Author Topic: Hickock45: "Regular bullets, regular modern lube"...  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Hickock45: "Regular bullets, regular modern lube"...
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
"10:20" into the video....   no wads....

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Hickock45: "Regular bullets, regular modern lube"...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »

What a Dweeb.

Offline Jeeper John

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
OK, I'll bite. I don't shoot black powder and know nothing about it.

Why is what he is suggesting a bad idea? What are the reasons to do it differently?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:18 PM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
Keeper— I am not the expert BP shooter like others on this site are but do understand the basics. There are lubes that are formulated to keep the BP fouling soft and when used in conjunctions with cards below the base allow extensive shooting with the bore remaing fairly clean. Another cause of his fowling problem is that modern 45 Colt brass is too thick to allow it to expand and seal the chamber enough to keep much of the residue out of the action. Original Winchester’s used bottle neck cartridges with much thinner necks that did an excellent job of sealing the chamber. Hope this helps.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
Jeeper,

Black Powder fouling is cumulative.  It builds up as you shoot unless you keep it soft with lubricant. Every round you fire deposits additional fouling in the bore and or in the action.  Using a bullet designed to carry sufficient BP Lube keeps the fouling soft and allows each successive shot to remove an amount of the fouling.

Often, by the time your firing your last five rounds of a string, the fouling is bad enough to really affect accuracy IF your not using the correct or enough of the correct BP Lubricant.  A squirt of something down the bore after a string does nothing to mitigate the fouling.
I could go on and on, but ..... for someone purporting to be an authority to suggest patently bad information/suggestions is irresponsible if not down right STUPID.

Let us remember if we will ... Expert - Noun.  An Ex is a has been.  A spert is just a drip under pressure.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:33:31 AM »
"...for someone purporting to be an authority to suggest patently bad information/suggestions is irresponsible if not down right STUPID."

yep !  he is a legend in his own mind ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Using a bullet designed to carry sufficient BP Lube keeps the fouling soft and allows each successive shot to remove an amount of the fouling.

Is this a PSA or a paid advertisement from a CASCity member?

;D
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Jeeper John

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
Often, by the time your firing your last five rounds of a string, the fouling is bad enough to really affect accuracy IF your not using the correct or enough of the correct BP Lubricant.  A squirt of something down the bore after a string does nothing to mitigate the fouling.
I could go on and on, but ..... for someone purporting to be an authority to suggest patently bad information/suggestions is irresponsible if not down right STUPID.

Accuracy would be affected so much so that you'd miss a 2 square foot plate at 20 feet? I always figured by the final 5 shots of 10 nobody could see the target anyway for all the smoke flying around so what difference does accuracy make?  ;D

He did say in the video it worked for him. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Instead of knocking the guy, how about contacting him and giving him a little helpful information.

I've watched and enjoyed many of his videos. I don't recall him ever purporting to be an "expert" on any firearm, BP or otherwise.

He has introduced many viewers to a broad spectrum of firearms, current and historic in an informative and fun way. He enjoys the guns he reviews and can shoot them consistently well.

There are many very poor quality videos out there and some people should definitely be disallowed to make them - poor presentation, poor sound, mumbling, stumbling and generally inept.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »
Instead of knocking the guy, how about contacting him and giving him a little helpful information.

I've watched and enjoyed many of his videos. I don't recall him ever purporting to be an "expert" on any firearm, BP or otherwise.

He has introduced many viewers to a broad spectrum of firearms, current and historic in an informative and fun way. He enjoys the guns he reviews and can shoot them consistently well.

There are many very poor quality videos out there and some people should definitely be disallowed to make them - poor presentation, poor sound, mumbling, stumbling and generally inept.

I like the ones where a fat 30 something still living with his parents makes a video with his cell phone. He's wearing his pyjamas and shows his grubby bare feet and yellow toenails.  He don't know what d'hell he's talking about and can't even use the correct terminology.  His only interest in guns because they are featured in video games.  ::) 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:50:48 AM »
He did seem to be hitting a lot of those targets that are smaller and further than SASS targets. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
I give him that, a very nice personal range....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »
To be fair he states up front that when he started shooting BP he used best practices but for him he did not find it worth the time. What works for me is if loading BP for rifles I prefer the dash cartridges and leave 45 Colt for revolvers. To each his own.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
Anyone who's successful or becomes well known becomes a target. I was a bit saddened to see members here being so nasty toward this man who's introduced a lot of people to firearms and safe shooting. I never considered him a reliable source of information on guns of the Old West. I do consider him to be a much better shot than just about everyone here, myself included.

Dave

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58:53 PM »
He did seem to be hitting a lot of those targets that are smaller and further than SASS targets. 

Dyed in the wool SASS-enachs dislike our annual shoot because pistol targets are at 10m, rifle at 25m +, bonus rifle targets are 'B' zone plates. We do a "Speed & Accuracy" 100m match rifle event that they won't enter. Just as well as their loads wouldn't reach out that far.

They also don't shoot our "Man on Man" event with four plates and a mini popper per side. Why? Because you have to aim!

The targets on his range are not quite as far as they seem in his videos. Still, he shoots them quickly and well, having one hell of a good time in the process.

The fact that he gets such support and sponsorship says a lot for his credibility.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »
He's no "Ian from Forgotten Weapons", but I think his videos are pretty good overall.

I load BP in .45 Colt and either melt off the smokeless lube and replace it with blackpowder lube, or buy the BP-lubed bullets from CheyCast where they are about the same price as smokeless.  My understanding is that it's a chemical compatibility thing with petroleum-based anything and BP.

He's probably right that it does work OK not bothering with that.  After tinkering with lube cookies and cards and stuff, I've settled on a .44 Colt case full of 2F, a fiber wad and a 255g pill and that's good to go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com