Author Topic: Need reloading  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Need reloading
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
Hey Pappy--Ya gotta know someone in your shootin crowd that reloads. Ask them if ya can attend one of their reloading sessions for a bit to see what all is involved and if you want to get into your own reloading. I'd advise if possible it would be someone who uses a single stage press vs a high volume Dillion type as it would give you a overall basic 'how to do'. If you do get some reloading equipment, you stated you don't want to spend a lot-who does, I always in the 42 years of reloading have always used the basics, still reload on the same RCBS single stage press and have always had enough ammo to shoot. IN fact, I love to reload as much as I do shooting. Sometimes reload just for the sake of doing it. Hate case trimming though with a passion, but do it. The two calibers you stated 44 Colt and 44-40, can't say anything about the 44-40 as I don't shoot or reload it, but the 44 Colt I rarely have to trim if at all. Check them prior to reloading, but the caliber is not a case stretcher. Same goes with 45 Colt, 44 Special, and 38 Special brass that are shot at lower velocities with either smokeless or black powder, same could be said with some of the other calibers shot at milder velocities shot at SASS/NCOW shoots.

As far as what equipment to buy (manufacturer/models), I've always stuck with RCBS, Hornady, and Redding (with some Lyman tossed in)  as I liked their products better---but Lee will do the job if you don't want to spend the price difference. I have a long time shooting/hunting friend who uses nothing but Lee and it keeps him supplied with ammo. Basic difference I've always seen is Lee makes more use of aluminum vs cast and steel in a lot of their construction. Gets the job done--ya don't see jets and space craft made of steel hulls and skin. 

I'd check out Midway and Midsouth also for prices as they are a lot better to work with as far as I'm concerned than Amazon. I've done business with them for years.  Check out also the pricing of buying what ya need buying pieces individually or buying one of the complete reloading kits. The complete setup kits are cheaper in the long run, but don't allow you to customize what you want.  I've never bought on the used market, its out their on Ebay and see them at times on shooting forums such as this for used stuff. Few exceptions at gun shows buying used.  Reloading is cheaper than paying retail or even discount pricing for ammo.  Don't know what you were paying your FFL friend, but unless he was doing it at his cost for components and nothing for time or minimal charge, you'll be able to reload and enjoy shooting a lot more than spending several hundred dollars at retail for a weekend shoot. Being I "ain't" a millionaire, if I had to buy ammo for all the calibers of rifle and pistol I shoot, I'd have to get rid of most of what I have or just look at it and/or buy a few boxes once in a long while and flinch every time I pull the trigger.. yep I'm cheap, but not to cheap to reload.

You could get started with nothing but a press and set of dies or two. A set of the Lee powder dippers, a few loading trays (unless ya want to make yer own out of a piece of hard wood with holes drilled in it). A case length gauge or dial micrometer. You could prime on the press or buy one of the Lee Auto Primes which are excellent (on my 2nd one now, wore my first out). Lee does make a hand trimmer that is inexpensive, but I went to a Forester hand crank trimmer years ago as I got tired of spinning 357 cases all the time). Still hate it even with that rig. Unless your one of the few who love to shoot who get into reloading and loathe every minute of doing it, I'd bet you would enjoy doing it for the pleasure of making your own ammo and saving $$$ at the same time. Start with the basics and after a time you'll find what you need and don't need for your reloading needs. Also get reloading manuals and check powder manufacture specs. The Lyman cast bullet reloading manual is almost a 'must' for reloading cast bullets. Check around for bullets on the web, where fellow shooters are getting them, also brass unless you have a good supply. Look for a local shop for powder and primers, to pricey to buy online and pay Hazmat fee's. Some local shops may even have equipment at near or better prices, same for bullets. One I go to a lot is very competitive on a lot of items.   Good luck and "Endeavor to persevere"!!!   How'd this post get so long--I ain't never one to be windy!!!!!

As posted by Slamfire--

Oh heck Pappy ,, all you need is a loading " buddy " to help you get started ,,, No ! ,, Wait their all right "HERE ".
 Gett'n started ain't hard ,, it's the quit'n  that's hard. I would like to see you face after you load your  "FIRST " round ,, what a feeling .  " JUST DO IT" .

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com