Author Topic: Modify 1858 to take Johnston and Dow bullet?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Modify 1858 to take Johnston and Dow bullet?
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
I was watching Duelist54's  Youtubes on making and shooting paper cartridges for the 1860 Colt, and he had to hog out some metal at the rear of the barrel so the Johnston and Dow bullet would clear and load properly. In comments, Mike said an 1858 also needs work -- and to have the rammer shortened. Has anyone done this? If so, care to share details?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Modify 1858 to take Johnston and Dow bullet?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »
I wonder why the Johnston and Dow bullet is so pointy? All the length does is limit the amount of powder you can put in the chambers. Maybe they want the bullet to poke deeply so it is so sharpened. I've never had a problem in any of my Remingtons with the stubby LEE conical which maximizes weight to length. I'd think the CW era bullets would be less accurate with a tendency to yaw if not perfectly aligned with the chamber.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »
Hellgate, I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Mike B. sure gets them to shoot in his hogged-out Model 1860.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:47:05 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com