Author Topic: Spencer serial number  (Read 2194 times)

Offline flintlock hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer serial number
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »
Hello, new to the forum. Was trying to get some information on a 1860 Spencer carbine I have owned and hunted with for almost 30 years. The serial number is 14247 I believe that puts it in civil war era.  I changed the breech block many years ago to center fire. With a fair bore at best it still shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, at that's fine for western Pa deer woods.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Spencer serial number
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »

Not too often we see your type of long term Spencer use for hunting.

If not prying, how many deer, average distance, longest shot and what is your load, please?

A photo emailed to our Administrator/Moderator can then be attached to your first post.
Thanks.

Respectfully,

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline flintlock hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply, My load is 4 grs. of 4759 and 35 grs. 2ff goex compressed with a milk carton wad over the powder. Rapine 320-375 bullet 30-1 sized to 317 with homemade lube. Loaded with 4 D dies with old Ballard rifle company brass. I have to say of all the guns I own and shoot, nothing compares to shooting my Spencer. 3 does nothing with antlers YET, many groundhogs. After all these years I would like to now know a little history of the gun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:02:41 AM »

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
Am shivering, Flintlock:

That's a 1960's -1970's load.  You ARE experienced!

I used 4759 for 10% of the charge in the mid 70's.  NO MORE THAN THAT!
It increased muzzle velocity about 150fps over straight black.  Well before that, in the late 50's it was 3gr Red Dot dipped with a 22 short case glued to a popsicle stick in the bottom of the case, followed by 3F DuPont. The smokeless cut fouling. Slim Ackerman's trick, first used in cap and ball replica revolvers, I want to recall.

People began to reverse such load proportions, using mostly smokeless and a smidge of black.  Have seen hunters use straight charges of smokeless.  Was called to the local morgue to explain the hole between one corpse's eyes and the breechplug in his brain.   Nasty pressures!  

Currently use RMC brass, lead-dip annealed at 750 degrees for five seconds EACH reloading, 35-3F Swiss, an Accurate #51-320S bullet sized .0015" over groove OD in 18Bhn alloy and Win LRP with SPG lube in a rifle.  SPG or Dewald's MCM lubes are fine with large lube groove in bullet.  No wad.  Decent accuracy.

Hopefully, Two Flints will chime-in with something thrilling on your serial number.

All the best,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline flintlock hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
No not experienced, always thought that 4759 was 1 grain equaled 3 grains black. So 4 Grains 4759 = 12 grains black = 35 black brought me to 42 grains of black. I'm not saying it's safe in any way, it just has worked for me. Maybe I should load a little liter. I started this journey with DGW rim fire brass with the cut out for 22 blanks and round balls! And on the distance, all three does where shot at around 50 yds.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
Hello Flintlock  Hunter,

Shame on you, considering your alias, you should only be hunting with a flintlock!  I have three TVM Jack Garner flintlocks - a 36, and two 50 caliber flintlocks. Took a  coyote with one of my 50 caliber flintlocks . . . a tack driver for sure, but, I digress . . . checked on your Spencer Carbine serial # 14247, which should also be the same serial # appearing on the underside of the barrel after removing the forearm, and a Spencer Carbine, serial # 14250 was issued to Company E, 7th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry in February, 1865.  Serial # 14238 also went to the same unit as did quite a few other Spencer Carbines in the same serial # range.

Hope this helps and is "thrilling" enough for El Supremo  ::)

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline flintlock hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
Thanks so very much. I'm glad it was issued in Pa. And I mostly only hunt with homemade flintlocks. But when I go hunting with a few friends and I think I need more fire power I take my Spencer  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com