Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 10:19:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Haversack recommendations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Haversack recommendations  (Read 3293 times)
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

Department of the Atlantic, GAF #876

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 07:58:51 pm »

a housewife is simple and fun project....

some pillow ticking or scrap shirt material  , and I used to use the saved off cut when I hemmed my (issue) trousers....
sew into pocket add thread,  a couple of needle,  a few buttons and Bob's your Uncle.

A little pair of folding scissors or maybe some from a fingernail trim kit is nice.   

Thats a good idea, is it hand or machine sewn? Any suggestions on the types of buttons I might want to add?
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »

when I campaigned , a lustrum or two ago, I preferred 7" skillet to a plate ...served both to cook in and easy handle to eat from.
Granted, my kit was off horse back and I used saddle bags.
But I scaled back the weight, ...look for a well used silver of bar soap from the shower, skip tin foods, use everywhere lucifer's (matches)Oh and dip the tips in paraffin serves both to water proof and aid a longer burn for stubborn kindlin ignition...
and small piece of lighter knot or a piece of canvas soaked in paraffin and dried.
A cotton hand towel ( not terry cloth )  and a few sheets of sanitary papers .... I found cigarette  rolling papers made reasonable looking
PC substitute less the PC splinters...

when planets align...do the deal !
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 08:13:55 pm »

Thats a good idea, is it hand or machine sewn? Any suggestions on the types of buttons I might want to add?

hand sewn is cool , machine sewn is a bit faster and acceptable. 

as to buttons ,  shell , bone , wood are all good , there repo's of the stamped metal buttons , and pewter are also available  

smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 01:52:05 pm »

You owe it to yourself to get the Douglas McChristian books.  However, wait until Christmas time and get the 2 volume set from Oklahoma Press.  It's usually like $10 plus shipping then.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-West-1870-1880-Equipment/dp/0806137827

https://www.amazon.com/Uniforms-Arms-Equipment-Frontier-1880-1892/dp/080619961X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EVP1QENQEZE5SSSDM326

GAF#379
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 05:49:00 pm »

I just my my haversack in the mail today, hand washed it and its hanging to dry now. Does anyone know if soldiers marked their names on their field gear at this time? If so what would have been some common methods?
smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:23 pm »

Where did you get the haversack from?

GAF#379
RattlesnakeJack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 09:49:58 pm »

Obtained it secondhand from someone, he mentions above ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier
Old West ClipArt & History Website:  http://rattlesnakejacks.com/
smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 10:16:39 pm »

RSJ, he mentioned that he came across a few used ones that were for sale.  I was thinking, you know, a guy can never have too much gear, right?  RIGHT? Tongue Lips Sealed

Also, the video link you posted just shows a black square for me.  Does it work for you?

Anyone else having a problem playing it?

GAF#379
RattlesnakeJack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 10:33:08 pm »

...  the video link you posted just shows a black square for me.  Does it work for you?

The video link works fine for me. 

Here is the direct URL, if you want to click on it (if that works for you) or copy it and paste it into your browser address line:

https://youtu.be/jIDuA3_LW5A?list=PL3RChRKXZ0aXDC5IT61aR_3im_22HK_gf

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier
Old West ClipArt & History Website:  http://rattlesnakejacks.com/
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:13 pm »

RSJ, he mentioned that he came across a few used ones that were for sale.  I was thinking, you know, a guy can never have too much gear, right?  RIGHT? Tongue Lips Sealed

Chris Sullivan at Stony Brook, he has a selection of consignments. The haversack was a bit beat up, but I had everything I needed to fix it and all in all Ive got a usable piece of kit for under $20. For a few dollars more I could have gotten a new low end haversack, but I preferred the leather closure and buckle on the used one.
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 07:33:40 am »

A somewhat used, but well maintained piece of equipment makes for a better impression, anyway, rather than all brand new stuff.
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 08:55:03 am »

A somewhat used, but well maintained piece of equipment makes for a better impression, anyway, rather than all brand new stuff.

Ditto.... Salty is the word I use,  The contrary being "Fresh Fish "

while I don't care for " Original Finish " firearms  some folks pay extra for.
 However, good honest " earned" patina is appropriate, on firearms and in particular accouterments.

I have a beater but serviceable OSNABURG  haversack ....  I traded for it at Gettysburg with a Reb casualty to replace my lost tared sack.

there is a bit more to the story....  Wink 

Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:58 am »

Its going to be repainted, so it will look somewhat fresh, but you can also see the repairs and darning. I figure after a few outings the paint will break in somewhat and it will all look fine.

I repaired the tear with a whip stitch and darned the small holes as well as my patience would allow, darning can be tedious. I may start painting tonight. In case anybody is curious I went with a black latex satin paint, it seemed just shiny enough. I post pictures of the results.

