Author Topic: 38 spl. brass ,,std length ?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
38 spl. brass ,,std length ?
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:50:53 PM »
 I have a couple hundred rds. of 38 spl. ( nickle & brass ) Lyman # 49 manual , calls case trimmed to 1.149 ,, I only found 40 some pieces that were of that length ,, all the rest were from 1.140-1.145 ish' ,, will be loading 125gn.rnfp ,,158 rnfp ,,for 72 OT & S&W
 A while back I bought some 125gn. loads from a CAS shooter ,, mic.  a couple fired cases they were (are ) 1.145 ,, so where am I missing " STD " length ,to get 1.155 OAL ????  Neither bullet is a Keith style ,,they are CAS for lite loads.

smoke'm if y'a got'm ,,Hootmix.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 38 spl. brass ,,std length ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
Lyman is probably not going to tell you to use a 357 Magnum COL. If not crimping in the crimp groove, the bullet and trim length dictating the resulting COL, we're on our own, whatever works.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
 Hey Roscoe,, it would appear so .

smoke'm if y'a got'm ,, Hootmix .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:46:46 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »

Da Da Da Da Da Da ......... Oh, 'scuse me, I didn't mean to butt in (Oh yes I did) Butt > > > > >   I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of seven or eight THOUSAND 38 cases from those Halcyon days of yesteryear when I pursued the Brass Ring.  Lots and lots of 38Spl cases.

I personally NEVER ever trimmed 38Spl cases.  I don't actually know anyone who ever sat down (or stood up) and trimmed 38Spl cases.  It is a total waste of time and effort.  Trimming will accomplish absolutely ......... NOTHING.

Here are the important considerations.  Does your powder load fit??  Does your crimp die Crimp??  Do you seat your bullets to the crimp groove +/- ???  If your shooting a Toggle link rifle, does the round fit the Carrier Block??  If your shooting in a Hand gun, does the round not stick out past the cylinder Face?? 

If your loaded ammunition fits the cylinder or carrier block, the Combined Overall Length is meaningless.  I full well understand there are those of a precision bent (OCD) whom will now instantly Swoon, but there it is.  Additionally, over time, and multiple loadings, straight wall pistol cases don't stretch.  As in don't get longer.  They get shorter.  Tiny amounts, but shorter.  That doesn't matter either.  So long as your crimp die is crimping, case length is immaterial.  As the cases get shorter, adjust your crimp die.  Pretty simple.

Keep reading those Loading Manuals.  TONS ...... TONS of really essential information. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:18 PM »
I also pay no attention to the listed OAL. I adjust my seating die to seat the bullet to the point that it will get crimped in the crimp groove.  If for some reason you want to make the OAL longer, usually done because some particular rifle feeds better with a longer round, then the crimp die should cause the case mouth to bite into the side of the lead bullet enough that it will not push deeper into the case while working its way through the tubular magazine.

These are CAS loads, of course.  If you are loading max loads then seating bullets deeper than called for can cause overpressure, but that's another topic.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
As the cases get shorter, adjust your crimp die.

And there you go, needing to measure and segregate case lengths and probably head stamps, definitely Remington (R.P). The case length has everything to do with the quality, consistency, and effectiveness of the crimp. When not crimping in the bullet's crimp groove, I expect the trim length would be even more important, because the grip on the bullet is not as mechanical. If the lead is soft enough to yield to crimping, forming its own groove,  it may be soft enough to give way also, especially if cases are short for the crimp setting.

The time to trim is on new brass and when brass from other sources creeps into your supply of fired brass. Measuring and head stamp sorting is just part of brass prepping.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
I spent a good hour last night sorting brass ,, mostly WW ,, a few Federal's ,,etc.,etc. ,putting all in a cleaning solution  ( sonic cleaner ), maybe its just me but the WW seams to clean up easier , all the brass is older brass i'v had for years ( a friend gave me ) will be ck'n for each pc. for cracks , and etc.  Haven't loaded 38's in years .

smoke'm if y'a got'm ,, Hootmix.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »

And there you go, needing to measure and segregate case lengths and probably head stamps, definitely Remington (R.P). The case length has everything to do with the quality, consistency, and effectiveness of the crimp. When not crimping in the bullet's crimp groove, I expect the trim length would be even more important, because the grip on the bullet is not as mechanical. If the lead is soft enough to yield to crimping, forming its own groove,  it may be soft enough to give way also, especially if cases are short for the crimp setting.

The time to trim is on new brass and when brass from other sources creeps into your supply of fired brass. Measuring and head stamp sorting is just part of brass prepping.

But not for CAS or plinking.  I have loaded mixed headstamp .38's (and others) for years.  No need to sort for anything (except 44-40 due to case mouth thickness).  No problems.  Wanna shoot bullseye where some of those things might make a difference?  Fine, but overkill for what most of us are doing.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
 Will be shooting my 72 OT , just plinking and mostly getting back to using a hand gun ,,eye hand thing ,,.

smoke'm if y'a got'm ,,Hootmix .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »

Hey!!  Be careful sticking yer Hand in Yer Eye.  Atz gonna smart yer not careful  ::)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
 I'v tried different cleaning solutions ,, this  is old grungy brass ,,only fair cleaning ,,found a gallon of "OLD "ammonia ,so old it didn't hardly have a smell ,,poured it straight in my ( small ) sonic cleaner ,, 2= 10min, cycles ,, rinsed  ( clean-clean - clean Sgt. Carter ) cleaned it inside & out ,, now I can see the splits - cracks etc.

smoke'm if y'a goy'm ,, Hootmix .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com