Author Topic: Interesting development  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Interesting development
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
Years ago, I did an article about an Uberti 1866 Short Rifle in .38-40 from EMF.  They called it a "Border Rifle."  This was around 2004 when the "short rifle" concept was just introduced by EMF.  Through a long chain of circumstances, this very same rifle is coming home back to me. 

This rifle was the most accurate CAS rifle I have ever fired, doing three shots in one hole at 25 yards from a improvised rest of two stacked milk crates. I later got under 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with it.  It was more accurate than my  Marlin 1894 Century Limited I had at the time.

I still have brass and dies, so I just had to order some bullets from Missouri Bullet Company.  I am not selling my 44-40 Henry, but this will make a nice change for a main match rifle.  To say I am excited is an understatement... ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Interesting development
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
Nice when that happens!

Makes you a "rifle loony". Other such things are:

- you work out all the bugs in a gun only to sell it and buy it back, or one similar

- you buys dies for a calibre of rifle you don't own - yet

I've done both ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
That 38-40 Short rifle is a nice combination. I was(am) always on the lookout for any 38-40s and about 20 yrs ago got tired of looking for one. I had a 24" Uberti 1866 in 45 Colt that was awful with blackpowder. I could barely finish one stage before the thing would begin to lock up. That gun became a 20" 38-40 short rifle (I had it converted)and I have never regretted it. It turned out so well that another 24" Uberti 1866 45 Colt that I acquired used in trade became a 44-40 short rifle, converted by the same friend.
 Happy to hear your "old friend" is returning home and hope you never consider getting rid of it unless, of course you call me! ;)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:50 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
Cool beans!

Although the "short rifle" came about somewhat earlier than that.  Got my Cimarron 20" .44 Spcl 1866 in 2000.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »
I have the .38-40 1866 Short Rifle in my hands as we speak.  Perfect, except he had some "gun slicker" do a tune up and he ground the main spring down to the point of only 60-70% reliable.  I ordered a new Uberti spring for $21.  Until then, I have laminated a half spring (an 1873 Uberti spring that snapped in half) under the spring so it adds its tension to give the hammer more snap. That should work until the replacement spring arrives.

I also have 500 rounds of Starline and Black Hills .38-40 brass, 1,000 WLP primers, 5+ pounds of Trail Boss, five Cheyenne .38 WCF Cartridge boxes, 500 Missouri Bullet Company .401", 180 grain RNFP.  Looks like I need to reload some ammo.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
I have the .38-40 1866 Short Rifle in my hands as we speak.

Wow.  You're a great typist!  How do you do that with the rifle in your hands?  Maybe because it's a short rifle?  ;)

I'm glad that you got your gun back.  What a great caliber!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
LOL, Actually it was in my lap!  I have long been a fan of the .38 WCF. 

For several years in the 1990s, I used an 1881 vintage 1873 in .38 WCF.  It had a 24" round barrel and a "shotgun" style stock.  I paired it with a 1899 vintage Colt 1873 with  5 1/2" barrel.  If I could have had an 1860 Henry in 38 WCF, I would. I can safely say my favorite rifle cartridge is the .38-40.  They are not common and not cheap.  Through the years, I have often defaulted to the 44-40 because it is easier.  The average pistol in .38 WCF performs almost identically to the .40 S&W.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »

Way COOL!!  Would though, that you had opted for an available reduced Main Spring.  Uberti rifles are WAY oversprung.  Were it mine, I'd sub with Slixsprings for the lever side springs and a reduced Main from either The Smith Shop or Slick Magic.  Just me.  Really reduces the wear and puts the "friendly" back in "user friendly."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
True, but when you replace the lifter and lever springs, then you go to light weight lifters, etc.  The current Uberti 1866 replacement springs are "waisted" and may be lighter. You want to talk about heavy springs, I have an original 1873 hammer spring, and it is a tank!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »

Skuse Me??  Why would lighter Lever Side Springs lead directly to a "lighter" Carrier Block.  Does not compute.  The Lever Side Springs do not power the Carrier Block.  The carrier side spring only powers the carrier block down.  And not real well if the carrier gets dirty (not a problem with a 38-40).  In a rifle that creates a gummy carrier block (45 Colt) I also highly recommend Positive Slam Down be added.  The Lever side side spring only serves to hold the lever in the up position when loading.  Don't need a "truck" spring for that.  In all the Years I built up toggle link rifles, I could never figure out why Uberti built their rifles with those Gawd awful Springs.  It still makes absolutely no sense.  It isn't as if the primary market for their products hasn't complained about it for the past 30 years.  Sheesh.  Oh, almost forgot, an OEM Carrier Block also lends mass inertia to the operation of the action.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
I didn't make that up.  On one of the sites selling the slick springs, they say they should only be used with light weight aluminum carriers.  I've been shooting Uberti toggle link for most of my 24 years in CAS.  never had any undue wear.  They do tend to be heavy, though.  I usually use a square of leather under the hammer spring.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »

Ah Ha.  Dawn breaks in the West.  Another superlative way to market unnecessary after-market add ons.  In those halcyon days of yore, spring technology was ....... abysmal.  To circumvent failure ... Make em HEAVY.  It worked.  Also, "In The Beginning" (stolen famous book line) toggle link rifles were not chambered in heavy brass straight walled pistol calibers.  Original Henry, 44 Henry Flat, was a soft coper case that sealed the chamber nicely.  Rifle shot very clean. 

Enter the '73.  Never chambered for a heavy brass straight walled pistol caliber.  44-40, 38-40, 32-20 were about it.  As we all know, they run clean.  No need for Positive Slam Down.  Chambering in 45 Colt and CAS changed all that.  Without a bunch of attention, the 45 Colt runs Dirty.  44 Special runs dirty, 38 Spl runs a little dirty.  So, the Carrier block gets sticky.

In a stock Uberti, or original Winchester, The Carrier Side Spring powers the Carrier Block down.  With a clean carrier, this is no problem but a mite stouter spring helps.  With a gummy carrier, one can be in trouble.  The spring will leave the Carrier Block half way up and jam the rifle solid.  So, us meddling gunplumbers incorporate Positive Slam Down.  The lever stays in contact with the Carrier Arm ALL THE WAY DOWN.  In a rifle, well set up for CAS, the only purpose the Carrier Block Spring serves is to hold the carrier UP while the Breach Block strips the cartridge.

All the manufacturers of Short Stroke kits recognized this and incorporated Positive Slam Down in the design of their kits.  For those not enamored of Short Stroke, the rifle still receives great benefit from a good action job.  A good action job will incorporate Positive Slam Down.  AND ..... just to be contrary, Horse Pucky.  Contrary to others, without Positive Slam Down, a light carrier will jam easier than an OEM carrier.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »
I've started putting positive slam down even on my WCF caliber rifles. Had a 66 that runs real clean with black act up in some real cold weather a few years back so figure it can't hurt having it. Even if probably not necessary I even do it on my 73s, they almost hold the arm all the way down as is but I want to make sure it get all the way to the bottom to pick up the next round or not interfere with the bolt.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »

Hi Cliff.

Yes.  Positive Slam Down is a good idea even in the "dash" caliber rifles.  Rather than a spring, the LEVER powers the Carrier Block "UP" and the LEVER powers the Carrier Block "DOWN" which insures the correct function of the rifle.  Running lighter springs provided lots of benefits beyond just the quest for "SPEED."  Longevity of Parts, Ease of Operation, Easier to stay on target, etc.  A really good action job is not only good for the shooter, it is also very good for the Rifle. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com