Author Topic: Spencer Carbine  (Read 1488 times)

Offline stewie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Carbine
« on: July 04, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »
Hi
My dad has recently purchased an 1860 Spencer carbine in Birmingham UK, as it is classed as an antique here in the UK it can be owned without any licence {its really crap and complicated in the UK} and I would like to find out a little about the carbine, the serial is 26743 and it has a 22" barrel and as it has found its way to Europe I presume that it is one that was sent to France, can anyone tell me anything about its previous life in the US, many thanks.

My dad also owns and shoots an Uberti 1873 Winchester in 45 colt (24" barrel) and 357 (18" Barrel), a Pedersoli Sharps Quigley Model 45/70, an Ardessa Hawken Challenger in 45 Cal and Pietta Navy colt .36 and Remington new army target .44, he loves his cowboy guns.
I shoot an Uberti Henry rifle iron frame in 45 colt and a Pietta Navy colt .44, my other firearms are 303 SMLE 1916 Lithgow, Lee Enfield L39A1, Lee Enfield Enforcer Rifle, Southern Gun Co Speed master 223 Armalite clone, Ruger 10 22 tactical, BSA Martini 22 target rifle and a Remington 1100 practical shotgun, I love the speed and movement of practical shotgun and I am getting as much in as I can before it gets banned here as the government are about to ban 50 Cal rifles and lever release guns even though no crime has ever been committed with either of these rifles in the UK, we are so lucky.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: spencer carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
Stewie,

I checked on your Spencer Carbine, and I hope you took the time to read my Spencer Serial # Information Disclaimer, as posted on my Spencer Shooting Society. Here is the link:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,49949.0.html

Your Spencer Carbine serial # 26743 - the serial # should also appear on the underside of the barrel under the wooden forearm -  may have been issued to one of two possible Civil War units: 

Company L, 2nd New York Volunteer Cavalry in March, 1865; or, or Company B, 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry on March 13, 1865.

Read my Disclaimer, please.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline stewie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: spencer carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
Hi there

Thanks for the quick reply and I am grateful for the info, my dad will be very interested in this, its just nice to be able to hold an historic artefact and discuss where it might have been and who might have handled it. As Brits we are not up to speed on the American civil war, we know the names and places and even though its not our history it is still fascinating and important to the development of firearms technology and has led directly to the modern firearms and reproductions that we enjoy today.

I have read and agree with your disclaimer and I have a similar access to the serial numbers and issuing police forces concerned with the 7.62 Enfield Enforcer police marksman rifle used by British police in the 1970s.

Best Regards

Stuart Cooper

Advertising

Re: Spencer Carbine
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:14 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com