly asked because I seemed to remembe a decade or two ago reading the NCOWS rules and conversing via eamil with an NCOWS member/official about 1911's and Lugars and C-96s, DA revolvers and rifles like the 1893/95/96/98 Mauses, Enfields, Krag-Jorgensens, Savage 99s, Winchester and Marlin 94 and 95 models, and Springfield 03's used in side matches and thought at the time that was a great idea. They seem to have gone away from that.
Books OToole
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Michael Tatham

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »

I would think the C-96 Mauser would qualify, as well as the Browning Model 1900, Steyr Mannlicher 1894 series, Colt Model 1900 and even the P.08 Lugar (both designs began in 1898-99 and the Lugar was adopted by the Swiss army in 1900), and it is an adaptation of the Borchardt 1893 design. I mainly asked because I seemed to remembe a decade or two ago reading the NCOWS rules and conversing via eamil with an NCOWS member/official about 1911's and Lugars and C-96s, DA revolvers and rifles like the 1893/95/96/98 Mauses, Enfields, Krag-Jorgensens, Savage 99s, Winchester and Marlin 94 and 95 models, and Springfield 03's used in side matches and thought at the time that was a great idea. They seem to have gone away from that.

The caveat is:  The arms had to have been manufactured before 1900 and originally chambered for a black-powder cartridge.

I wanted to use a 'broom-handle' my self. Sad

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 05:30:02 pm »

Section 1-3 of the By-Laws in the Tally Book states that there must be 5 after a year to remain active.  I didn't know if there was a provison for an extension.  Or maybe I am misinterpreting? 

well yeah,  there is that ( Blair reminded me it tonight) told you some wiser would chime in and it was YOU !

My point was... they "NCOW's" won't kick you outa bed for eat'n' crackers as it were...but pehaps your possi name will not still be listed ..comes to that and I'll join you and drive up to a shoot ! heck it's only 8 hours  Wink....one way !
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:58 pm »

Not quite sure which NCOWS official you would have talked to 2 decades ago. That was before NCOWS was around. NCOWS has never officially considered adopting those arms you mention.

The majority of those arms are also not in documented use during our time period on the American frontier. Double actions of the approved type? Oh yes, we allow them.

Do many of us own and shoot similar arms in other venues? You bet!

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Rambling Rex
Citizen

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »

Not quite sure which NCOWS official you would have talked to 2 decades ago. That was before NCOWS was around. NCOWS has never officially considered adopting those arms you mention.

The majority of those arms are also not in documented use during our time period on the American frontier. Double actions of the approved type? Oh yes, we allow them.

Do many of us own and shoot similar arms in other venues? You bet!

RCJ

Well my memory likely failed me on the time frame (that's been known to happen, they say memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember the first). It was probably more like 10 years ago. Perhaps he was referring to his local chapter, I can't recall (now I sound like Tony Hayworth). DA's of the "approved type" would apparenty be Colt Lightning, Thunderer, 1878 DA, S&W DAs (and H&R, I own a mint H&R DA pocket gun in .38 S&W made in 1878), M&H,and of course the Starr. I'm waiting for the day when Colt or USFA or Uberti or Merwin & Hulbert makes a real DA version of those guns. Probably will be a long wait.
PABLO DEL NORTE
Very Active Citizen

SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 11:13:16 am »

Huh ANY NCOWS POSSES IN THE NM/CO AREA??  WOULD BE INTERESTED IN JOININ' UP IF THERE IS ONE!  Cool
Pancho Peacemaker
NCOWS Texican Senator
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 11:32:56 am »

Huh ANY NCOWS POSSES IN THE NM/CO AREA??  WOULD BE INTERESTED IN JOININ' UP IF THERE IS ONE!  Cool

Pablo,

There is not a posse yet.  This is interest in getting one started.  Get in touch with this compadre:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34896.0.html

Con mucho gusto,

Pancho

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
Books OToole
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Michael Tatham

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 12:45:20 pm »

Last summer I sent a Hooplehead's Guide to a guy named Kenny Rogers in Truth-or-Consequences, NM.  I'll see if I can dig up his contact info.

