Author Topic: Pharaoh's Army  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pharaoh's Army
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:27:45 AM »
My wife picked this up at a rental place for me.  I had never heard of it.  Great film about a Union foraging party that comes upon a farm way back in the hills.  They normally would have moved on after grabbing a few chickens, the cow etc, but one of the soldiers got hurt and this explores the interaction between them and the lady left behind while her husband is out with Gen Lee's boys.

Very well acted and historically correct from what I could see.  I'd like to see more films like this.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Pharaoh's Army
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »
Sounds like a good one, PD. I'll look for it.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:32:17 AM »
Here's a better description taken from imdb:

If you're even mildly interested in the War between the States, this film is worth watching. It is great historical story telling. No flashing sabres, no cavalry charges, no carnage -- just the story of a sorry group of Union soldiers stumbling into the farm of a Confederate woman and her son and taking as much as their captain's conscience allows. This quantity moves up and down as events unfold affecting his sense of humanity in conflict with his sense of duty to his men and his cause. Ultimately, he reaches a compromise that any of us would be hard put to top.

I appreciate the historical treatment of the war in Kentucky, a slave state that tried to stay neutral but eventually opted to remain in the Union under mysterious political circumstances involving the detention of certain legislators. Roughly half the soldiers from Kentucky fought for each side, but there's never been much treatment of what it was like to have lived there through those times. This film makes a great contribution simply in the "look and feel" of the time and place.

"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:44:26 AM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
I enjoyed it as well, and thought it was well done and researched.   Both Patricia Clarkson and Chris Cooper do an excellent job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com