Author Topic: Old West Reproductions Money belt/cheyenne holster  (Read 7104 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Old West Reproductions Money belt/cheyenne holster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Anyone know if a slim jim could/would be used with a full loop cartridge belt? Most i see are displayed with either a slick (percussion) belt or a belt with partial loops. Unsure if this is due to the attachment method of slim jim holsters or what. Also, were holsters more likely to be what i call fancy carved or extra tooled, or plain? Is this more of a status thing?

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
FYI on line holsters: Depends on what is used for the lining.  When my customers request a lining, I use 2-3 oz. topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun.  No matter whether you line or not, a correctly, fitting holster will cause some bluing wear at the six or seven points of contact with the gun.  A cowhide lining will help some, but won't completely eliminate the wear if the gun is drawn and holstered sufficiently.  Don't know what Rick uses for linings.  John Bianchi, in his book, "Blue Steel and Gun Leather" states that suede linings pick up dirt and grit. The only reason he used suede is because customers insisted on it.  (BTW, I will NOT use suede, no matter what!)  Also, be sure that whatever lining is used is veg-tanned, and NOT chrome-tanned leather.  Chrome-tanned will cause corrosion!

(Disclaimer: This is NOT a solicitation for orders!  Just posted for information based on over four decades of experience.)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
FYI on line holsters: Depends on what is used for the lining.  When my customers request a lining, I use 2-3 oz. topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun.  No matter whether you line or not, a correctly, fitting holster will cause some bluing wear at the six or seven points of contact with the gun.  A cowhide lining will help some, but won't completely eliminate the wear if the gun is drawn and holstered sufficiently.  Don't know what Rick uses for linings.  John Bianchi, in his book, "Blue Steel and Gun Leather" states that suede linings pick up dirt and grit. The only reason he used suede is because customers insisted on it.  (BTW, I will NOT use suede, no matter what!)  Also, be sure that whatever lining is used is veg-tanned, and NOT chrome-tanned leather.  Chrome-tanned will cause corrosion!

(Disclaimer: This is NOT a solicitation for orders!  Just posted for information based on over four decades of experience.)

I believe it states deer skin on his site.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:17:51 AM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
In answer to William's question, Slim Jim holsters, made for any of the early cartridge revolvers, were usually worn on narrow cartridge belts.  One example from my collection is pictured on page 89 in the book Packing Iron.  This Dodge City holster was made for a Colt Single Action with 7 1/2" barrel.  The belt used with this holster is 2"wide and carries 40 loops in .45 caliber.  I make a lot of my #18 percussion pistol belts with cartridge loops for those customers who want a Slim Jim for their cartridge revolver.  Tooling was an option offered by most saddle shops of the period.  From my 50 years of experience in collecting antique maker marked holsters, most had some rather plain line tooling around the perimeter.  Others had significantly more and fancier stamped tooling and then there are those that were completely hand carved.  In many cases, hand carved holster were only .20 to .50 cents more than border tooled holsters.  Here is an example;  I have an original 1894 issue Main & Winchester saddle catalog.  This saddle shop started business in 1848 in San Fransisco.  They were well known for the hand carved holsters, pommel bags and saddles.  In 1894, you could buy a bozen plain Slim Jim holsters for $8.00.  A dozen hand flower carved Slim Jims would run $12.00.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »
I'm glad that you jumped in here, Buck.  Here we are asking (and attempting to answer) questions about your holsters and belts when you're right here.  I'm sure that you can give the most accurate answers of anyone about Old West Reproductions...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »
I certainly welcome all information from the man himself.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »
I hope my answer has been of some help.  Thanks guys, for all your kind words.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
I hope my answer has been of some help.  Thanks guys, for all your kind words.

Mind if i PM you direct with some questions?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
Bill,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  No I don't mind PM's or you can get in touch with me through the customer inquiry page on the web site.  This may be easier for me as it goes directly to my email.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com