Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 10:19:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: The planets aligned... New acquisition coming! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The planets aligned... New acquisition coming!  (Read 3565 times)
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 10:47:31 pm »

My good shooting pard, Hanging Judge Hemp, and I are going to a fun match on Sunday.  It is an old style SASS match with smaller, farther targets, goofy lines in the shooting scenarios, and lots of props.  Modeled after the way matches were 20 years ago.  taking the New Jersey made Navy Arms Henry with me.  Judging by what I found the tear down, it is unfired!  Oh well, I don't own a firearm I won't shoot!  It is six stages, though and I am bringing my .38 WCF 1866 short rifle too.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 06:08:24 am »

I'd shoot it too.... Doubt you'll loose for the price you paid for it  Smiley

Mine on the other hand was well used , no telling how many BP blanks were shot through it  ( BTW my blanks were custom 444 Marlin brass shortened & neck down to feed ) and gaggle of  44/40 live rounds .
The bluing was well worn, and the only issue in all those years was a kinked magazine spring (because of the rotating muzzle has no catch which you already know about on yours )

when planets align...do the deal !
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 04:02:50 pm »

I'd shoot it too.... Doubt you'll loose for the price you paid for it  Smiley

Mine on the other hand was well used , no telling how many BP blanks were shot through it  ( BTW my blanks were custom 444 Marlin brass shortened & neck down to feed ) and gaggle of  44/40 live rounds .
The bluing was well worn, and the only issue in all those years was a kinked magazine spring (because of the rotating muzzle has no catch which you already know about on yours )

The two biggest tells that a NA Henry is US made and pre-Uberti are the 1866 side plate screw and no lock on the nose end of the magazine.  My spring has no kinks, and the follower was in backwards.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:55 pm »

The two biggest tells that a NA Henry is US made and pre-Uberti are the 1866 side plate screw and no lock on the nose end of the magazine.  My spring has no kinks, and the follower was in backwards.

follower was in backwards ?  WOW  you got the rarest of the rare... your gun shoots the other way  Wink

Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 06:09:40 pm »

...the follower was in backwards.

Sounds like a "leader" instead of a follower.  I've known more than a few "leaders" who "led" from the rear.  Kind of backwards.

All joking aside, I get vicarious enjoyment from your reports about your new rifle.  Thanks.

CC Griff

Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:37 pm »

Thanks!  There is something special about owning this piece of history.  According to my research, they only did 500 24" in 44-40, and 1,000 in the 22" carbine model.  Knowing it was made by the New Haven Arms factory for Navy Arms adds an extra dimension.  Even If I wasn't a CAS shooter, I would treasure this one.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 09:32:48 pm »

Another thing, the extractor is milled out of the same piece as the bolt.  It is not flexible like the original Winchester 1873 type.  Anyone know if the original Henry had a removable extractor?

You sure it doesn't just LOOK like it's milled out of the same piece as the bolt?  I just can't see how that would work at all.  The bolt loads the cartridge in a straight line, so the extractor HAS to be able to spring over the rim, doesn't it?
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 07:07:59 pm »

Me and the new Navy Arms Henry at the old time type match today!  Targets and scenarios like they were when SASS started.  25 yard rifle target, 10-12 yard pistol target, and NONE were the popular 24"x24" plates.  You actually had to aim.  I shot clean with the Henry, except the last darn shot of the match! LOL.  Boy this sucker is tight.  It was unfired until today.  The pistols are an 8" barreled Cimarron 1860 Type II Richards Conversion in .45, and a Pietta 1851 .44 Caliber with a 4 3/4" barrel, and a Kirst gated Konverter in .45, with Kirst ejector rod assembly.

Also, on closer inspection, I believe the 1860 does have a separate extractor, not milled as part of the bolt.  Fit is SO tight and close, it looked like one piece.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:55 pm »

TRUELY OUTSTANDING!!   Grin
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 11:27:44 pm »

Lookin' pretty svelte there, Mr. Lawman   Smiley

Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:37 am »

I blame myself  Grin    Grin

Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 10:57:01 am »

LOL!  Those are my Sunday goin' to meeting" duds.  I figured since it was my first date with an elegant lady (the 1860), I ought to dress accordingly!

Me in my "Working Duds" with my prior Henry

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 03:35:50 pm »

Now I have to load up more 44-40.  I have 250 rounds of 38-40 for the 1866, but just one box of .44 WCF left after Sundays match.  The Henry loved my load of 7.0 grains Trail Boss with a .428 Bear Creek or Missouri Bullet company 200 grainer.  That load, not coincidently, gives me 1120 fps!!!  Imagine that, the same velocity and bullet weight of the original .44 Flat rimfire.  It is way below "the full case to base of bullet being maximum" alternative of Hodgdon.  They said fill the case, and then figure 70% for a starting load.  This is actually only about 85%.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:19 am »

My wife and I were having a lazy day today, so we decided to do a Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove marathon on DVD.  It the scene where they take on Jake Spoon and the rustlers, you get a brief close up of the receiver of Cpt. Call's Henry.  It clearly had the 1866 type side plate takedown screw, meaning it was an early Navy Arms manufactures Henry like mine.  Not too surprising, as in 1987 when they were filming it, the Uberti made 1860s were not too common either.  I have to confess that seeing Gus and Call with their Henry rifles when Lonesome Dove when it first came out caused me to want a Henry when I started in SASS in 1994.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:33 am »

They did a pretty good job with guns and gear for the most part.  In both movies, there were  number of cartridge conversions (both Remington and Colts).  Probably real ones, though maybe Millingtons or someone else's/

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:15 pm »

Kenny Howell

He also did the guns for Sellick's "Last Stand & Saber River"  & "Crossfire Trail" ( including the Evans ).

Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 12:28:26 pm »

Kenny Howell

He also did the guns for Sellick's "Last Stand & Saber River"  & "Crossfire Trail" ( including the Evans ).

Yep, that's it.  His name escaped me.  Thanks.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 12:48:55 pm »

I own one of the Saber River guns. not the Selleck pieces though, there were 3 made in that comfig

Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:14 pm »

I own one of the Saber River guns. not the Selleck pieces though there were 3 made in that comfig

What one do you have?

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:22 am »

Type 1 Richards , blued & walnut

mtmarfield
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 11:21:51 pm »

Greetings!

BRAVO! Very happy for You! That's a piece of Henry History!

M.T.Marfield
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: The planets aligned... New acquisition coming! « previous next »
Jump to: