Author Topic: What to wear  (Read 2076 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
What to wear
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
At the NCOWS convention in March we have a tintype photographer coming. we also have
President Lincoln and Gen/President Grant coming. I want to get a picture taken as a civil war soldier
with them. My family was from Galion Ohio during the war. I have some blue wool pants and
a 1864 Springfield rifle. What should I wear for a shirt or coat and hat, and where can I buy
them reasonably.   Thanks for any advice.    Billy
Born 110 years too late

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What to wear
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
BB, a period white or calico shirt, a 4 button sack coat and a kepi or bummer cap. eBay will be your cheapest source for a one time event.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:01:12 AM »
as I'm sure you are aware, being in shirt sleeve was considered un-dressed in the era.

Certainly having an image made one would had his coat & cover , doubly so if it was with distinguished persons...

At the very least, a sack coat & kepi ....what sizes do you wear, as something as simple as a photo at the Convention, I'm sure
we have something I could loan you.   :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:46:37 AM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Right now on ebay, there is nothing that will fit me, there is a medium kepi and a medium sack coat.
I need a large hat and coat. Major are you coming to the convention, it's our 4th and last one we are
putting on here in Davenport, we sure would love to see you.

Billy
Born 110 years too late

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »
BB go to eBay and under categories go to collectibles. From there go to militia. From there go to civil war. Then go to reenactments and reproductions. From there go to uniforms. I was just there and saw at least 2 sack coats from two different vendors that would fit you.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Dixie Gun Works has the hat you need for $20.00.   
I am looking for a Sack Coat pattern X large.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
Right now on ebay, there is nothing that will fit me, there is a medium kepi and a medium sack coat.
I need a large hat and coat. Major are you coming to the convention, it's our 4th and last one we are
putting on here in Davenport, we sure would love to see you.

Billy

Not sure at this point... I want to ....but Johnny Saffon is,  and "if" we happen to be going the loaner route, I can send it up with him.

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com