Author Topic: Next cap and ball revolver  (Read 3140 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Next cap and ball revolver
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »
I’m undecided about which revolver to get next, I have a full size 1860 Army and an 1851 Navy with a 5” barrel, with that said I’m about to order my next revolver. I’m heavily concidering a Remington new army revolver but I’m also concidering another short Navy, or a walker. I would like yalls opinion.

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Next cap and ball revolver
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
I was in the same boat.  I had an 1860 Army and a London 1851 Navy (Uberti) that were excellent.  I then bought a '58 Remington, but I find I don't shoot it all that much.  Then I bought a .44 Navy (Pietta) and, although I'm well aware it didn't exist 'in real life', I find myself liking it very much and shooting it with my favorite 1860 Army very often.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »
I have a pair of Remington New Model Armies which I used to use for CAS before I bought my Ruger SAs.  I also own a Walker and two Dragoons.  I like the Remingtons and the Dragoons, but the Walker is a BIG gun.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:57 PM »

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
I decided on Remington New Army “Sherriff” model from Cabela’s, I know these probably never existed but it’s possible a gunsmith cut the barrel down to remedy a worn muzzle. Not to mention it’s easier on my bad shoulders to draw from my strong side. Anyway what accessories do y’all recommend? I already have a measure and capper.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
Not sure but seem to recall that snail cappers (if that's what you have) might not work so good on Remmies.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
On my bench is a loaded capped and ready to go is a 1851 Pietta .36 Navy.
Fun gun to shoot and works like a Swiss watch thanks to .45 Dragoon.
It got late and there was no time for today to shoot.
What else could you ask for.
Bunk

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
Thanks Bunk!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
Not sure but seem to recall that snail cappers (if that's what you have) might not work so good on Remmies.

Well I forgot about that, is opening the area around the nipple correct or should I just leave it as is

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Most in line cappers with at least one steel spring in the tip will work the Remingtons.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
That is funny because either one of my two snail cappers orthree in line cappers work just fine on any one of my Navy (or Army) Colt replicas. Pietta or Uberti either one so why go buy trouble. If a full size gun is a problen get the .44Army snubby from EMF and really have fun.
Bunk

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
I think a company called Polish Cappers makes a capper specifically for Remington's.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »
I think a company called Polish Cappers makes a capper specifically for Remington's.

I looked on their website and found a video of their using them on both Colt and Remington type revolvers. It is a very different design than the Ted Cash type cappers. i can see why they are more expensive. Looks like you have to order from Europe.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »

Had you not already made the decision, I would have suggested you first pick up and fondle a Remington "BEFORE" you laid out the folding money.  A Remington may well beat holeie ned out of your middle finger, and I would have mentioned the problems with the various cappers.

Whether the the area around the nipple is correct .... or not .... is immaterial.  If you can't cap it with ease, it won't be much fun to play with.  I would most certainly open the nipple recesses to accept my capper of choice.  Although I do understand the Polish Capper works a treat .... for some.  I tried one and didn't like it at all.  Tended to dump it's cap load all over the loading bench.

Best of luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com