Author Topic: "73 Uberti Blow Up  (Read 19904 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: "73 Uberti Blow Up
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
I'm sorry I even mentioned the incident. Now we're down to how fast he operated the rifle. Yes, he's pretty quick, but so fast that a full house BP squib (????) wouldn't be noticed? Yeah, right ......

All the speculation and theories, especially those coming from people who haven't even read the previous comments on the topic are becoming an irritant.

Please - forget I said anything about the matter.

PJ
Please -----I was not having a go at you or your friend - just saw a bit of common ground in the firearms - have watched that boy of mine wind that yellow boy up on numerous ocasions - he dont hit real good with it at that speed but as a kid he was doctor bait because of poor hand eye co ordination - we have run a speed event at our local club ever since he got that gun as a teenager (hes 40 now) - one minute rapid fire at 25 yards, starts with gun empty and rounds on the ground - the target is a spider catching a fly - he won it a couple of times, but in all that time, nobody has got close for rounds loaded and fired in the time limit. I watch that - and - poor hand eye ! man - they had to be joking!!! My comment was just a muse based on that - I really did wonder whether he would stop in time if he fed a squib load. Same question even more so for the plink. pfftt, plink, pfftt, race gun fellers. So whatever it was about this offended you I apologise many times over, it sure was not my intent .   

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »
Ok
After offending our good friend PJ -- I went back and read this all over again - Coffinmaker tole us ta do that several post ago but sometines ya gotta hit me with a brick -
How did I miss this from wildman ??? shoulda been printed in letters two foot high !!! We have two of these small pin guns - If this mod is doable mine will get done very soon and the other very soon after that

There is a modification for the 73's with the small or large pin retaining the firing pin extension. A set screw can be installed in the bottom of the back of the bolt that will go into a milled slot in the bottom of the firing pin extension. The retaining pin will still shear but the extension will no longer exit the back of the rifle.
wM1

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »
No apologies necessary. I over reacted.

The explanation of the firing pin extension seems the most likely cause, even tho' the rifle was of current manufacture.

The firing pin sure did exit the back of the rifle, just missing my wife. I don't want to witness any more such events.

They make for good palaver, and some good info gets passed around between pards.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:17:17 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
No apologies necessary. I over reacted.

The explanation of the firing pin extension seems the most likely cause, even tho' the rifle was of current manufacture.

The firing pin sure did exit the back of the rifle, just missing my wife. I don't want to witness any more such events.

They make for good palaver, and some good info gets passed around between pards.

Somethin had to start the process and your original surmise of some leftover titegroup in the measure hopper seems the most likely.

I checked my 66 and the setscrew idea that Wildman proposed - not easy, but is doable I think so long as that part of the bolt is soft enough to tap. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

La De Da De Da .......

Oh .... Hi  :D    It's me again.  :o

Here is a real simple thing.  Understanding that nothing is absolutely fool proof.  Uberti no longer supports any parts for the Bolt/Extension rod(s) that are retained by the tiny little cross pins.  Should you need parts, you must buy a "KIT" that contains a redesigned bolt, a new firing pin and return spring and a redesigned Extension Rod.

The "KIT" bolt is milled for a rocker plate, retained by the link pivot pin in the back of the bolt.  The extension rod is also milled to accept the rocker plate.  Very Very secure.  The "KIT" retails for about 100 Bucks.  No doe, just Bucks.  Contact VTI Gunparts.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Looks like it could be or has been recognized as a potential problem.

I'm glad that in the case of my friend, it didn't come to light in a Coroner's inquest.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »
For those who have been following this thread, there is an article of interest in the current issue of "Handloader" magazine by Terry Wieland entitled - "Forensic Ballistics & Unsolvable Puzzles".

He mentions a couple cases where forensic analysis was unable to determine the cause. In one case, it was a Ruger #1 in .308 that blew up after 14 rds of the same ammo were fired. The powder used made it impossible to double charge without overflow. Even if a heavier bullet had been inadvertently loaded, the powder charge was within safety parameters.

In another, a .270 rd that had an enlarged primer pocket after half a dozen shots with the same ammo. The powder was a slow burning type that filled the case to capacity. All remaining bullets and ammo were checked for consistency.

In both cases, charges were weighed after being thrown by a powder measure. He is still baffled by the incidents.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Exactly why I dip every load and check the cases for depth. If anything looks wrong most likely it is wrong.
I load on a Dillon and have a funnel in the powder die. The idea of a half pound of Gun Powder right in my face makes me nervous.
It may be slower, but it is safer.
Yes I know there is no problem using BP in a powder measure but I don't care. i have used up all my 9 lives a lond time ago.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
Lots to ponder in this thread  -- especially for one with a new Uberti 73 in .44 WCF inbound.
As to detonations, I believe none other than Mike Venturino suffered one of these some years ago with a Colt Single Action Army, but I cannot recall what his conclusion was.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2019, 02:52:08 PM »
I think MV is a believer that light powder charges in big pistol cases is a no-no.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com