Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 10:55:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Cimmaron 1858 NMA with Howell 5 shot conversio cylinder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cimmaron 1858 NMA with Howell 5 shot conversio cylinder  (Read 284 times)
GeezerD
Active citizen

"Back Off Varmints"

« on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:18 am »

I recently purchased a Cimmaron / Uberti  1858 Remington replica with the intention of making it convertible from C&B to cartridge. As I received it, the bolt timing was such that it dropped about .025 to .030 before the cylinder locking slot in the cylinder. After firing about 25 or 30 shots, the cylinder locking slots were peened enough to prevent the bolt from locking the cylinder. I corrected this issue by taking a small amount off the bolt leg and now the bolt drops a little over one bolt width before the locking slot.

When I received the Howell 5 shot conversion cylinder, I found that the hand was too long by about .025 preventing it from engaging the cylinder ratchet. After shortening the hand, the 5 shot cylinder operates like it should. After removing the burrs on the C&B cylinder locking slots, it now cycles great with both cylinders.

I discovered that the bolt width is about .004 -.005 less than the locking slots in both cylinders. Will this create any problems ? Opinions

Thanks, GeezerD
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:20 am »

Hi Geezer  Cheesy

Actually, you have solved both of your problems rather well.  Often (most often) when installing an R&D conversion cylinder, the OEM hand is too long and must be a few thou shorter.  This will usually leave the cylinder a Smidge (technical term for "just a tiny amount" ) short of full lock up.  This occurs when cycling the action very softly and S L O W L Y.  When cycled as you would shoot the gun, the inertia of the rotation of the cylinder will cause it carry up without problem.

"Your" Bolt width will not create problems.  The important part is the bolt FITS INTO the slots without hinderance.  That tiny amount of movement in the cylinder is not a problem.  Atz the reason revolvers are designed with a forcing cone.  Have fun with your Rem.

I ever mention I hate Auto Correct!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Cimmaron 1858 NMA with Howell 5 shot conversio cylinder « previous next »
Jump to: