Author Topic: Hmmmm? How much for a new model gun?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Hmmmm? How much for a new model gun?
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
To some who may be in the know about these things...If a company (Uberti/Beretta) Was to manufacture a new  gun( Not just change barrels or grip frame)..But make a new gun from scratch ..What would the costs be (for S&W  #3 American) as in number of guns that would need to  be sold to cover the costs and make a profit?...The reason I ask is ((((IF)))  enough buyers were willing to pay in advance  for the gun ..Would that light a fire under the manufacturer?...Just thinking and wishing ;D

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hmmmm? How much for a new model gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:37 AM »
willy,

That is a good question.
But, what you might ask is, "what would it cost us" in the end?

One thing you can do is look into the going sales prices of original arms.
In handguns, modern reproductions, can run 100 to 200% more than the originals cost when new.
Now, this may not be a fare comparison until you look at the cost of an original might fetch today even those in rather poor condition. All this may make the modern reproduction seem more affordable.
The better the reproduction stands up to the original in design features, the bigger the market will for resale. After all, this is why people spend the big bucks on the original arms.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »

DEPENDS.  No ... Not the Diapers.  Tools and Tooling.

If your starting from scratch, the cost would be astronomical.  Astronomical to the point you might never fully amortize the investment.  Putting something together for series production and getting it to market is ...... Scary Expensive.  Just one CNC Machine can cost tens of thousands of dollars.  Once you have the machines, switching to other projects is much less expensive.  Especially if those "other" projects are similar in design layout.

SUCH AS:

If you already make a Smith and Wesson Schofield or # 3 and suddenly, on a wild hair, decide you want to make a Merwin/Hulbert, with the Skull Krusher grip frame and an extra accessory Barrel, that ain't so bad.  Starting either, from a bare floor??  Wow.  Again, from a bare floor, one might never really amortize the start-up.  Numbers sold to amortize??  Number in the thousands.  There are only just a few dollars profit per unit produced.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:05 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
Never gonna happen.

C&WAS has been on the wane for quite a few years, now, and the buyers have drifted off.

Everyone 'wants' a new piece - but they want to pay the 'door-buster price' that are seen at a Cabela's for a Ruger 'Vaquero'.

No one will pay up-front - no one with any sense, anyway - they'll all want to see and handle the new product, and read the reviews before shelling out hard-earned cash.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:35:26 AM »

Spot On, St George.

Whether we wish to admit or not, CAS is no longer the fastest "growing" game around.  Factually, CAS, regardless of the assigned numbers, isn't growing at all.  As mentioned, C&WAS is in decline.  Dieing if you will.  Slowly, kicking, scratching but inexorably none the less.

ALL the manufacturers that feed the CAS market have cut back production and have actively sought other markets for their manufacturing abilities.  Most ALL of the quote New offerings are simply modifications of existing tooling.  There hasn't been anything truly NEW in quite a few years.  And won't be.  Not enough market to amortize the investment.

Then, as I mentioned, when something bright and shiny does pop up, the glitterati immediately pick it apart and whine because it isn't in "their" favorite caliber.  Never mind the market for a shiny new whizbang chambered for 40-1000 is precisely two ...... let us whine because the manufacturer skipped it for something with real market.

Which brings us to the "new" (built from other tooling) Smithy # 3.  Listed by Cimarron in every cartridge under the sun.  Does anyone really think Uberti is going to make them in ALL the cartridge configurations??  Probably not.  While they skip "your" favorite??  Probably.  Murphy will virtually assure that.

Let us consider the current example.  A promised "new" offering, built from existing tooling, but in an absolutely useless cartridge, with little or no real market share.  Anybody anything other than the prototype yet??  DO NOT hold your breath.  Won't look good in "Dead Blue"

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
I'm still waiting for the Wyoming-made Merwin Hulbert to come through.  Any day now!

CC Grifff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
You bunch of dream killers,,you and your reality have broken my heart!!!,,,Oh well,, I guess I'll stop dreaming about guns ,,and go back to dream'n bout women,,,they are more dangerous anyway ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »
You bunch of dream killers,,you and your reality have broken my heart!!!,,,Oh well,, I guess I'll stop dreaming about guns ,,and go back to dream'n bout women,,,they are more dangerous anyway ;)

.... you must be every diligent in that quest as well , it seems
Lest you tread in to the "me Too" movement or prehaps women ( "built from other tooling " ) as it were   :o

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »
Then there was the Pakistani made Webley Fosbery.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »

.... you must be every diligent in that quest as well , it seems
Lest you tread in to the "me Too" movement or prehaps women ( "built from other tooling " ) as it were   :o

"Other tooling"..Yikes!,,,,Now I can only hope that I don't dream at all !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com