Author Topic: The planets aligned... New acquisition coming!  (Read 13596 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: The planets aligned... New acquisition coming!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »

As a dedicated Henryista >>>>>

THAT is an outstanding find.  Twer it mine, the only way you could pry it out of my hands would be with a CROWBAR!!!  I am OFFICIALLY JELOUS!!

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
I picked her up today!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It is stiff as new, so pulled it apart to clean and lube it.  It is dry as a bone inside, with traces of dried oil. and a slight hint of surface rust on some inside parts.  I doubt if it has been lubed (or even fired) since it was new in 1976, 42 years ago!  I am removing the lever safety with its truck spring heavy leaf spring (half of the trigger spring actuates to lever safety).  I will keep it in a baggie.  I am going to grease some stuff, but I decided not to polish any springs or anything, but keep it stock.  I'll post some pics. later.

It is really sweet, and I think it will be a favorite CAS rifle.

More to come....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 09:16:46 PM »
The carrier on this is BARELY big enough for the 44-40 and has a 1866 side cut!  I know they made some 1866 in 38 special at about the same time as these (pre-Uberti),so maybe used the same carriers?  Also, I know back then they had lots of original old gun parts.  Maybe used original 1866 carries hogged out slightly to take the 44-40 round?

Another thing, the extractor is milled out of the same piece as the bolt.  It is not flexible like the original Winchester 1873 type.  Anyone know if the original Henry had a removable extractor?

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:19:36 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
Most happy for you, a tad jealous too.

It conjures up fond memories of mine ....   :)
Still glad I could help get you together with it
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »
Ah... you mention the 38 Cal. 66 ....I had one of those too....
I recall I traded for the 1866 about 1982  if memory serves .
it was an SRC, a sweet rifle...but I never  :o  disassembled it, never a issue either ...sold it in 88 ( same year I sold the NA Henry, which I bought back in 08 and got talked out of again in 16  ::) )
1988 was the year my Daughter was born , and the reason I felt I needed at the time to pad the coffers .

1988 was my pre-SASS entry era , the Henry had been for CW reenating .

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
My good shooting pard, Hanging Judge Hemp, and I are going to a fun match on Sunday.  It is an old style SASS match with smaller, farther targets, goofy lines in the shooting scenarios, and lots of props.  Modeled after the way matches were 20 years ago.  taking the New Jersey made Navy Arms Henry with me.  Judging by what I found the tear down, it is unfired!  Oh well, I don't own a firearm I won't shoot!  It is six stages, though and I am bringing my .38 WCF 1866 short rifle too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »
I'd shoot it too.... Doubt you'll loose for the price you paid for it  :)

Mine on the other hand was well used , no telling how many BP blanks were shot through it  ( BTW my blanks were custom 444 Marlin brass shortened & neck down to feed ) and gaggle of  44/40 live rounds .
The bluing was well worn, and the only issue in all those years was a kinked magazine spring (because of the rotating muzzle has no catch which you already know about on yours )

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
I'd shoot it too.... Doubt you'll loose for the price you paid for it  :)

Mine on the other hand was well used , no telling how many BP blanks were shot through it  ( BTW my blanks were custom 444 Marlin brass shortened & neck down to feed ) and gaggle of  44/40 live rounds .
The bluing was well worn, and the only issue in all those years was a kinked magazine spring (because of the rotating muzzle has no catch which you already know about on yours )

The two biggest tells that a NA Henry is US made and pre-Uberti are the 1866 side plate screw and no lock on the nose end of the magazine.  My spring has no kinks, and the follower was in backwards.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
The two biggest tells that a NA Henry is US made and pre-Uberti are the 1866 side plate screw and no lock on the nose end of the magazine.  My spring has no kinks, and the follower was in backwards.

follower was in backwards ?  WOW  you got the rarest of the rare... your gun shoots the other way  ;)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
...the follower was in backwards.

Sounds like a "leader" instead of a follower.  I've known more than a few "leaders" who "led" from the rear.  Kind of backwards.

All joking aside, I get vicarious enjoyment from your reports about your new rifle.  Thanks.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Thanks!  There is something special about owning this piece of history.  According to my research, they only did 500 24" in 44-40, and 1,000 in the 22" carbine model.  Knowing it was made by the New Haven Arms factory for Navy Arms adds an extra dimension.  Even If I wasn't a CAS shooter, I would treasure this one.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
Another thing, the extractor is milled out of the same piece as the bolt.  It is not flexible like the original Winchester 1873 type.  Anyone know if the original Henry had a removable extractor?

You sure it doesn't just LOOK like it's milled out of the same piece as the bolt?  I just can't see how that would work at all.  The bolt loads the cartridge in a straight line, so the extractor HAS to be able to spring over the rim, doesn't it?

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »

Me and the new Navy Arms Henry at the old time type match today!  Targets and scenarios like they were when SASS started.  25 yard rifle target, 10-12 yard pistol target, and NONE were the popular 24"x24" plates.  You actually had to aim.  I shot clean with the Henry, except the last darn shot of the match! LOL.  Boy this sucker is tight.  It was unfired until today.  The pistols are an 8" barreled Cimarron 1860 Type II Richards Conversion in .45, and a Pietta 1851 .44 Caliber with a 4 3/4" barrel, and a Kirst gated Konverter in .45, with Kirst ejector rod assembly.

Also, on closer inspection, I believe the 1860 does have a separate extractor, not milled as part of the bolt.  Fit is SO tight and close, it looked like one piece.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 09:55:55 PM »

TRUELY OUTSTANDING!!   ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
Lookin' pretty svelte there, Mr. Lawman   :)

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 05:27:37 AM »
I blame myself  ;D    ;D

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
LOL!  Those are my Sunday goin' to meeting" duds.  I figured since it was my first date with an elegant lady (the 1860), I ought to dress accordingly!

Me in my "Working Duds" with my prior Henry

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
Now I have to load up more 44-40.  I have 250 rounds of 38-40 for the 1866, but just one box of .44 WCF left after Sundays match.  The Henry loved my load of 7.0 grains Trail Boss with a .428 Bear Creek or Missouri Bullet company 200 grainer.  That load, not coincidently, gives me 1120 fps!!!  Imagine that, the same velocity and bullet weight of the original .44 Flat rimfire.  It is way below "the full case to base of bullet being maximum" alternative of Hodgdon.  They said fill the case, and then figure 70% for a starting load.  This is actually only about 85%.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2019, 02:42:19 AM »
My wife and I were having a lazy day today, so we decided to do a Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove marathon on DVD.  It the scene where they take on Jake Spoon and the rustlers, you get a brief close up of the receiver of Cpt. Call's Henry.  It clearly had the 1866 type side plate takedown screw, meaning it was an early Navy Arms manufactures Henry like mine.  Not too surprising, as in 1987 when they were filming it, the Uberti made 1860s were not too common either.  I have to confess that seeing Gus and Call with their Henry rifles when Lonesome Dove when it first came out caused me to want a Henry when I started in SASS in 1994.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
They did a pretty good job with guns and gear for the most part.  In both movies, there were  number of cartridge conversions (both Remington and Colts).  Probably real ones, though maybe Millingtons or someone else's/
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com