Author Topic: Short Stroke kits  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Short Stroke kits
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
Who sells a short stroke kit for a Uberti Henry 44-40 rifle?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Short Stroke kits
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »

Hi Gabe   :D

Currently, there are two manufacturers of SS Kits left.  Use to be three.  The best has retired.  Anyway, Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon offers a real nice example.  It must be fit.  The Cowboys and Indian Store in California also offer really nice kits.  Some fitting may be required.

I would like to add however ..... With "just" a short stroke kit you will not be happy.  You will have a Henry with a nice short stroke that takes three men and girl to operate.  You lose most of the mechanical advantage of the OEM lever travel.  For a Harmonious outcome, you MUST also replace the Lever Side Springs (Slixsprings, some fitting, recommended) and the Main Spring (Slick Magic or The Smith Shop).  Changing those springs will also promote longer life for the moving parts.  Less friction.  Also, you may wish to replace the firing pin and return spring.  Slightly longer firing pin and the return spring is lighter.  Although shortening the OEM return spring may well suffice.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
I appreciate the comment Coffinmaker.  I already have the Smith Shop's Whisper springs installed in my Uberti Henry, although I kept the factory mainspring because the replacement wouldn't reliably fire the cartridges.  Recently, I added a leather wrap to the lever, and that alone has made a big difference in working the action.
I shall look into acquiring and installing a short stroke kit from one of those two sources...thanks for the info.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:25:54 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
Hi Gabe   :D

When your setting up a Toggle Link rifle to "RUN" there are lots of changes to be made.  The Firing Pin Extension Rod needs polished and the Breach Block (Bolt) recess for the extension rod needs de-Burr'd.  The OEM firing pin often has a business end like the leading edge of a Basket Ball and needs reprofile'd to a much smaller "point."  Or .. I would suggest an after-market firing pin that includes a reduced return spring.  Those changes will give you reliable ignition with a reduced Main Spring.  You can also reduce the main spring by placing a small brass washer between the spring and the lower tang.

Biggest deal in your setup, slowly cycle the lever while watching the cartridge rise in the Carrier Block.  The Breach Block MUST fully retract into the frame BEFORE the cartridge rim can hit the cartridge support tab at the bottom of the Bolt.  The cartridge hitting that little tab will break the tab NO BUENO.

PS:  Way back when I set up rifles for competition, "The Cowboys and Indian Store" offered their short stroke kits as Cartridge Specific.  As in Small Bore or Large Bore which simplified the timing of the action.

If you have questions as you go thru your install be sure and holler   8)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »

Hi Gabe   :)

Me.  Again   8)   Back in my Sordid past, "The Cowboys and Indian Store" use to offer their Short Stroke kits as cartridge specific.  As in, a different kit for Small Bore guns (38, 32-20) and Large Bore (44, 45).  The timing on each was different for the different size case rims.  Made timing much easier.  Pioneer kits have to be timed by the installer.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
If I buy a kit, would you be willing to guide me through the installation and its pitfalls?  I am not without skill, but listen when someone has been there before me.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
Absolutely and more than happy to oblige.

Probably need to swap email addresses so we don't clog up the forum though. 

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
I have a whole write up on my website on installing one of these kits in an 1866

Www.rvbprecision.com

Hope it might help.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com