Author Topic: Gary James video  (Read 1272 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gary James video
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Gary James, long time gun writer and collector of antique arms has a video out there of him shooting his original Spencer carbine with CF conversion.

With the muzzle resting on a pad, the carbine vertical, he unceremoniously dumps in 7 rds from a Blakeslee tube! Makes you cringe watching it!

Having been present twice when mag tube detonations occurred in Henrys, that seems to be setting the stage for disaster. Mr. James needs a little education on the matter.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Gary James video
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Hi, PJ:

Like most of life, it's what is not said or not shown. 

Gary is an ambassador, for sure.  I like him on TALES OF THE GUN.

There is another "promotional" video showing Phil Spangenberger many years ago shooting a REPRO NON ROMANO Spencer that won't cycle rounds from the magazine. Sorry, but I cannot direct you to it.  Phil stays in touch with Romano.

A friend of mine who was present during the filming and later saw it on TV, shared that Phil couldn't make it cycle, so the part involving fumbling was left on the cutting room floor for the tv one. 

That particular repro Spencer, initially commissioned to be a Cowboy Action Shooters item, was made only in carbine form. It was made by Ken Howell and WAS and remains N-SSA approved under the Spencer Repeating Rifle name for N-SSA skirmishing use AFTER flaws were corrected.

It was approved in what several eye witnesses maintain was a "7/8 scale". Before it was finally approved, that sample WAS rejected for approval because of both the absence of a half cock notch and firing pin drag during cycling!  This info came directly from the gunsmith that repaired it at the BOARD'S REQUEST. 

Perhaps a dozen Fletcher-Bidwell ones made on Howell's tooling, got out of the shop and a couple were described unfavorably on the Internet. 

GOOGLE "Fletcher Bidwell Spencer" on SSS Forum for more.  A nice looking one is pictured in one thread.

I have been told by Taylor's that the F-B version was not the basis for the Armisport version that was/is functional, but there seems to be a conection to one of the gunsmiths/machinists that was involved with the F-B version.
The F-B has external correctness issues and two examples would not cycle when delivered.  One had half cock problems. 

Taylor's also told me that their Spencer has several internal cuts and changes that differ from originals. 
Among the Taylors differences, over time, are at least three extractor setups, coil spring in place of "V" spring, mainspring geometry, Stabler cutoffs on purported 1860 models, incorrect rifle barrel band and front sight locations, incorrect muzzle diameterers on rifles, front sling swivels on carbines and an 1865 cartridge feed guide.

Romano's were and remain the only FULLY FUNCTIONAL repro Spencer that is an exact, inside and outside copy of an original. 

Romano already had his fully functional Spencer finished before he heard of the Fletcher-Bidwell.  He did NOT know it had been presented to the N-SSA for approval a couple months before his in 1996.  Romano first showed his Spencer to the outside world at the Mansfield OH Gun Show and next at Fort Shenandoah Spring, 1996.  He and his father made their first journey to Winchester with a fully functional and finished rifle and carbine with another carbine in the white with no wood to show functioning.  Its appearance in the walkways of Sutlers Row created a lot of attention!  Once it was handled and seen to be fully functional, the rest is history.

Regards,

Kevin

Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
With Romano making no more Spencers, Chiappa will have a monopoly.

Monopolies are not good things for the consumer. Time for someone else to tool up ....  ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:39:28 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
With Romano making no more Spencers, Chiappa will have a monopoly.

Monopolies are not good things for the consumer. Time for someone else to tool up ....  ;)

Would love to see someone bring out a sporterized version maybe in 56-46.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com