I wonder if people did repaint the stuff or was it just replaced?
smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:38 pm »

Pitspitr, what model boots are you wearing?  1872 Boote?  Who made them?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what happened to my reply yesterday, but I'll post most of it again.
For the 1872 haversack, I'd recommend Tom Wilder (Little Muddy Traders) Williston ND followed by WPG. The contents were pretty well covered, except that I add unground coffee, sugar and hardtack and IF I'll be using it fairly soon side pork or unsliced bacon.

You might also visit the following page for supplier suggestions
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33884.0.html

I carry a harmonica too( Libby Custer documented them in, I believe,  Boot and Saddles) At Ft. Hartsuff there were Harmonica reed plates retrieved during "Sink" archeology. About the only thing you need to look for is a wooden body. If the harmonica has one it is period correct. Honer makes several good ones that are quite inexpensive.

In the way of books, the ones I recommend (in additions to some of the ones you named) are:
Army Blue and More Army Blue by John Langellier
The U.S. Army in the West, 18701880: Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment and Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment: The U.S. Army on the Western Frontier 1880-1892 (2-Volume Set) by the late Douglas McChristian
A Dose of Frontier Soldiering: The Memoirs of Corporal E. A. Bode

Below are my 1876 kit. Like RSJ I remove a lot of it while shooting.

You might also visit the following page for supplier suggestions
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33884.0.html

GAF#379
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »

M-1872 Mounted Boot.
Missouri Boot and Shoe

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 09:25:09 pm »

Meant to type boot...not sure what I was thinking.   Roll Eyes

That is a good looking impression.  I assume that is what you do at the fort?  You should do a thread on that impression.  It would be very interesting to get the details.

I'm kinda hijacking the thread here but if you are doing infantry, why the mounted boots?

GAF#379
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »

Hijack all you want, I'd be very interested in the whats and whys behind the details of the impression.
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2018, 09:29:14 am »

I'm kinda hijacking the thread here but if you are doing infantry, why the mounted boots?
Good question.
Most of the time while actually at the fort I do wear the infantry shoes. They were also made by Missouri Boot and Shoe.

Although Fort Hartsuff was an Infantry only post, there were mounted boots found when the sinks were archeologically excavated so when I'm doing a field impression I wear the mounted boots to keep the bottom of my trousers and socks cleaner.

Also in case you hadn't noticed, I'm wearing the experimental trowel bayonet too. That's because Company A of the 23 infantry was stationed at Fort Hartsuff in 1876 and at that time they were issued the trowels to evaluate them.

I'll try to post a thread detailing the uniform and equipment I'm wearing in the photo's. It just won't be this morning however. I'm not a great typist and it'll take a little time.

In the mean time, let me mention that It's generally accepted that Rattlesnake Jack, and to a lesser degree, I go to a higher level of research, authenticity and completeness when it comes to our "kits". Please don't make the assumption that everybody goes to this much trouble and that you would be out of place a GAF muster if you don't. We certainly encourage you to make the effort if you are so inclined; however, we don't have a uniform requirement. We just want you to make an effort to dress in Victorian era clothing

smoke
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 12:46:58 pm »

Pitspitr....thanks for the answers!   Makes sense.....Uncle Sugar ain't paying for it!

Some where I have a painting/drawing of troops wearing what appears to be a 1872 pattern boot like yours although it could be artillery boots but they are infantry in the Apache wars.  Supposed to be based on an actual picture.  I will see if I can dig it out.

I did notice the trowel bayonet.  Nice touch.

Looking forward to the write up.

GAF#379
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:05 pm »

You should do a thread on that impression.  It would be very interesting to get the details.
See the "Ask and ye shall receive..." thread
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61825.0.html

1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »

Hi

I have 3 pair from Missouri Boot and Shoe now, I have the 1872's I wore at the 2018 Muster, a second pair that are only 12 inches tall to wear in "real life" and a pair of high end brogans to wear with Botas for post Civil War.  Wearing boots custom fit to your feet is a great thing.  Both of the new pair have modern soles and heels.

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma
Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:53 pm »

I finished painting the haversack, let it set overnight next to my woodstove and in the morning went over it with a stiff brush to rough up some of the shine. Im happy with how it turned out.

Here it is will my kit so far, my sack coat will be in next month. Im going for the bootees next.
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 02:38:04 pm »

Nice!

Any chance you can join us for the Grand Muster?

Doc Jackson
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 02:48:57 pm »

Nice!

Any chance you can join us for the Grand Muster?

Unfortunately no, I wish I could. My sister's wedding is around that time.

I am interested in figuring out how to find or have events in my area. Im right by Fort McHenry and while not the frontier, it did have troops stationed there during our period and from what I read it was used as a storehouse and barracks primarily. I think it might be fun to  participate in some sort of 1870's event.
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2018, 02:53:08 pm »

Well, keep it in mind for next year.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Haversack recommendations « previous next »
Jump to: