Author Topic: Newbie wondering about Uberti Russians  (Read 6229 times)

Offline The Yankee Bandit

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie wondering about Uberti Russians
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:43:27 PM »
Howdy all,

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice and opinions on the Uberti Russian revolvers.  I don't own one, haven't handled one, or even seen one in real life, but they sure look neat and I have been considering getting one.  I have handled Schofields and they are too big for my hands.  The stretch from trigger, to hammer, to grip is just a little much.  Is the Russian any better?  They look like that area of the gun is a little bit closer together.  Do you use the finger spur on the trigger guard when shooting? 

Also, do the Russians handle black powder?  I believe that is an issue with the Schofields?  Any ammo they are finicky about, etc?  And where can I get a holster for one?  Does anyone import them besides Navy Arms?  Anything else you could tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
The Yankee Bandit     

Offline Lucky Cuss Russ

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie wondering about Uberti Russians
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:06 PM »
YB, I too have small hands.  I think that on this forum there is a post about the Schofield hand grip.  If you grip the gun high you may not have a problem.  After reading that post, and giving it a try all worked out for me.  You might also want to give a try to a 5" barrel Schofield...two inches can really make a difference!!!  The balance is better for me.  Experiment with your hand grip, it really makes a difference...I was pleasantly surprised.

Good shootin',
LCR

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:23:40 PM »
I have a NA Russian that I acquired last summer. It has become my favorite revolver. Accurate, style points, and comfortable, even though the grip may take a little getting used to and requires a high hold to shoot one-handed. In fact, I shot Working Cowboy at the Nationals with it and it served me very well.

As was often done in the "old days" I removed the "hook" from the triggerguard and find it more comfortable and less cumbersone that way.

I'm shooting a 200 gr RNFP bullet over 4.5 to 5 (can't remember offhand) grains of WW 231 powder. Not wimpy, yet comfortable to shoot. Haven't tried BP after hearing all the tales about the NA versions fouling/binding.

As far as I know, NA is the only one importing them from Uberti.

Make my holsters and rigs myself.

Like this:

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:18 PM »

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »
You know, I was thinking about getting a russian myself. The only things keeping me from it are the lack of holsters available, and the fact that I have very large hands. Besides original Walkers, I have yet to find a gun with a big enough grip frame. There's also the problem with ammo, it's not readily available im my area, and I don't have any reloading equipment. I have to drive for 2 hours to find a place that sells it. But, I'm still considering it... :)

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 10:03:44 PM »
Howdy Pards.

Duce, Pard there may be plenty of room for you with the Russian grip so you might want to get aholt of one and see.  They are real accurate but got wee bitty sights.  You should be able to get ammo delivered off the net.

Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline Doc Hawken

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:53:59 PM »
Howdy Pards.

Duce, Pard there may be plenty of room for you with the Russian grip so you might want to get aholt of one and see.  They are real accurate but got wee bitty sights.  You should be able to get ammo delivered off the net.

Regards, Beaumont

I`m having Hap open my rear sights for me while he does my conversions...they`re so tight that with my eyesight it looks like 3 fingers standing very closely together...need to have more sight space to get proper allignment.  Doc

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:35:20 AM »
Well, I guess that does it for me. There's one at a local gun shop, and I'm gonna go pick it up. Consideder it a Christmas present to myself. ;)

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:57:46 AM »
Atta boy.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 11:17:28 PM »
Thanks all you pards for the good information.  I hope to join your ranks real soon.  Is there a good place on the net to pick one up?  I've been looking in the classifieds here and on SASS, but haven't seen much. 

Beautifully done holster Irish Dave!

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 10:16:54 AM »
Thankee kindly, Yank.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Frank!

Is the $825 price tag reasonable? 

Thanks,
Bandit

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »
Prices have gone up on these over the last year, but $825 sounds like full boat to me.  Here's one I've been eyeballing, but I just shot my wad on a Richards conversion so I'm not going to be able to do anything about it:

Go to http://www.cherrys.com/handguns.htm and scroll down to see it: $650

Rapid

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:49 AM »
Yeah, that does sound a bit high. The one I was eyeing (which sold before I could buy it  :'() was going for $450 I think.

klw

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 07:26:34 PM »
I've owed and shot three replica Schofields, the Smith & Wesson, the Navy Arms and one made by, I think, AWA.  Not sure about the details on that last one except that it was a complete piece of sh@#

The other two worked well enough.  The S&W was in 45 Schofield.  Didn't shoot anywhere's near the point of aim.  The Navy ARms was in 45 Colt.  Worked perfectly.  Shot to the point of aim.  Much better gun than the Smith and at a fraction of the price.

None of these, however, fit my hand at all well so I sold them.

The Navy ARms 44 Russian, however, is an absolute joy.  Crude sights but even with those crude sites the gun is extremely accurate.  Works perfectly and is accurate.  Couldn't like it more.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:39 AM »
I'm not absolutely sure about this, but, isn't Uberti puting out a S&W#3 called a Larimie?  It seems to me from the pictures I've seen, that it's a copy of the target model #3's, so couldn't the rear sight/barrel latch assembly be switched out so you'd get a decent rear sight?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com