Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing SA Now Available!!??  (Read 8438 times)

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Standard Manufacturing SA Now Available!!??
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
Just dropped in to STDguns website and sure as heck looks like their much anticipated SA is now available for order!  I know there’s some mixed emotions on this one but I don’t think I’m the only one that is surprised to see these things actually hit the market.  Looks like a dang fine gun and they’ve now provided a more detailed description of manufacturing specs.  However, at a price point of almost $1,900.00 I think folks might be a little slow to add one to the cart!  All that being said, as a die-hard USFA fan, I have to say it’s pretty dang exciting to see another US produced SA alternative to those legendary pony guns...
http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver/

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: Standard Manufacturing SA Now Available!!??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
I too was surprised to see them actually bring this single action to market, and happy to see it come about. If their quality is on par withe the late USFA guns I might well be a buyer. But, I admit instead of putting in an order I e-mailed them to ask if they have any plans to offer a black powder frame model. (smile)

Dave

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:52:47 PM »
Ha, I also shot them an email and I second the black-powder frame request!  I’m eagerly anticipating a few folks who are a little more lose with their spare change, getting a hold of some of these and offering all of us some detailed feedback.  Guns and Ammo published a write-up on them in late June that’s worth checking out.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:47:53 PM »

Offline tabs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »
Where are they made?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »
  they are in New Britain, Connecticut

Claim they are shipping now, we'll see
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
  they are in New Britain, Connecticut

Claim they are shipping now, we'll see

They are shipping and are arriving:

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/341421-standard-manufacturing-serial-5-has-arrived.html

CHT

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Outstanding

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »

The G&A review can be found here: http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/review-standard-manufacturing-sa-revolver-engraved/

I have a 3/4" on order, should arrive within a couple of weeks.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
Hope you mean a 4-3/4". (smile)

Dave

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
Marshall Halloway,
Great seeing you back here on the USFA forum!
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »
What is the wait time on a new order. No dealers in my area

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Hope you mean a 4-3/4". (smile)

Dave

Yeah, otherwise we'll be looking for it in one of the "show us your belly gun" topics.  :)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »
Please correct me if I am wrong (and I often am), but I was initially under the impression that Standard acquired some, if not much, of USFA's CNC milling machines back when USFA gave up on the SAA.  Any truth to this?  If so, that would mean that Standard, like USFA before them, will most likely be replicating the dimensions of the Uberti frame, not that of Colt.  Nothing wrong with that as USFA has previously proven.
At one point, towards the end, USFA offered an "original style Colt frame."  It wasn't.  It was their standard duplicate of the Uberti frame but with a smaller cylinder window to accommodate Colt's original, somewhat smaller, cylinder dimensions.  It was quite a bit pricier than their standard offerings and, as such, wasn't much of a "seller" as the dimension differences were minimal at best.  It would be interesting to know how many of those guns they actually sold.
It will be interesting to see where Standard goes, and I wish them well.  It would be nice if their prices were a bit more reasonable, making acquiring one of their guns a bit less financially painful.  
Their product line is limited right now.  Standard barrel lengths, .45 caliber only and no black powder style frames.  But what if they could pick up the gauntlet and start offering the variations and custom features (Bisley style hammers, elongated trigger guards, bird's head grips, etc.) that made USFA, though relatively short-lived, the SAA standard that they had become?  Who know?  Again, I wish Standard the best.  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
" But what if they could pick up the gauntlet and start offering the variations and custom features (Bisley style hammers, elongated trigger guards, bird's head grips, etc.) that made USFA, though relatively short-lived "

You mean repeat history, and bankrupt ?

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
Lots of speculation on the subject Capt.  I can tell you that I asked a Standard rep to offer some clarification on the subject and they adamantly denied any connection with USFA, ie no machinery, tooling, former employees etc...

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 02:44:01 AM »
This subject has only minor interest to me (and other UK shooters) as I cannot own one of these guns. But I have to ask, if USFA guns were so good and folks were seemingly more than willing to pay the price, why did they go belly-up?

Chance

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
the 1911 board has this explanation "

Gary Granger of US Firearms had stated that they should have never tried to make all the parts as it wasn't possible to turn a profit on that way of production.

This company was always Doug Donnelly's "pet". He is the owner of US Firearms and had complete control over the company. Fortunately his passion for the SAA led to the creation of some of the best production handguns that were EVER made.

