Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with the Cimarron New Sheriff?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone have any experience with the Cimarron New Sheriff?
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Howdy all,

The other day I was at my local gun shop and found a used Cimarron New Sheriff in .45 Colt for $402. Since that new safety is coming out, I've been on the lookout for Cimarrons with the Black Powder style frame. The Black Powder frame, combined with the fun barrel length just called to me, so I put a down payment on it. Just way too cool to pass up.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone had any experience with these? I handled it and everything felt fine, but I'd love to hear from folks who've used one before. I figure this'll mainly be a range gun, a winter CC gun, and something to keep in the bedside drawer for either myself or my wife.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Anyone have any experience with the Cimarron New Sheriff?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
I bought this Shopkeeper in 2012 ( same barrel w/ ejector ) in Nickel from Jackson Armory in Dallas off Gunbroker.

I've been completely satified.
 With Factory Black Hills 45 Colt it shoots high, but with 45 schofield reloads it settles down nicely.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
A friend of mine has one that he uses as a belly gun during re enacting and shootouts.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:41:23 PM »
My Thunderer started life as a New Sheriff (back when they were still offered in 44 Sp.) but was converted to a Thunderer before I got it.  The last few times I have shot it in a match was with a 44-40 cylinder and it works great.  I think the front sight is the same size as a longer barrel gun, so it might have a tendency to shoot lower than a longer barrel gun.  I had to shoot heavier bullets in it to shoot POA (240gr).  I carry it just occasionally in a nylon IWB holster.  Need to get a proper leather carry holster for it.

I will assume that you have already found out the trick to removing the basepin screw, that is, moving the ejector head out of the way so the pin will slide all the way out.  You'd be surprised how many folks think the ejector housing has to be removed first.  :)

By the way Jake, you know the rules, we need pics or it didn't happen.   ;)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
Thank you kindly to all of you, appreciate the insight and I really appreciate the pictures (thanks Major!)

Abilene, it's currently on layaway, but I'll stop by on my lunch-break and get a few pictures for you all. And your Thunderer is magnificent. Those grips are just beautiful.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com