Author Topic: Eras Gone bullet  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Eras Gone bullet
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
Hello the Camp!
Has anyone beside me tried the Eras Gone 125 grain bullet in an1851 Colt .36 Navy? This is a replica of the bullet made by Colt for combustible cartridges.

Please note that there is no way I am going to make paper cartridges because it is too labor intensive to do and too quick to shoot away.

However, it does have a very long heel which lines it up with the chamber mouth and seems to be very accurate for me as shaky a shooter as I am.

I would enjoy any experiences any one has had with this little bullet.
Hold Center
Bunk

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Eras Gone bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »

Please note that there is no way I am going to make paper cartridges because it is too labor intensive to do and too quick to shoot away.

Hmm... That is why I never got into reloading  ::)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Bunk, not the same mold but I just acquired Accurate Molds #38-120-C. It is a heel base bullet with a round nose flat point and relatively short heel(sorry-don't know how to post pictures). I have been using it in 38LC cartridges and loaded on top of loose powder in the 36 Navies. I wanted something with a little more punch than a round ball when confronted with knock down targets at Cowboy matches. It also registers a louder hit on the steel targets. I have been initially very satisfied with the results, although most of my guns shoot slightly left when compared to a round ball. Biggest drawback is there is no grease groove but there are several ways to skin that cat. I've also used it with the mentioned paper cartridges, although I just make a separate powder "bag" and don't attach the bullet. Using Old West Bullet Molds heel bullet crimper makes crimping them in the 38LC cases a breeze.
I ordered the mold sized at .375(heel is .358) which works great in my 36 Ubertis. That size was too big for a Pietta and I had to size them down to about .370 to fit the Pietta's smaller chamber mouth. I just got this mold about two months ago and with the weather turning nasty I will have to curtail further testing until Spring. However, so far so good and it would be great if this bullet can do double duty in the 36 Navies and 38LC's.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:18:59 PM »

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »
If that's the bullet I'm thinking of, I've shot some, in both repros and an original.  (The accuracy was so mediocre in the repros I borrowed an original to try.) 

The Navy just isn't a hard pistol to get on target, but the bullets didn't want to hit.  None of the target strikes suggested the bullets were tipping, bullet diameter was a good match to the original but maybe a thou or so oversize in the repros--it might be worth trying to size some down to see how they do. 

Loads were paper cartridges duplicating the charge in Hazard's paper cartridges (21 gr) and Johnson and Dow cartridges (17 gr).  Group size for 6 shots of either load was in the neighborhood of 18" at 50 yards.  (For comparison, the same charges and a round ball would group around 5-6".) 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
The original Colt paper cartridge bullet is a more pointed bullet that the Accurate mold but weighs about the same. For me in my Pietta Navy it is a pretty accurate bullet. The powder charge used is for target shooting and is 12 grains (weight) of GOEX FFFg over a 1/8" lube wad.
At 10 yards it pretty much holds a playing card group on a steel target and the bullet hits hard enough to make a nice flat lead disk.
However, the gun has been tuned with a 2 1/2 pound trigger pull and a real front sight which makes a big difference for shooting.
The groups are shot sitting with cross sticks since cows pretty much destroyed the bench. More testing at 20 or 25 yards on paper will give more informative groups. We shall see when the weather permits.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com