Unfortunately it seems it also led to him coming up with crockpot ideas like the "Shot Pistol", "Rainbow" colored Single Actions and countless other vapor ware projections. Where is the Remington 1875? The Woodsmen? USFA would over promise and under deliver when it came to "new" projects. How much money was wasted on all these "new" models that never hit store shelves? Now we have the "ZIP" pistol...bottom...meet rock. And by the way guess who "invented" the ZIP pistol? That would be Mr. Donnelly himself. The Emperor has no clothes.

The company as we knew it is dead and gone. US FIREARMS is nothing more than a shadow of its old self. The tooling is gone, the craftsmen that built machined, perfectly time and beautifully finished six-guns have left the building and US Firearms has truly followed in Colt's previous footsteps by being their own worst enemy(poor management).

In an ironic twist for years the Colt fans would laugh and scoff at how a "USFA will never grow in value and never be as valuable as the REAL DEAL". Well it appears that USFA revolvers now sell for obscene prices on all the gun auction sites since they will never be made again. For those who invested in a USFA you now own a collectors piece of firearms history.

Fortunately USFA did cause Colt to get off their butt and start putting out some quality SAA revolvers and today Colt is making as nice a SAA as they have for many decades. So USFA legacy is not only did they bring out the arguable the best SAA clone or otherwise that has ever been made but they created a stir at Colt which has resulted in Colt producing some of the best SAA's that they have ever made

As good assessment, as any , and to my point of Standard, best not repeating Donnelly's mistakes.

" But what if they could pick up the gauntlet and start offering the variations and custom features (Bisley style hammers, elongated trigger guards, bird's head grips, etc.) that made USFA, though relatively short-lived "

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 05:36:28 AM »
Chance, like it or not, USFA went belly up on the SA for the same reason Colt’s SAA production has slowed to a death crawl...there is no market!  Let’s face it guys, if there was “gold in them hills” the US players who do it well would still be doing it, at prices that would turn a profit.  Basic supply and demand.  I’ve got PLENTY of buddies that will drop $2,000.00 in an AR build...and maybe 1 that is even remotely interested in these “old cowboy guns”.  Case in point, head to your local Cabela’s and try to count the number of guys in cargo shorts clambering up “Mt. Polymer”, then turn your attention to the uninhabited waste land that is the old dusty SA counter...good luck Standard...

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
Please correct me if I am wrong (and I often am), but I was initially under the impression that Standard acquired some, if not much, of USFA's CNC milling machines back when USFA gave up on the SAA.  Any truth to this?  If so, that would mean that Standard, like USFA before them, will most likely be replicating the dimensions of the Uberti frame, not that of Colt.  Nothing wrong with that as USFA has previously proven.
At one point, towards the end, USFA offered an "original style Colt frame."  It wasn't.  It was their standard duplicate of the Uberti frame but with a smaller cylinder window to accommodate Colt's original, somewhat smaller, cylinder dimensions.  It was quite a bit pricier than their standard offerings and, as such, wasn't much of a "seller" as the dimension differences were minimal at best.  It would be interesting to know how many of those guns they actually sold.
It will be interesting to see where Standard goes, and I wish them well.  It would be nice if their prices were a bit more reasonable, making acquiring one of their guns a bit less financially painful.  
Their product line is limited right now.  Standard barrel lengths, .45 caliber only and no black powder style frames.  But what if they could pick up the gauntlet and start offering the variations and custom features (Bisley style hammers, elongated trigger guards, bird's head grips, etc.) that made USFA, though relatively short-lived, the SAA standard that they had become?  Who know?  Again, I wish Standard the best.  

At the price they are asking there will be no gauntlet of guns. you can buy pretty darn nice older Colts for what they are asking.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
I guess I am a bit confused with regard to our reasoning concerning the pricing of Standard Manufacturing’s new single action. We all know that building a quality single action in the USA such as the later USFA’s and selling them at what we thought were reasonable prices, but now realize not allowing for sufficient profit (the USFA Rodeo model a prime example) will cripple a company’s ability in keeping the doors open. I realize as do we all that bad decisions were also in large part attributable to USFA’s demise. We all know that quality doesn’t come cheap especially in the USA. I am thinking that perhaps their $1900 price isn’t all that unreasonable. I wish they were closer to the earlier $1500 advertised price but they are not and probably for justifiable reason since quality labor, equipment, and material isn’t cheap either. I would like to have one but just can’t bring myself to currently justify spending the money for one since I already have some USA made USFA’s to shoot. But, who knows what I might decide in the future.      
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com