Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing Single Action  (Read 7881 times)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Standard Manufacturing Single Action
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »
So you have to hit the impact driver with a small hammer?  I guess I'd have to secure the firearm in something other than my left hand, but it sure sounds worth it not to have to worry so much about buggering screw heads.  I know my nervousness was somewhat apparent in my video, but I was far more uneasy than I let on.  Thanks for the link!

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
There are other ways to deal with tight screws in a new gun.  I'd put impact driver right up to last resort on the list.  In my example above,  the old screw was buggered beyond repair. I had tried penetrating oils, heat,  the screwdriver with a ratchet and it still wouldn't break loose.

In the case of your gun,  I would have tried to secured it in a vise the best I could without damaging it. And try using a screwdriver with a ratchet wrench. Better yet,  with the bit in a drill press.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
Cliff, mine also looks similar to that.   Glad to know they can still be found.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:23:13 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:37 PM »
https://www.garrettwade.com/pro-screw-loosening-impact-driver-set-gp.html?SCID=W4011000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj6ysyMOg3gIV0kwNCh0RBw89EAYYASABEgIx-_D_BwE

This is the exact one I have, I actually have a couple but this smaller one in this set is the best one for gun work.

I lay the gun on a rug and push down firmly and give the driver a little whack, doesn't take much to jar the screw loose then can be loosened the rest of the way by hand.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
There are other ways to deal with tight screws in a new gun.  I'd put impact driver right up to last resort on the list.  In my example above,  the old screw was buggered beyond repair. I had tried penetrating oils, heat,  the screwdriver with a ratchet and it still wouldn't break loose.

In the case of your gun,  I would have tried to secured it in a vise the best I could without damaging it. And try using a screwdriver with a ratchet wrench. Better yet,  with the bit in a drill press.

I'm just the opposite, I put the impact driver up as FIRST resort of a screw even seems a bit stubborn. I've NEVER damaged a screw or had one fail to come loose using the impact drivers but have damaged them trying to do it other ways.

I've even taken out screws that were damaged and stripped to the point a screwdriver wasn't grabbing them. A friend of mine brought a rifle over last winter that he had a screwhead stripped to the point he was thinking we would have to put in a mill and drill out but I smacked it one good time with the driver and got it loose.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com