Author Topic: The proper utilization of a Webley  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The proper utilization of a Webley
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
Just pretend he's using a Prideaux speedloader.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
I suppose I shall have to bring along my setup sometime and use it in the Expansion match ...  ;D ...

(The Pritchard-Greener bayonet and the Prideaux loaders are all reproduction ....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:05:23 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:33:21 AM »
Where do you get Repro Prideaux?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »
Every pistol needs a bayonet.  :D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
I began to modify this reply when no one had posted a response, before I had finished Ratlesnake Jack posted his reply below.

My original post referenced the Main Match rules where speed loaders are prohibited, not the EEM rules where I believe he's correct, they would be allowed.

I first thought Rattlesnake Jack was talking about using his loaders in the muster main that would have run afoul of the rules. Since they weren't invented until 1914 I guess that wouldn't have worked in any case.  

I had suggested using the American U. S. Navy issue 1889 speed loaders in the main match and it was pointed out to me that the rules prohibited this ???

Unlike his loaders, I don't think anyone makes a reproduction of the 1889 loaders.

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
There used to be a specific exception to that rule for EEM side matches, allowing the use of period-correct loading devices ... which is all that I had in mind for possible use of this kit ... 

Has that exception been eliminated?  (I must say that, even as a Staff Officer, I can't keep up with the rule changes ... which to my mind means there are too many ongoing changes ... or we at very least need an up-to-date and easily accessible place to access the current rules!)
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
Where do you get Repro Prideaux?

https://www.worldwidearms.com/product/m410-455-prideaux-quick-loader-199

These are presented as if they are originals (at least that is certainly the implication of their wording... and their price is quite high, accordingly ...) but, based on the markings and a few other factors, I am convinced these are merely quite good reproductions ... and I believe these people are actually well aware of that.  As you likely know, original Prideaux loaders tend to go for at least $400 or $500 and are very rare, yet this outfit lists these at £125 and they seem to have plenty.  Anyway, when I contacted them a few years ago, with an indication that I was of the view these are reproductions but would consider paying £125 for two loaders (still way too much, in my view, but this is the only source of any kind I have ever been able to locate, and I wanted them ...) they respnded with a rather weak assertion that they believe they are originals, but also made a counteroffer to sell me two for £150, postage included ... which I took them up on. 
(Judge for yourself just how sincere they are in their belief in the originality of these loaders ... ;) ...)

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
Nope, no handgun loading aids for the Victorian match.  The experimental and limited issue from that time would make your head explode.  Rather than try to regulate that, best to just not allow them.  The EEM however, is a different issue altogether, and period loaders are certainly allowed, nay, even encouraged!

Jack, what do you thing the "GAF Regulations" child board is?   ;D  And the rules have really changed very little, however, the NAMES of things have changed repeatedly, as some folks will insist on being confused . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »
Chuck, before posting the above I read through everything I could find on the child board, and on the GAF Website, looking specifically for the EEM exception for loading aids I was recalling, so I could quote it ...  but could not find it anywhere ...  :-\

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »
Actually, Bat, the Prideaux loader was first patented in the United States in early 1894 ... a year or two before that in the United Kingdom -

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
Jack, look under "Expansion Era class structure"  it's a bit down the list.  EE is really Jerrys problem child!  Didn't you use my MK V with moon clips last year?  Damn that was fun.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
MOD authorized the Prideaux for use in the 2nd Boer war as I recall.  I wish someone would make a reasonable one:  The few I've handled struck me as slicker than most modern speedloaders. 

As an aside peeve: last year in "Handgunner" Mike Venturino (who has been oddly off lately . . .) commented how he thought the M1917 revolvers were superior to the Webley in the Great War, as they could be loaded with half moon clips, while the Webley HAD to be loaded one round at a time.   There are other points that could be argued, but NOT that one, dammit!

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
Thanks Jack, you learn something new every day here.

US 1889 Patent

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 06:32:00 PM »
Nothing new under this or any sun!  I'll bet folks were thinking of this as soon as the 1st S&W #3 rolled off the line.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 10:20:32 PM »
Thanks for pointing out where it is, Chuck ... I looked under the "GAF expansion Era Match" heading in the child board ... after failing to find it there it did not occur to me it would be hidden under  the "EEM class structure" heading  ... also wasn't able to locate anything about it on the GAF website ...

I don't recall using your Mark V with moon clips.  But I'm sure I have used my Prideaux loaders in the EEM before, and was set to do so again last year ... although I didn't get very far into the match.  My rifle began to refuse to chamber rounds, so I didn't finish, even with a second attempt to run it.   (This happened even though I had chamber-checked every single cartridge in advance of the match and, after the first abortive start, went back to my vehicle and chamber-checked them all again!)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 08:48:51 AM »
Since we are talking about Webley's and far too many of them were shaved for .45 acp  :'( :'(, does anyone shoot one?  What do you shoot out of it?  IIRC the .45 auto rim is actually too powerful for a Webley.  Will the .45 Schofield cowboy loads work?
GAF#379

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
I have a bunch of martial .455 Webleys, Colts and Smiths, a few in original condition and others that have been shaved or rebated for .45 lc and a lone one for Schofeld?. As long as your lead bullet is .454 and loaded down to Webley pressures you should be ok. I shoot my Webleys and big .45 HE Smiths often. While I have a couple of .455 NS revolvers with decent trigger pulls I just like my .38 NS revolvers better. The .45 acp was successfully shot in shaved cylinders due to the undersized bullet which gave the excess pressure somewhere to go as opposed to blowing up the revolver. Still don’t ever shoot ball .45 acp in them. Just to keep my .45 ammo somewhat organized I reload autorim brass for .454 Webley, my .45acp load is a universal load that works in my modern revolvers, 1911 autos and pcc’s, my brass case .45 LC uses a 225/250 gr bullet for my Marlin rifles and nickel brass LC [and schofeld] for my revolvers is 200 gr [.452 or .454]. I’ve recently started back casting and have cast a bunch of the 265 gr hollow base pointy nose bullets and loaded these in my .455 brass. My unaltered Webleys like those.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 11:52:24 AM »
Here are some of mine. A Metropolitan Police in .450, a Webley Green/Government in LC,  a Webley Wilkinson 1910 in .45 AR and a Mk IV that was shaved but now has an unaltered .455 cylinder. Missing are my Mk I Navy, a Webley Wilkinson 1900, and my grail gun, a .455 Fosberry.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
Nice collection!

I don't reload....is there anything off the shelf that is safe on a shaved Webley?
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com