Author Topic: Back in the Spencer business  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Back in the Spencer business
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
I have been volunteering several days a week at Oliver Lee State Park here in southcentral New Mexico. Among the several firearms on display is a Model 1865 Spencer that apparently had been in a fire. It's in the display case that lists the many conflicts in Dog Canyon between Mescalero Apaches and various infantry and cavalry commands.
Staring at that Spencer day after day wore me down, and I just grabbed an Armi Sport imported by Dixie on GunEnabler ...
I still have some Starline cases and a few bullets cast from a modified Lee mold from the last time I had a Spencer. Really looking forward to gearing back up to run this puppy.
Leaning toward the Lodgewood .515 mold. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
SSS Posse Member No. 109.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: Back in the Spencer business
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
Not with the mold ...per say but with Lodgewood , stand up guy .... I'd buy with confidence  
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Welcome back Oregon Bill ;D ;D ;D

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:57 PM »

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
Hello,Oregon:

Nice to see the interest.

For ARMISPORT Spencers in 56-50, the threads by and comments from Fox Creek Kid have been spot-on.  Just know that over the years of reproduction Spencer production by A'sport, there have been variations in rifling twist, chamber dimensions and parts.  Only the Chiappa/Armisport FACTORY warranty facility in DAYTON, OH can match serial number to such variations.  You can call that facility to learn if yours is of current vs. earlier production. 

I have several hundred rounds by Fox Creek Kid that have worked in a few Armisports and even originals, and could drill some small holes in the Starline cases on a few to create dummy rounds to send you to test the cycling. I think the bullet is from a Rapine 350-T with large single lube groove in hard alloy.  You would be wise to test cycle before buying a mould.  I have encountered at least one A'S with a mixture of "odd" parts that is a cycling black hole that even Taylors has yet to resolve.  Lemme know. Tx.

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
Major, I've had great luck with Lodgewood.
Two Flints, thanks -- and thanks for keeping the faith -- and keeping the light on here over the years. I might have posted a photo here of me in my SSS ballcap on a plains game safari in Namibia back in 2007.  ;D
Kevin, I'm going back through the SORI files and will keep a special watch out for Fox Creek Kid's posts.
Prior to this one, I have had two of the Armi Sport Spencers in .56-50. The first had an issue with the tube mag latch, but the second ran fine. The first, I loaded with bullets cast from a mold I bought from Dakota Widowmaker. The second I shot with bullets from a similar mold modified by another fella here at CAS City, as DW was not making them at the time. I have a couple of dozen of those bullets left over -- from the modified Lee 515-450-grain mold. I wonder if anyone is still offering that modification.
When i get everything assembled, i will try some loads both with Swiss and Old Eynesford, which was not available last time I shot a Spencer.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Oregon Bill:

You have more experience than I do, but I thought that I'd add my experience here.  I had Tom at Accurate Molds make me a bullet mold that has worked very well in my Armi Sport Spencer.  If I were to order another one, I might choose to deepen and/or widen the lube groove at the sacrifice of a little bullet weight, but I use mostly smokeless loads at this point and it works fine.  Since this is a custom mold maker, you can choose any of those options or send him another design and he'll make it for you.  Significantly, though, the shape of the nose in this design allows the rounds to cycle well through the action the action of my carbine.  Just throwing out another option. 

Here's a link to the bullet design: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-350S-D.png

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 08:00:08 AM »
Thanks for the link, Griff. It is a good looking bullet. I have had several molds from Tom and they are excellent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com