Author Topic: Removing the spanner nut under the butt plate  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Pete48

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Removing the spanner nut under the butt plate
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
Hi all,
Recently bought an original carbine, SN 39003. The cartridge follower spring is broken and stuck inside the receiver so I need to remove the stock. The nut won't turn with anything I've jury-rigged. Does anybody have a suggestion where the correct size spanner wrench can be found? I have a nice chisel that I can grind down, but hate to do it.

As a matter of interest, the barrel has been replaced with a 20 incher with no serial number, it has a stabler cutoff and a faint but readable ESA cartouche. It's in very nice condition with good wood and lots of case-hardening visible. The bore is bright with strong rifling. The magazine is a later one with grooves in the cover.

I have the new spring and I got a center-fire block from S&S, but it'll need a few thousandths taken off the front end.

Great forum!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Removing the spanner nut under the butt plate
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
Since you tried to make a spanner, I'm not sure what to tell you, except I made one myself, years ago, just using a piece of steel thin enough to fit the slots in the nut.  Grinding down a chisel might be the best, if not the cheapest way.  Good luck with it.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »
Hello:

I have seen nuts that have the slots BEYOND the rear end of the tube and a few others with the slots FLUSH WITH OR BELOW the tube end. 

Which is yours, please?

Please don't try a poorly fitting tool.  No sense damaging nice stuff. 

I had to have FITTED slide in/over spanners made for each type.
Oh, the tips and nearby metal are HARDENED, also.

Also, beware:  If the nut is rusted or fast to the tube, you may risk twisting the entire TUBE AGAINST the rear lockplate screw that can ride in a shallow slot on the outer diameter of the tube. Best to pull that lockplate screw.  If the nut is tight, then the tube may screw out of the FRAME.

There are posts here about some stocks being VERY difficult to pull from the tube because some sort of "asphaltum" coating was placed on them.  This can tightly bond the tube IN the stock.

Both "Blair" and I have encountered Spencer buttstocks that were STUCK on the outer magazine tube.
If it IS AN ASPHALTUM coating, careful use of a heat source IN the tube may loosen it.

Mine was RUSTED and the only way I could dislodge it was to loosen the NUT ONE TURN and gently hammer the outer end of the nut WHILE ON the threads to nudge the RECEIVER forward a micro-inch.  It took five HOURS of one-turn applications until it broke free.  The total amount was maybe 1/4 inch WITH PLENTY OF NUT-THREAD BEARING TO PREVENT DAMAGING THREADS.  DO NOT try to TWIST the stock on the tube or the asymetrical joint between the stock and receiver will be damaged!

I will send Two Flints photo's of my spanners to add here.

Thanks, Two Flints, for attaching the photo's.  The hole in the right one is rifled. 
Old barrel blank cut-offs are useful.  Kevin
Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:11:25 AM »

Offline Pete48

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. The slots are partially above the end of the tube and partially below. The position is dependent on how far the nut has screwed on. I have a spare original nut and it's half an inch deep with slots that are an eighth inch deep. Without miking it I'd say about half the depth of the slots are exposed above the tube. So whatever I use needs to bypass the tube so it can grab the full depth of the slots. The nut is an eighth thick and the slots are an eighth long. That means the wrench has to have protruding ears that are an eight in all directions.

I'm thinking I can grind the end of a large chisel or find a suitable socket to shape. It would sure be easier to find something off the shelf.

In any case it would be helpful to see what your spanners look like, so please ask Two Flints to post them. Thanks for that and the other tips, too!

Pete

Offline Pete48

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
Trailrider - thanks for your input.

Pete

Offline Pete48

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
Thank you Kevin and Two Flints. Those are nice, professional tools. I need one like the one on the right and I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll try a machine shop like you did. Didn't think of that before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com