Author Topic: some $ burning a hole in my pocket .22 cal conversion cylinder.  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
some $ burning a hole in my pocket .22 cal conversion cylinder.
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
Had an email about 22 caliber conversion cylinders being offered by Kirst.   They are said to work on Colt Navies and Armies.  (Hoping they may work on my Dance as well).  Anyhoo, no indoor range lets you shoot the cap and ball guns indoors, and my only conversion has been a Remington as I am not sure this cartridge thing will catch on.   So, bought the cylinder this weekend and it is on its way.   Would love to hear if anyone has one, otherwise I will report once I have it and ammo in hand.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
Re: some $ burning a hole in my pocket .22 cal conversion cylinder.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:38:09 AM »
I knew Kirst had a .22 cylinder to fit the '58 Remington but did not know there was one for Colts.  I look forward to seeing your report.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
Greetings my good Mog -

since the kirst .22 kit has a short and somewhat loose barrel, I understand that accurracy is not all that delightful.

However, another fellow (elsewhere) got himself some old .22 barrels. He cut them full length of the 1851 barrel,
threaded the muzzle end and turned them to fit . With a muzzle nut, they tighten up and are insanely accurate.

I can only think that Kirst did not do this due to possible patent stuff owned by Dan Wesson et al.

I shall see if I can find a link for you.

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
I have one of Walt's 22 conversions for the 1851/1860 44.  I have not tried it yet, but plan on shooting it soon,  Really nice unit, and you do not need to cut the loading channel like on the 45.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
Here is a vendor link showing just how short the barrel is. (dang! sentence ended in a verb!)

and here is a link where Richard made his own barrel

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1233.15.html

hope this helps

prof mvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:03 AM »
Thanks for the info.    I will keep everyone posted, as it has shipped.   I have a nice 3 inch barrel for my 1860 colt, it is more accurate than I thought it would be.   Truly this is a good item for me to be able to shoot at nearby indoor ranges.  no one lets you shoot loose powder and ball (or cartridges loaded with black powder) due to smoke I guess.  I have a few outdoor locations to shoot, but they are in the 1.5-3 hour drive distance.   I know I am odd, but I only have one pistol that shoots cartridges and that is an 1858 Remington with a R&D cylinder, so it can go back to normal with just a quick switch. 

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
Have the conversion.   Kirst is good company to deal with.  when I got it and installed it I noted that it appeared 2 of the chambers did not line up.  Spoke with Walt directly, and he had me mail it to him.   it was actually how it is designed, as the firing pins are on either side of the latch, so they are off set a touch, but chambers are in line.   Fits great in my Navy and one of my Army pistols.  my oldest Army is being finicky, so I will play with it.   I hope to hit a range in a few weeks.   I had hoped it would work in my Dance as well.  no such luck there, as the cylinder was in transit I measured and the Dance cylinder is shorter than the Army and Navy cylinders.    Either way, the cylinder is currently in my Army with a 3 inch barrel.   A lot of weight for a 22, ha.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:26:15 PM »

MoGo,
All that weight of the 1860 3 Inch is really important.  It'll soak up all that vicious recoil from them 22s.  Help keep ya from forming the dreaded "Recoil Flinch".  ::)   Important .... that    8)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »
Realized I never posted thoughts on this little conversion. 
Have put about 100 rounds through it.   I enjoy it and for a short barrel, amazingly accurate.    The 1860 snubbie it sits in is a real good pointer.

Main complaint is loading/extracting.   It takes some patience and practice.   And in the case of this weekend, a properly whittled stick.   I believe Walt recommends an allen wrench.    I have used that and it works, but left it at home on my work bench.    Shooting it for fun at KVC NCOWS this weekend, so I whittled a "poker outer"  (technical term, sorry for throwing high falutin jargon this early in the morning).    Still a lot of fun and will make calming days at the range much cheaper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com