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.
PABLO DEL NORTE
Very Active Citizen

SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 06:27:58 am »

Smiley  OBLIGED, GENTS!  Smiley
Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 09:04:36 am »

Pablo:
There is a fellow that posted as Harolds over on the Longbranch looking for a club period.  He is in Eastern Colo (Lamar/Springfield).  You all may be able to get together and start a posse.

Good Luck.

T-Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life,
Capt Billy
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:49 am »

Same over here on the Western Slopes in Delta County CO.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

R.G.A. # 241
TwoWalks Baldridge
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 12:31:16 pm »

The idea of starting a posse appeals to me, at least on the surface.  So while I whittle away the time thinking on this, I have developed a couple questions that I have found no answer too as yet.

1. Dealing with the number of posse members stated: "50% of all members and 100% of the posse officers must be NCOWS members."  Are these full paid members or can it include folks signed up as additional family members, such as spouse?

2. Is there a list of equipment needed, such as targets, timers, flags etc and the approximate cost of start up including where to get the insurance policy and cost?

When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 02:48:17 pm »

TwoWalks,

PM Books O'Toole and he will send you a guide booklet on forming a posse!  He's the go to guy on this!  There is no equipment requirements and we have at least 1 posse that does old west reenactments.  You will eventually need targets and a timer, but they are not required to start a posse.

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick
TwoWalks Baldridge
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 04:36:47 pm »

TwoWalks,

PM Books O'Toole and he will send you a guide booklet on forming a posse!  He's the go to guy on this!  There is no equipment requirements and we have at least 1 posse that does old west reenactments.  You will eventually need targets and a timer, but they are not required to start a posse.

Bob, can not locate Books O'Toole to send a PM.  Is there an email address?

RickB
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Black Jack

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »

TwoWalks, if you look up the thread about 4 posts above yours you will see who Books is. Here is his e-mail. anastasiasbooks@comcast.net

Good luck on starting the posse. From the rules it doesn't appear to be that hard. Sure would like to hear that you got one going in your neck of the woods. It's great to find others who share the same interest you have. Check local gun shows and gun shops and see if they mind you posting some adverts on NCOWS and a posse. I know the NCOWS site has a few documents you can download and hand out that explain what NCOWS is all about. That should help you get them interested.  Grin

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »

Okay...

I have asjked this on another thread, but feel that it is worth dicussing here too...

I am a member of the 'Florida Cracker Cow Calvalry', as was my namesake, the original Wadd Watson Ellis. Barring a vacation that overlaps a shoot, I will probably never get to indulge with them, but still want to keep up active membership.

My question for the group is, can I be members of two possis (sp?) at once?

Thanks!

BTW, If you have already ansered the question in theat 'other thread', I am just about to look in my 'new replies to my posts' ... So thanks!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:52 am »

WWE,

Yes, you can be a member of two posses.  You must declare one as your primary posse and you will count for insurance purposes for that one only!

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 05:39:45 am »

Florida Cracker Cow Cavalry  Wink

TwoWalks Baldridge
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:03 am »

TwoWalks, if you look up the thread about 4 posts above yours you will see who Books is. Here is his e-mail. anastasiasbooks@comcast.net

Good luck on starting the posse. From the rules it doesn't appear to be that hard. Sure would like to hear that you got one going in your neck of the woods. It's great to find others who share the same interest you have. Check local gun shows and gun shops and see if they mind you posting some adverts on NCOWS and a posse. I know the NCOWS site has a few documents you can download and hand out that explain what NCOWS is all about. That should help you get them interested.  Grin

Thanks RickB, now I see why I could not locate Books.  I was searching for "Books O'Toole" not Books OTool ... no ' in it, so no return.  Grin

Irish Dave
Retired Marshal
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

Maybe Books is just punctuationally challenged.   Grin

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

marshal@ncows.org
TwoWalks Baldridge
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »

Maybe Books is just punctuationally challenged.   Grin

Drinking coffee ... Reading posts ... very bad for computer   Grin

RickB
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Black Jack

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Crackers.  Wink

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  NCOWS (Moderator: Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Form a NCOWS Posse « previous next »
Jump to: