Author Topic: Epiphany  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Epiphany
« on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
I gave up on the cap guns because of a large ring of calcium that formed around the base of my cocking thumb.
I went to Ruger New Vaqueros and smokeless powder.  I got along fairly well with them but was rapidly burning out.  It was harder to get up and get on my way to the shoots.
I bought a Blue press and reloaded a ton of ammo.  Why I don't know but I started having 2-5 squibs per 50 round box of ammo.
Not a good way to win friends and influence people.  I was shooting Coming at Cha and I had 3 squibs on one stage.  Each time was stopped and each time the barrel was clear so I got to re-shoot the stage.
After I finally finished the stage I went to my truck where I always carry enough black powder round to shoot a six stage match.
Back to the posse.
Next stage.  Drew first pistol eared her back and let her go.  BOOM, FLASH, SMOKE.  I stood a couple of seconds before shooting the next shot. I was thinking, "What in the hell have you been doing shooting smokeless? This is where you belong".
So when you see me at shoots in the future I'll be shooting my Rugers, 73 and SKB with black powder in the El Patron category.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Epiphany
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
Hi Noz,
Welcome back to the dark side.
Bunk

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »
Sometimes the grass just looks greener over there but glad you wondered back on the right side of the fence.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:49:09 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:54:32 PM »
Hey Noz,
Smokeless just seems too easy and really no fun. At least in FC you can use two hands and warm up that off thumb and rest the sore one. Back in the old days (before there was a Frontiersman category) I shot my cap guns two handed. I too, recently (couple years ago) bought a pair of "suppository shooters" (cartridge guns, they load from the REAR). But I almost never shoot sm***less powder in them. It just don't seem right to not make smoke. I tell everybody I'm here to make the biggest carbon footprint. Welcome back.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »

Noz,
Just a passing thought.  You could source a pair of Ruger Blackhawk/Superblackhawk wide spur hammers and send them off with a pair of hammers for your favorite Cap Guns to Boomstick Jay and said Boomstick could would graft the Ruger Spurs to your Cap Hammers.  When done, appears super TRIX.  Boomstick can/will also lower the spur position to make them much more comfortable to shoot.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
I have a pair of ROAs thagt have had such treatment.
The RNVs have Super Black Hawk hammers with half cock notches and the transfer bar removed.
I've done most everything to them that can be done.
The problem is if I have a stage calling for 10 shots in a row, by shot #8 my thumb is complaining and by #10 it doesn't want to work.
I'll shoot Frontier Cartridge with the smaller and lighter RNVs.  I could, of course, shoot my '51s, '61s, and '60s squaw grip instead of duelist but they get angry at that and don't want to work.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
Hey Noz,
Smokeless just seems too easy and really no fun. At least in FC you can use two hands and warm up that off thumb and rest the sore one. Back in the old days (before there was a Frontiersman category) I shot my cap guns two handed. I too, recently (couple years ago) bought a pair of "suppository shooters" (cartridge guns, they load from the REAR). But I almost never shoot sm***less powder in them. It just don't seem right to not make smoke. I tell everybody I'm here to make the biggest carbon footprint. Welcome back.

Hate to rain on yr parade here but blackpowder is 100% Organic and carbon neutral - from the earth - back to the earth - all we doin is recycling soil nutrients.  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »

Oh Sure Greyhawk.  Spoil a fella's fun with Science and Knowledge.  Hellgate is just trying to confirm those silly followers of that fad heathen smokeless stuff don't really have an inferiority complex.  They're just inferior.  Then you throw Science at us.  Spoilsport.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
Oh Sure Greyhawk.  Spoil a fella's fun with Science and Knowledge.  Hellgate is just trying to confirm those silly followers of that fad heathen smokeless stuff don't really have an inferiority complex.  They're just inferior.  Then you throw Science at us.  Spoilsport.

Waal we can go some more and tell em they is pollutin the atmosphere wid there silly chemical fake powder that dont make smoke - while we are bein econaon ----aco-- ecologically responsible an  savin the planet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com