Author Topic: Wall hanger  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Wall hanger
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
I was given one of these replica non-firing rifles yesterday.
  In the 2010 version of True Grit, this is (stand in ) the rifle that Lucky Ned Pepper wields during the shootout against Rooster Cogburn.  
 The real like action works just like the original.
It has just enough funk to hang on my loading room wall and joins my * Spanish copy of a S&W/COLT from "Lonesome Dove" fame.

* Yes I know it was a anachronism ...but there it was
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Wall hanger
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
Are you saying that you have the ACTUAL prop gun used in True Grit?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »
Many of the firearms ( of all kinds ) were Uberti's from Cimarron & Taylor .
Keith Walters had a number of these on the location prop trailer too....

this one came back with one of the crew and had been his possession.... he passed on in July.
It was sold by his wife , she acctully thought it was a real shooter, she decided it shouldn't be around.

She brought it to my FFL and he told me about it ...and the info behind it.... I gave $50

I have a goodly number of Movie props , ( that was a profession of mine, prop buying ) this just sorta fit in.

EDIT

OD#3 ...my friend Dakota Ike...said I best clearify.... this was just one of several on location...may never had be used on camera
Being I see none of the normal knocks & dings from handling...I suspect it probably was not used , just was there  :-\

Keith Walters was the Propmaster, for the shoot.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:49 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Very cool!  And as a non-firing replica, you don't have to worry about it being on the wall.  Looks real!

Wonder if short stroke links would fit?   ;D

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »
I had SRC Uberti in 38 Spc'l I bought in 1980 that looked very much like it...

There was a episode of "Miami Vice " - "No Exit" ( I was Prop maker/Set Builder Season 1 & part of 2 )
We used a number of my then collection,  as part of set dressing the antique collection of a illegal arms dealer played by Bruce Willis.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:45:46 AM »
  Very interesting!

The gentlemen from whom I purchased this '90's production Uberti-

...got it from the estate of another gentlemen who rented firearms for movies. He told me he doubted the rifle had ever had a bullet pass through it's bore but that when he bought it the bore, action and internal workings were pitch black from firing blanks. Wish I knew for sure if it had been used in a movie and which one.

CHT

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
That's cool

Ordinarily, I might not have bought it, being a non-gun.
 But I was acquainted with the fellow, having similar parallel professions. He was Wrangler, and we had worked on "Oscar" at the same time.  Both of us, working different Dept. he was wrangling/driving antique cars as background.
 I did not know he'd passed ( complications from knee replacement surgery ) nor did I know his wife...

It just happened that Ted (my FFL) took it in (she thinking it real ) Ted explaining it was not.
It was random thing, her coming into his particular store...( there is another store in my small town )
and I stopped in ( common Saturday morning habit ) ....Seems natural it should come home with me, and for $50 it did !

Been even COOLER if had been a Uberti !  ;)

I have goodly number of Guns I rented or bought for props....  

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
  He told me he doubted the rifle had ever had a bullet pass through it's bore but that when he bought it the bore, action and internal workings were pitch black from firing blanks. Wish I knew for sure if it had been used in a movie and which one.

CHT

I can vouch for that.  I was the first guy he sold that to, and I can tell ya, I have never seen a toggle action's receiver more thoroughly invaded by firing residue.  This being a .44-40, that kind of blowby just had to have come from shooting blanks.  Shame I never got around to shooting it after spending all that time cleaning it up and admiring it before selling it back to him.  But it sure was a happy coincidence to discover that it had subsequently made its way to a forum member who would actually shoot it and post results.  And what excellent results those were!   

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
I can vouch for that.  I was the first guy he sold that to, and I can tell ya, I have never seen a toggle action's receiver more thoroughly invaded by firing residue.  This being a .44-40, that kind of blowby just had to have come from shooting blanks.  Shame I never got around to shooting it after spending all that time cleaning it up and admiring it before selling it back to him.  But it sure was a happy coincidence to discover that it had subsequently made its way to a forum member who would actually shoot it and post results.  And what excellent results those were!   

That is so amazing, it really is a small world! Did you even recognize the rifle? I stripped the stock and put an oil finish on it and it made it look like an entirely rifle.

I have indeed shot the soup out of it. I regulated the sights for 100 yds, then worked the ladder sight over so it'd be on at  200. At 300 one has to slide the sight a little past the 300 mark. I've thoroughly enjoyed the rifle and even used it for last year's venison!

CHT

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
I have to admit, the magic you worked on the stocks did transform it significantly.  If I hadn't seen your early posts about it after you first acquired it, I might never have made the connection.   I was glad you didn't mess with the mustard patina it had developed.  When I owned it, I found that one of its most endearing features.  Of course, since all I did back then was admire it, aesthetics were all I could rate it on.  You actually proved it to be the fine rifle that it is, which I guess is what earned it some of your TLC on the wood. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com