Author Topic: Holster selection  (Read 1762 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Holster selection
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
Recently my petite wife (5'2"), a lefty, bought herself not one, but THREE 7-1/2" barrel 44-40s, one a tarted up Uberti and a brace of Piettas. Big guns for a little lady! Question now is - what's going to work for leather?

She thinks maybe double cross draw.  I'm thinking a left and a right, butts to the rear or a left x-draw and left strong hand. They will most likely need to be Buscadero drops if she has a hope of making a draw.

Thoughts? Opinions?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Holster selection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:58:18 AM »
An alternative to a Buscadero rig is double crossed belts. You achieve the same drop but can make a more historically accurate rig. The only thing that kills that accuracy is the need for tie-downs. That's a safety item, so I just live with it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »
Hi

Not able to go look right now, but I think Costner's rig  was cut lower so that the barrel would come out more quickly.  You could cover everything in the front, but leave the front sight side a little lower than normal. 

Another separate option (I don't think I'd like it) would be to cant the grips back opposite of what you would do for Cross Draw.  Same direction as regular strong side holsters.

I'd consider making a plain Slim Jim holster and put extra sets of holes in the back to try different angles.

Just my $0.02 and worth bout half that.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:48:02 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
She has a Ted Blocker 'Wild Bunch' rig and wants to match the belt with new SAA holsters.

They offer a rig for ladies called the "Dixie Bell" where both guns are angled forward like a pair of x-draws.

Check it out on their web site .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com