Author Topic: New magazine for uberti  (Read 1723 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
New magazine for uberti
« on: October 31, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
Sposed to be out on the road but my work trip got put forward a week so here I am foolin around with my 45/75 again
Rifle has shot some nice groups but always throws a couple low till it warms up - I blame something in the tie up between magazine and barrel so pulled it down to experiment

found me a piece of 19mm chinese curtain rod conduit that is exactemo size OD so crafting a replacement magazine tube

When I pulled the old one off there were no serious bindups - no aha I gotcha! things to make the project easy.

the only thing holds this tube in place is the skinny little pin through the forward band that dovetails into the barrel - the pin engages in a slot in top of the magazine tube -- not much contact - a decent bit of recoil - mine was already burred up some and the width of the slot had enlarged - tube was not loose but you could move it back and forth a little.

New tube is gonna have a wedding band type ring brazed to the tube and that will locate into the space between the forend cap and the dovetail that supports the forend cap - a half length button magazine would have this ring turned as part of the button magazine end cap - so the pin through the forward hanger will not be needed to locate the tube and I will leave it out.

Have sanded a litle more clearance into the magazine slot in the forend wood - forend itself fits nice  dont want to mess with that for now .

Plan "B"   if all the above dont work - I will cut me another piece of curtain rod and make a short button magazine - eliminating the forward hanger all together

Plan "C"  ----------get over it !!! spend more time shooting and learn/figure out where it puts every shot of its string

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: New magazine for uberti
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
Bit of an ooooops on this latest project

oooops is what happens when ya dont think things through

Front barrel band!? - rotating dovetail - recessed under barel to make tube lie in closer and neat ?

My plan to fit a retainer band on the tube that locates in the forend cap means the forend cap and the front band needs fitting to the magazine tube before the hanger is twisted into place under the barrel - that would work EXCEPT for the recess under side of barrel ------soooooooo shes goin back together minus the front band entirely which looks kinda ugly but wil free the tie between tube and barrel ---might work.

DT would be chuckling in his whiskers about this 'cept hes out hog huntin in the wilds someplace

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com