Author Topic: Winchester 1873 Saddle Ring Carbine Cody Letter Question  (Read 3242 times)

Offline alabamagunlover

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 Saddle Ring Carbine Cody Letter Question
« on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
I picked up a Winchester 1873 Saddle Ring Carbine not too long ago. It came with a Cody letter. Today I opened up the envelope and looked at the letter for the first time. Someone had taken a marker and covered up their name and address. I've had a few of these letters before for Colts and Winchesters and this is the first time I've ever seen one with marker on the name and address. Do you think the marker ruins the letter or don't worry about it?  I'm keeping the gun and not reselling it.  Thanks!!  :)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
Re: Winchester 1873 Saddle Ring Carbine Cody Letter Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Marking out the name and address to maintain the privacy of prior owners is not uncommon. I believe that the only time that affects the value is when it is part of the provenance showing ownership by a particular individual. I wouldn't worry about it, but you could always send for a new letter, which would have your name on it. My opinion only.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline alabamagunlover

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:28:30 AM »
Thank you!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:39 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
If the name on the letter means a lot to you and you are keeping the gun you might want to get a new letter with your name on it. That to me makes it nicer.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »

This missive will add no wonderfully material information at all.  AS such it may be considered as SPAM and ignored by all.  If ignored, I won't be the least bit offended.  HOWEVER:

Since I am not a collector of anything (I do have lots of shooters though), my opinion may be thought of a somewhat offensive.  Opinion:  Unless establishing a paper trail for historical provenance, ie;  Prior ownership by some famous or infamous personage, a letter confirming Winchester made the Rifle (duh, we knew that), when it was made (matters not) and where it was originally shipped (now defunct business), the letter is pretty much useless.  I must confess however, it has really impressive letterhead.  Impressive (stolen famous movie line).

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Ah, Coffinmaker. Pissing on the indoor plants at the Officers Mess again? As a fellow shooting enthusiast, I've long held a cynical view of the whole "Cody letter" mystique. I sent them a $20 check from my grandfather's bank when I was a lad in the late 1970's. They cashed it and never bothered to verify the early (4,xxx) 1st Model I had received as a gift from ancestors. F@#k a bunch of Cody letters. I've run a thousand rounds thru that antique rifle this year alone. (I chopped a lot of firewood for that $20 too)
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 04:58:41 AM »
ON the other hand...I have a Cody letter for my 1891 "73"....

I'm not a member of the Cody Museum , but a relation of friend is, he offered so,  it cost me nothing except a deserved thank you ...

I did get the following interesting information

WINCHESTER MODEL 1873- SERIAL NUMBER 389XXX
Serial number applied on June 10, 1891
Type: Rifle                                                                                                                                                                           Caliber: 32                                                                                                                                                                       Barrel Type: Octagon                                                                                                                                                       Trigger: Plain                                                                                                                                                                           Received in warehouse  on June 22, 1891                                                                                                                          Shipped from warehouse  on August 20, 1891,  Order number 9607   

However, mine being a emailed copy didn't have the really impressive letterhead.  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:08:20 AM »
This missive will add no wonderfully material information at all.  AS such it may be considered as SPAM and ignored by all.  If ignored, I won't be the least bit offended.  HOWEVER:

Since I am not a collector of anything (I do have lots of shooters though), my opinion may be thought of a somewhat offensive.  Opinion:  Unless establishing a paper trail for historical provenance, ie;  Prior ownership by some famous or infamous personage, a letter confirming Winchester made the Rifle (duh, we knew that), when it was made (matters not) and where it was originally shipped (now defunct business), the letter is pretty much useless.  I must confess however, it has really impressive letterhead.  Impressive (stolen famous movie line).

It does mean something to collectors if the rifle has a combination of not so common configurations as to if it was shipped that way confirming it is all original. Longer barrels and set triggers. Half round, half magazines, etc.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:32 AM »
If it's just a common old rifle with 24 inch barrel and no extras then it's pretty much a waste to get a letter on it. Collectors I know generally only get a letter to verify various out of the ordinary variations.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »

Well ........ I'm kind of out of the ordinary.  And I'm an Antique.  Some say I have some rather unique features.  I wonder if "they" would issue a letter on "ME" and make me more valuable to Collectors.   Hummmmmmmmmmm  ::)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Reminds me of the story....

A private , wandered around searching the parade grounds picking up shards of paper of all kinds ... He kept mumbling " that's not it " ..." That's not it "

He came under the eye of the captain and then the major ....after a fashion the two determined the private was NUTS ....

As he just kept on looking, picking up & mumbling "That's not it " ....

Finally , the two officers , handed the private the "SECTION 8"  discharge Letter ......That's IT !   the private yelled ....

Here's you letter  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com