Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2018, 05:45:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Are homespun shirts and socks okay? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are homespun shirts and socks okay?  (Read 750 times)
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

Department of the Atlantic, GAF #876

« on: October 11, 2018, 06:12:53 pm »

I was able to come into a little bit of money today and I ordered a 4 button lined sack coat from C.Daley. Im trying to prioritize my list of essential items. I plan to eventually get the issue drab grey wool shirt and socks anyway, but already have civilian homespun socks and a plaid cotton bib shirt. I know that civilian items would be sometime worn by frontier troops, Ive seen mention of corduroy trousers worn by cavalry.

My question is, were these things commonly enough worn as to be considered okay for an impression, as a stand in or would it be considered a faux pax? If they are okay then I will concentrate on bootees, trousers, drawers, and canteen first. and move to the shirt and socks later. But I dont wanna be "That guy".
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

Your Plaid shirt will be fine, and as for the socks- unless you're doing a Scottish impression with Kilt(like Rattlesnake Jack) I don't think anyone's even going to check out your socks.
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 06:41:39 pm »

Thanks, I just wanted my impression to represent the rule rather than the exception.
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:48 am »

Civilian clothing items were quite common during the '60's and '70's. Concentrate on the other stuff first.

If you attend the Grand Muster and participate in the Uniform contest I may ask to see your socks  and ask you about what drawers you are wearing if the contest is close, but that would be the only thime. Also unless you have someone custom make the socks you aren't going to find them commercially available.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Grenadier
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 09:29:57 am »

South Union Mills used to make accurate 1860ís socks. However, hand knitted socks from home would be just as accurate IMHO.
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 02:31:42 pm »

Concerning non regulation items and their use, are these topics covered by either Langellier or McChristian? Over the last few days I read mentions of slickers, straw hats, moccasins, corduroys and other things.
smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:19:27 pm »

Concerning non regulation items and their use, are these topics covered by either Langellier or McChristian? Over the last few days I read mentions of slickers, straw hats, moccasins, corduroys and other things.

They are mentioned by McChristian...I think. Undecided  I would have to go and check to be sure.

GAF#379
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 10:08:57 am »

They are mentioned by McChristian...I think. Undecided  I would have to go and check to be sure.
Yes, he mentions them, but I don't think he goes into depth on them.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 02:03:18 pm »

Hi

If memory serves, the Yellow rain slickers were actually regulation after the Civil War.  Don't have the books handy, but I did get the yellow one for that reason, and actually shot in it this year.  It was a might wet this June.  Straw hats were covered in several of the other books I have.  I'll look when I get a chance.  Pants were hit or miss on campaign (you had them, you could wear them, but I don't remember seeing anything at all on Moccasins.  Odd that they didn't since the Custers wore buckskins at various times and the moccasins would have been practical.

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 02:41:35 pm »

Moccasins, long underwear and battered hats are mentioned briefly in Utley's Frontier Regulars Chapter 5 Weapons, Uniforms, and Equipment
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 03:38:09 pm »

Moccasins, long underwear and battered hats are mentioned briefly in Utley's Frontier Regulars Chapter 5 Weapons, Uniforms, and Equipment

That explains it somewhat, I have McChristian, several thinner books by somebody else, and 40 miles a day on Beans and Hay.

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Division of Oklahoma
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 04:11:08 pm »

I recommend Frontier Regulars, it is an easy read. Im about to start 40 miles a day on Beans and Hay and Im going to get McChristian as soon as I can.
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »

1961MJS

If you were still interested in more mentions of non regulation clothing, Leonard Wood mentions them in his diary, recalling his time campaigning in Sonora in May - September, 1886.

"Suits of underclothing formed our uniform and moccasins covered our feet
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:24:37 pm »

Hi

This?

https://smile.amazon.com/Chasing-Geronimo-Journal-Leonard-May-September/dp/080322527X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539836590&sr=8-1&keywords=leonard+wood+diary

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Division of Oklahoma
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:28 pm »

Yes sir thats it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Are homespun shirts and socks okay? « previous next »
Jump to: