Author Topic: Where is everyone?  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: Where is everyone?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 07:26:27 AM »
Amen FCK,
I remember shooting my first BP revolver in 1992/1993.  I had built it from a kit.  We were out in the boonies, and I thought I was pretty sure that I had an idea of what to do.   A friend, who had an early cell phone, stood about 20 yards behind me with another friend.   Their theory was if it did not blow up, they would come shoot, if it did, they would call for an ambulance.  When the internet exploded, I learned I did kind of have a pretty sure idea of what to do.  ha.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
Anyone else remember that Mike Venturino article titled something to the effect "What Would Wyatt Say?" that was written about 10 - 12 yrs. ago?

This?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/What+would+Wyatt+say%3F+Wimp+loads%2C+close+targets+and+high-tec+mods%3A...-a0151841998
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:10:58 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
I hate to burst bubbles (NO I don't).  The measurable drop in numbers for SASS/CAS has very little, if anything to do with folks shooting light loads at big ... close .... targets.

Light loads and BIG .... CLOSE .... targets has had exactly the opposite effect.  Participation increased until it peaked several years ago.  The decline in the numbers participating in SASS/CAS has a simple cause/effect.  The current participants are .... OLD guys and gals for the most part.  The Boomers whom grew up on Saturday Matinees, B Westerns and Cowboy TV shows  play CAS.  There are none of those past times to get youth interested in dropping the controller and going outside.  If it ain't on a Big Screen, In 4K, it ain't ahppinin.

CAS IS DIEING.  Clawing and scratching, kicking and yelling, but going away.  As the current Participants AGE and QUIT, it's lights out.  Don't blame BIG and CLOSE.  Besides, with our eyesight, we NEED big and close.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

Now lets get back to where is everyone.  I mean the guys and gals who still play the game with Henry Rifles!!  Where are ya hiding??  Lets get with the program.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
Amen FCK,
I remember shooting my first BP revolver in 1992/1993.  I had built it from a kit. 

Ah My Good Mogorilla -

I had the same experience! except....
it was 1974....

Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

My Dear Coffin -
are you referring to her?:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/C6xECy12IyIrm/giphy.gif
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
Being the ray of sunshine that I am, a new video game is coming out in a few weeks that should be the best selling video game of 2018.    Care to guess the subject of this game?  That's right, a western, 'Red Dead Redemption 2'

Maybe this will entice more young folk?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
Tornado,

Sounds, and seems like fun. I might even enjoy it. But then I have gotten out of doors, shot real firearms, camped and eaten in the rough, and worked with horses in the field. This video would only allow me to relive what I have already done and in my life!
I can't help but wonder how his type of video would get young folks out from behind their climate controlled computer key boards?
I am 69 years old. Done this sort of thing all of my life, and I don't know how to get the younger generation involved if they are not willing to go out of doors.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
Reminds me of the commercial...

"Ring...Ring....." Hellooooooo ( grandma say's sweetly )

Fat little twerp  ...." Hey grandma !  how 'bout a nutter grape soda ? " 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »
 I'v killed those bad guy's so many times ,,, " Red dead , Origional " & the Civil war ,, I think they help to sharpen your eye's and reflexes ,, that computer thing'y that holds the disc ,,, hit by lighting ,, smoked it , Maybe o'l Santa will bring me a new ( older ) one .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
Have already preordered RDRII.    I have already told my wife to expect no verbal response from me that weekend.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »

I suddenly feel like a Neanderthal.  In all honesty, the very LAST video game I played was ........ Wait For It ......... PONG.  Never played any of the latest (or even almost latest) generation of Video Game.  Have watched commercials on TV for the latest Video Games and been amazed at the quality of the graphics.  Still haven't played any.  Don't know that I ever will.  Absolutely no interest.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
This?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/What+would+Wyatt+say%3F+Wimp+loads%2C+close+targets+and+high-tec+mods%3A...-a0151841998

I was at the last CAS shoot Mike Venturino shot at Couer D'Alene(?), Idaho. He was disgusted with the wimp loads and the lengths some would go to to shoot BP in expensive custom brass.

He told me that he was going into BPCR Silhouette shooting because Steve Garbe was adamant that it would NOT go the way SASS went - 100% BP and lead bullets, no gas checks.

He was right then and now. Anything else is just excuses. Shoot Cowboy or go home!

We stagger targets at our club, with no target being closer than 10m. Rilfe targets start at 20m and go out from there. Some people will not shoot with us, and we couldn't care less.

I no longer attend US shoots as I refuse to jump through the hoops to take guns across the DMZ. The BATF folks make the rcmp (note the lack of capitals) look reasonable by comparison. I've even had a fight on my hands bringing my guns back into Kanuckistan!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
Well fellows I still play with the old guns and even hunt with them from time to time. Haven't been to a sass shoot for years! When the wife and I started the game it was to play cowboy, it degenerated into pure competition with no fun factor for us. We even ran a small match at our locale club for a couple of years. Many scenarios required the shooter to say something like “ Give me the loot!” Or some corny line on the clock and even light a stick of fake dynamite befor a shot could be fired. I was never fast and would miss from time to time but when sass was to play cowboy it was fun. Oh and I still dress old west sometimes just because. If it’s dead I’m glad I was around to play it.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 04:22:33 AM »
I had Oregon Trail, came loaded on a computer I owned. Messed with it a few times, recall I shot so much game I crapped out cause I didn't gather water or other necessities of survival ...hell I just shot stuff  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com