Author Topic: New Spencer carbine owner  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Teddydogno1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Spencer carbine owner
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
I asked a question about "single shot" modern Spencers a few days ago and it turned out the seller just didn't know how the magazine worked.

I bought the gun and received it on Saturday.  It is a Taylor's Chiappa/Armi Sport carbine.  Was sold as "unfired" complete with original box and papers.  It sure looks it.  I WAS surprised, though, that the Taylor's brochure that came with it is dated 2004.  I called Taylor's today and they confirmed that it was imported in May 2004 and sold to a distributor in August 2005!

With a gun imported nearly 15 years ago, are they any old issues that I need to be on the lookout for?  Things that maybe have been fixed since then?  I've read a bunch about these guns so I know they can be picky about ammo length, bullet shape, cycling speed, etc.

Here it is:

It also came with 3 20-round boxes of Buffalo Arms ammo and what I believe are two "blow tubes".  I have not read that these guns came with blow tubes, so I guess they were purchased by the previous owner and included with the sale.  Or were they actually included with the rifle?

Anyway, I plan to take it out and shoot some of the BA ammo this week.  I have Lyman dies, Starline brass and some SPG-lubed bullets, so after this ammo is gone it will be all BP handloads from then on.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Rob

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: New Spencer carbine owner
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »
That's a really nice looking carbine.  I know that I really like mine--it is one of the funnest guns that I have.

I will comment that a number of people have had issues with Lyman 56-50 dies.  I could never get mine to fully crimp the bullets and I ended up buying some RCBS dies.  I've heard that the Lyman dies are pretty much 50-70 dies with a new label.  I still have mine, being unwilling to sell then as 56-50 dies knowing that they didn't work for me.  Possibly they would work better with ammo made for an original rifle.  Anyway, that's just something to be cautious about if yours is a 56-50.

Again, I think you'll have a great time with your "new" gun!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Teddydogno1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
I had heard that older Lyman dies had issues, but new ones were fixed.  These are new, including the current "free shellholder" package.

Rob

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:25:07 AM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »
Rob,

Take some time and check out the SORI Thread and find the posts that deal with Armi Sport Spencer Carbines and Loading.  There are numerous post to read and maybe they will be of help to you.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
I had heard that older Lyman dies had issues, but new ones were fixed.  These are new, including the current "free shellholder" package.

Rob

Good.  I'm glad that they took care of the issues.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com