Author Topic: The .40-60 WCF - Historical oddity or genius marketing move?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The .40-60 WCF - Historical oddity or genius marketing move?
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
Greetings mates,

I have had discussions with some of my collecting friends about the .40-60 WCF over the years.  Some think it odd that Winchester even released it at all.  The original .45-75 cartridge was released with the 1876 rifle during 1877.  The .45-60 and .50-95 Express followed in 1879.  All were successful big game cartridges for the time.  The .40-60 was introduced in 1884 at the height of the 1876 rifle's popularity.  Writer Mike Venturino said of the .40-60, "Why the a cartridge like the .40-60 Winchester ever came about must be one of the great mysteries of the shooting world."  Apparently, many share his view.

I submit it was Winchester's business marketing genius to introduce the .40-60 cartridge at the time.  No business ever wants to give up market share to competitors.  Marlin introduced the 1881 repeating rifle and one of its cartridges was the .40-60 Marlin.  This cartridge case is the same as what we know today as the .40-65 Winchester but with different loading.  Knowing this it doesn't seem so dumb for Winchester to want to have a competing cartridge and rifle to the 1881 in .40-60 Marlin.  If you can cut into your competitors sales and take over some of the market, that is a good thing for your company.  The .40-60 WCF did just that.  Even though it was released late in the production run of the Model 1876, over 9,000 rifles and carbines were sold in .40-60.  About 20,000 Marlin Model 1881 rifles were sold in all its cartridge options.  So the Model 1876 in .40-60 was able to cut into Marlin's market share.  That's a successful business marketing win for Winchester.

The .40-60 is somewhat like a super-charged .44 WCF in that the bullet weight is about the same but it has a higher velocity because of the greater powder charge.  Teddy Roosevelt liked it very much which is a pretty good endorsement.

What say you?
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: The .40-60 WCF - Historical oddity or genius marketing move?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
 My 40/60 is a Chaparral,, 26" ,, recoil w/ a 215gn. cast and some smokless powder ,, not that much more than a "good load " in my 44/40 Rossi 92 ,, seems to shoots to point of aim w/ more authority ,, glad they were made.

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:26:34 AM »
Seems like a rational business decision to me? They had 45 and 50 calibers covered why not offer a a 40? Less recoil faster bullet? What were they thinking when they brought out the 270 and 243? How dare they downgrade the 3006 and 308! Venturino knocks the 38 and 32wcf in a similarly baffled way i consider nonsense. This was a different time than todays disposable income, im looking for a new carry gun every month, soft earned money, ultra mag marketing age age. Less powder and lead makes a lot of sense for the rational sometimes.

Advertising

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »
So Starline new 40-65 brass would work for this caliber? Or trimming needed? I don't have a rifle in this caliber, but if the brass works, might be a good idea to get will the getting's good, just in case.
King Medallion

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
Boone, I think you're probably right on the money.  The folks in charge of advertising and sales at Winchester, made the most of the products of the day.  As you well know, their bullet molds are a prime example.  The .50 Express molds were marked with both the .50-95 caliber and .50-110. In fact, it is the same bullet mold, except for the marking.  Many of Winchester's molds were made with the same cutter, but marked for each individual caliber. 

PS,  Hope to see you in Denver in May.  Made hotel reservations today.

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
So Starline new 40-65 brass would work for this caliber? Or trimming needed? I don't have a rifle in this caliber, but if the brass works, might be a good idea to get will the getting's good, just in case.

King, I have not tried to make .40-60 WCF from from .40-65 brass but I think it could be done.  It appears to be just a little length trimming and possible sizing.  Dave at Buffalo Arms would know.
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline AllanWaris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 10:11:15 AM »
Studying this historical example, we see that marketing is something essential that will always bring profits. Now I'm even more confident in investing in my travel agency's marketing.

Offline MikaEmber

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 10:13:38 AM »
When it comes to the .40-60 WCF, opinions among my collecting friends have been mixed. Some find it odd that Winchester even released it, but I see it differently. In my view, Winchester's decision to introduce the .40-60 cartridge was a strategic move to compete with Marlin's 1881 rifle and .40-60 Marlin cartridge. By offering their own version, Winchester aimed to secure their market share and tap into the success of the 1876 rifle. It's intriguing how marketing strategies can shape the outcome in the firearms industry and beyond. By the way, I recently came across an article from https://www.collegeranker.com/is-a-marketing-degree-worth-it/ which made me contemplate the significance of marketing in today's world. It's amazing how marketing plays a vital role in driving business success and reaching target audiences effectively.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
I don't consider the 40 60 wcf comparable to the 40 60 marlin which is actually exactly the same as the 40 65 wcf. The 40 60 wcf has considerably less powder capacity and only shoots a 200gr bullet
 That being said, I enjoy shooting all of the 40s.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline RoyceP

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
Studying this historical example, we see that marketing is something essential that will always bring profits. Now I'm even more confident in investing in my travel agency's marketing.

I think you mean competent marketing. We see the results of incompetent marketing - it does not end well for the companies involved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com