Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2018, 05:23:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Regiment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Regiment  (Read 1237 times)
Guns Garrett
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 10:28:53 am »

I was researching if Infantry NCOs were issued sidearms for the Span-Am War/Philippine War, and found this old (closed) auction listing for an Arsenal-refurbished Colt SAA:

".... This is a typical mismatched artillery from an arsenal re-work. Accompanied by a letter from John Kopec regarding a possible re-work of Colt artilleries at Benicia Arsenal. Also included is a Springfield research service letter identifying this revolver as having been issued to 1st Sgt. William H. Blatchley, a member of Company F, 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry during the Philippine Insurrection. He joined the 20th Kansas Infantry in May 1898 and was mustered out in October 1899. During his service in Philippines, he & his unit were engaged in numerous fights & skirmishes, one of which Sgt. Blatchley is mentioned by name...."

So it appears I may try for an impression of a 1st Sgt (or some other Staff NCO) for my 2019 Muster persona, tho I have chosen to be a member of Company "G", which were mostly recruited from Montgomery County, KS where I live now.  

Montgomery County KIA in the Philippines; Capt David Elliot and Pvt Albert Anibal from my hometown of Coffeyville, 2ndLt William McTaggart from Liberty, and Pvts  Orlin Birlew and Alva Dix from Independence.  The complete roster of all Company members is shown below:

* Co.G 20KVI.jpg (174.54 KB, 546x1050 - viewed 9 times.)

"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301
Duck Creek
NCOWS
Active citizen

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »

Just wanted you gents to know how much I have enjoyed this thread. My great grandfather was a member of the 20th Kansas. He was a Corporal in Company C. I'm told his uniform was donated to the local museum several years ago. I plan to make a visit to the museum and request to view uniform. If allowed to do so I would cheerfully share any photographs I am permitted to take.
Haven't been to a GAF event since they were held in Garnett, KS.  May be time to make a trip to Nebraska in the near future. Your events sound like a lot of fun and a challenge to boot.

Thanks

Duck Creek
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 06:28:00 pm »

Please do!

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
Guns Garrett
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 11:33:47 am »

Duck Creek,
Are you from anywhere around LaFountain or Neodesha?  There used to be a ML club out northwest of Independence near Elk City that had a shooting range, that went by "Duck Creek Muzzleloading Club", or some such...

Do you know where your GrGrandad's uniform is on display?  I have a photo (not mine) of the Fred Funston museum in Iola (posted here earlier) that has the blouses of a Quartermaster Sgt and Sergeant Major.

"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301
Duck Creek
NCOWS
Active citizen

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:06 pm »

I live in the Emporia area. I have heard of the Muzzleloader group you mentioned. The closest I ever got to shooting with that group was down at the Black Dog Trail range.
There was a very small GAF shoot at my place. Paul Swalina planned the shoot. I spent most of the weekend laid up with a kidney stone. We also had to cut things off short Saturday due to severe weather, as I recall. I believe Drydock attended the shoot.
Some time ago I was given a collection of ammunition my great grandfather brought back from the Spanish-American war. It is quite a hodgepodge (from both sides). .45-70, .30-40 Krag, 7mm mauser, and .43 Spanish Reformado. also a large cast iron ball that I assume is a piece of grapeshot from canister artillery round. Must have been a real headache for supply to keep up with!

Duck Creek
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 05:40:41 pm »

I remember that, back in the trees not far from an old stage stop.

Duck Creek
NCOWS
Active citizen

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 05:46:19 pm »

That's the place! I was hoping my memory hadn't failed me (yet).
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 09:05:15 pm »

I thought it was a good location and a fun match.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Regiment « previous next »
Jump to: