Author Topic: Your Spencer rapid-fire technique?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Your Spencer rapid-fire technique?
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
I was watching Mike Beliveau's Youtube on the Spencer, and he cocks the hammer first, then cycles the lever, fires, and recocks the hammer. Is this how you do it? Was this how cavalry were trained to operate the Spencer?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Your Spencer rapid-fire technique?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
I use that same method of firing. I have seen put forth as the correct way of doing it, bringing the hammer to half-cock, cycling the action, then bringing the hammer to full cock before firing. I don't know what the military method was.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »
Griff, it would seem employing the half-cock step would be the safer method, but of little use when a hot fire was called for.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:46:54 PM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »
Cocking the hammer before cycling the action is a good habit to get into because with the hammer down the firing pin is pushed forward and it can scrap on the primer and case.  I have seen some that have been bent or broken if the hammer is not cocked first.  So that is the way I have always done it.

Also for rapid fire the use of a blaksley box with paper tubes will get you the maximum amount of fire power when reenacting with a Spencer
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
My recollection on trying various methods of speed shooting is that having the hammer all the way forward against the firing pin (or the "firing pin carrier" in many of the center fire block designs) often causes resistance to opening the lever.  I find a Spencer lever already sticky enough without the added resistance.  I have never fired a Spencer using rimfire ammunition, which might make a difference.

From what I have read, there was no official federal manual of arms for Spencers.  In Marcot's Spencer Repeating Firearms "First R&R Edition" at pp162-64 is a photocopy of Captain Barber's Manual of Arms for the Spencer.  Captain Barber commanded the 5th Independent Company of Ohio Sharpshooters (which, along with its fellow independent companies was famously armed with Spencer rifles) and his manual deals specifically with rifles, although most of it could be applied to carbines.  I do not see any reference to use of the half-cock.  The firing sequence involves a "Load" command that involves turning slightly to the right so that the shoulders are in the correct alignment for aiming the rifle, then "briskly" working the lever while holding the rifle at something close to our modern "port arms," or diagonally across the chest.  From that ready position the soldier can be commanded to shoulder arms (i.e. to resume marching but with a loaded rifle) or to continue the firing sequence.  If firing, the next command is "Ready!" at which point the soldier cocks the rifle, followed by the command, "Aim!" when the soldier puts the rifle to his shoulder and aims, followed by the command, "Fire!"  After firing, the next command is "Recover," which causes the soldier to return to the "ready" position--rifle (with expended cartridge case) held diagonally across chest but still turned slightly to the right with the left shoulder towards the target.  The manual does not talk about repeated firing, but the "ready" position is correct for executing the "Load!" command, so the command sequence, "Load, Ready, Aim, Fire" would make sense to fire a second shot.

Another source, Spencer, The First Effective and Widely Used Repeating Rifle * * * by John C. McQueen, reproduces the contents of a July 12, 1864, letter from Colonel Charles C. Walcutt to the Ohio Veteran Volunteers stating that he had obtained Spencer rifles for them and then describing the manual of arms to be followed and various other Spencer-specific matters.  He describes the manual of arms only in terms of how it differs from Hardee's manual (with which I am only vaguely familiar), but I find no reference to placing the Spencer at half-cock during the loading and firing processes.

A cautionary note:  In both Barber and Walcutt the Spencer reloading process for filling the magazine (not the "Load" command in the firing sequence) involves inverting the rifle and placing the muzzle on the left foot.  Although that reloading method is historically accurate, I suspect anyone adhering to that level of accuracy might get a stage or match DQ.

--DJ

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
Thanks Major. As applies to scraping the case and primer, with possible pin damage, the same applies to opening the Sharps action with the hammer all the way forward. Good habit not to get into with either of these systems.
DJ, I appreciate your reply very much. It seems the half cock issue may be more in play with centerfire vs. rimfire ammunition and the appropriate breech blocks.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
The primary reason for this today is the use of the center fire breech block.
With the hammer down, the center fire pin is pressed forward into the primer of the just fired shell casing. The mainspring tension on the hammer needs to be relieved (by cocking the hammer) before the breech can be cycled, or you might shear off the nose of the firing pin as the breech block is lowered.
The rim fire firing pin has a slot in the rim area of the chamber and as the breech block is lowered the firing pin is pushed back (a cam action) out of the way even with the mainspring tension of the hammer.

The Sharps center fires also used a cam like action for their firing pins, but this was on the barrel face beside the chamber.
I hope this info helps?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
The notch for camming the firing pin back on a Sharps is machined into the receiver. I feel it’s good practice to raise the hammer before lowering the breech anyhow.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
Kent,

Now that you mention it, you are correct. On both counts!
Cocking the hammer on both types of arms is a good practice before working the action.
However, in the heat of conflict "rapid-fire" design features were built into both arms to help prevent either pre discharge, or shearing off of the firing pin. This was my point!
The center fire repro of the Spencer (or breech block) does not allow for this.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Hi, Blair:

Right you are 'cept fer Romano's with deliberately included inertia firing pin, first for safety and perhaps to reduce cycling steps in matches when must "try" to keep up with Henry's.

Happy Turkey,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
I had one go off on the field when I first used it and didn't half-cock the hammer - it fired when I closed the breech. At least it was a blank and the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
Kevin,

Thank you! I wish you and yours a Happy T.G. as well.

I set my Lodgewood center fire breech block up with an "inertia" firing pin as well. But I still cock the hammer.

I got your last e-mail but then lost it!? Otherwise I would have replied. Call me when you can, and we will talk about the image you sent me.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com