Author Topic: ?? on leather for holster  (Read 4202 times)

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
?? on leather for holster
« on: June 18, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
I am wanting to make a holster but what leather to buy ?  I see domestic vegetable tanned and import vegetable tanned. I guess Herman Oak is the best but a company in Texas has import for a fair price.  Does it matter as long as it is vegetable tanned ?   Thanks, Jerry

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: ?? on leather for holster
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:24:54 AM »
I use dry bag leather (vegetable tanned carving) 3mm - 4mm, its easiest to mold to fit the gun. 

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
Herman Oak is a good supplier. Tell them how it will be used and what quality you want and let them recommend. There are both good and bad quality domestic and imported leathers. I always buy the best possible quality because it makes a difference in the finished item.

Here's a good thread on Where To Buy Leeather.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:48 PM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
It really helps to hand pick your own leather,  but not always possible.  That is when you have to rely on some dude in a warehouse, who doesn't know you,  or really care.

It sounds like you might be new to leatherwork,  and if that is the case, don't spend the extra for top shelf that might be B or C grade at grade A prices.  Find a place close by, try them out. When you hone your skill, and find a good supplier, then you can spend the extra.

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Yes I am very new to leather work.  I have cut a belt or two but nothing other than that. There is a Tandy up in Albuquerque and a hide store up there also.  I have been looking at the Herman Oak precuts from Springfield Leather and feel that they have a caring staff to assist me and pick my piece of leather for me.  I have seen some Ebay adds for other leather but was just wondering about the quality, back to the warehouse dude picking off the pile and mailing it. All I want is a 12"x24" piece of 9-10 oz..  Butttt, when it comes to the sewing part, I have only one hand so doing a saddle stitch on a holster won't be a good one. I will have to get someone to sew it.   Thanks, Jerry

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
If you get to that supplier in Albuquerque, One good way to choose your leather is to first look at the top grain to look for imperfections. Then flip it over and run your hand along the whole hide. A good side of leather will feel smooth and even where a poorer quality one will be irregular and you can feel where it's thicker and thinner.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
I have had good hides from Tandy, and more than a few not so good ones. One of them looked like it was chewed, not cut. Same with Springfield and Weaver. Sometimes they look like they were dragged across a cement floor, some places use a covering agent to make the grain side look pretty, and they don't take dye well. I normally just use Tandy for stuff like dye, thread, tools, since they are 4 hours away in Atlanta, normally a 2 day delivery. For leather, I use Zack White in N.C., because they have been consistent with quality. I swear their double shoulders are really just small sides  ;)

Springfield will cut to order on most leather, but I had them mess up too many orders. Weavers has free shipping on $100 orders, which is a huge savings.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
It's been since way back when but I've gotten some of my best sides at our Tandy store. I've also seen some of the worse hides there.

I don't know if they still do since I never ask or look that hard but ours sometimes had some herman oak sides which is some of the best leather you can buy.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
I don't as much Leather Work as I used to. Most of my work now is for friends and door prizes for shooting events. Sometimes I need a small piece of leather for a project and I don't want to buy an entire hide or more leather than I need. For what it's worth, I have been using the "Leather Guy" in Minnesota for what they call "Project Pieces" and "Pre-cuts". I have also bought full hides from them. Their quality and service have been good. Below are links to their website, Project Pieces and Pre-cuts:

Link to the Leather Guy’s website
https://www.theleatherguy.org/

Link to “Project Pieces”
https://www.theleatherguy.org/product-category/leather-hides/project-pieces/veg-tan-project-pieces/

Link to “Pre-cuts”
https://www.theleatherguy.org/product-category/leather-hides/pre-cut-leather/veg-tan-pre-cuts/
Attached is a Slim Jim I made from a 12" x 12" Pre-cut
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Thanks for the links, Johnny. Nice holster, there.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com