Author Topic: Oh .. PLEASE .. PLEASE  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Oh .. PLEASE .. PLEASE
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
Somebody PLEASE save me and US from ignorant Scribes that plague the pages of shooting magazines.

I just began to peruse the latest Guns of The Old West.  There are TWO immediate and glaring errors.  The chief scribe attributes Uberti of having introduced the 1871/72 Open Top in 44-40.  44-40??  REALLY???  Ignorance abounds.  The 1871/72 Open Top was NEVER CHAMBERED in 44-40.  Neither the Original, nor the Uberti built reproduction.  NEVER.  EVER. 

In another story, our intrepid chief scribe again stubs hi toe.  "In 1875, Colt added .45 Long Colt to the Peacemaker's" yada yada yada.  Now we have another ignorant scribe prolonging the myth of the .45 Long Colt.  There has never been a .45 "Long" Colt.  There has only ever been one designation.  .45 Colt.  PERIOD.  EVER.  There was a separate and distinct cartridge called the .45 Government.  The .45 Government was a "special" round for the Military.  The .45 Colt was and is the only ever "45 Colt."

Not that I'm at all anal over certain ignorance.  Not me. Nope.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
Re: Oh .. PLEASE .. PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
How's about this?  You shoot .45 Colt in Colt SAA's and .45 Long Colt in "Clones"  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »

Abilene ..... I think I'm gonna WHACK ya    ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:06 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
How's about this?  You shoot .45 Colt in Colt SAA's and .45 Long Colt in "Clones"  ;D

;D ;D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline cheatin charlie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Coffinmaker take a deep breath and say over and over  "IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER" ::)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
Somebody PLEASE save me and US from ignorant Scribes that plague the pages of shooting magazines.

I just began to peruse the latest Guns of The Old West.  There are TWO immediate and glaring errors.  The chief scribe attributes Uberti of having introduced the 1871/72 Open Top in 44-40.  44-40??  REALLY???  Ignorance abounds.  The 1871/72 Open Top was NEVER CHAMBERED in 44-40.  Neither the Original, nor the Uberti built reproduction.  NEVER.  EVER. 

Yessssss.....

Unfortunately the scribes are attempting to put multiple words in a row, to meet a deadline, and hopefully get paid something before the paper magazine goes under, and the old days of having help such as proofreading, another set of eyes, or god forbid and editor that actual does editing and fact checking, are long gone. Same as in the “new” version of “journalism “ ...   ::)

And the only tool available is “autocorrect” ... .   Damn you autocorrect!

I stil remember my rant over the article on cartridge conversions, in which the author mistakenly wrote that plates were “welded” onto the backs of modified cylinders, when the only welding available at that time was “hammer welding” . Those in the know fully understand that the fastening methods available that that time were brazing or silver soldering, but still, this is how ignorance continues to get propagated and then later taken by the unknowing as “fact” .

So, here we are in the first century of the new millennium, reduced to “ow my balls”

Appropriate link to be inserted later

In another story, our intrepid chief scribe again stubs hi toe.  "In 1875, Colt added .45 Long Colt to the Peacemaker's" yada yada yada.  Now we have another ignorant scribe prolonging the myth of the .45 Long Colt.  There has never been a .45 "Long" Colt.  There has only ever been one designation.  .45 Colt.  PERIOD.  EVER.  There was a separate and distinct cartridge called the .45 Government.  The .45 Government was a "special" round for the Military.  The .45 Colt was and is the only ever "45 Colt."

Not that I'm at all anal over certain ignorance.  Not me. Nope.

In the greater scheme of Things, The world, and the universe, and everything,
this one is not such a biggie ( to me at least) ...

I see it as
Mind over matter...
I don,t mind ( so much )
Cuz it don,t matter (so much.)
 At least to me.
If I get my coffee,
And there,s no fires in my neighborhood.
And stuff.

It’s not as if it was something Really Important like when they tried to recreate Capt Schaefer’s Colt and made the barrel too long ... ;)

Yhs prof marvel on a tablet
Damn you autocorrect.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
...It’s not as if it was something Really Important like when they tried to recreate Capt Schaefer’s Colt and made the barrel too long ...

Or maybe Colt screwed up and made Schaefer's barrel shorter than he asked for, and Pietta is just correcting the problem??  :)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 923
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
Coffinmaker take a deep breath and say over and over  "IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER"

I disagree. It does matter because words mean things. Using the wrong word, or wrong terminology, or wrong name misinforms and reduces our general fund of knowledge as it is repeated and passed on.

Getting the facts right (correct) informs, educates and expands our fund of knowledge.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »

By Jove, Think He's got it  :o  Abilene is absolutely Brill (quote PUK)!!  Of course got the Special Order wrong and made the original Capt. Schaeffer too SHORT!!   ::)   Knowingly, Pietta with infinite wisdom corrected the glaring Fox Paw, and made the Replica with the correct  barrel length   :D   Otherwise, why would BOTH of my Capt. Schaeffer replicas have the corrected barrel length   8)   Burma Shave!!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
I just preformed some in depth research! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

The first prototypes were chambered in .44 American for the army trial of 1872. The reason was that S&W had submitted the No. 3 for a previous trial lot of 1,000 S&Ws using that round. The army liked the Colt but had decided on the .45 for new arms.

So, if you interpret the question as "what was the first official round"? the answer would be the .45 Colt. If you ask "what was the first round ever"? the answer would be different.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
I spotted those glaring errors as well and also wondered why there were pictures of modern DA's in there too. That said, it was otherwise an enjoyable issue.

In the age of free information on the internet, the print magazine is on the decline and as might be expected, so is the content. Which is sad really because most shooters could REALLY benefit from an honest education in gunology that you just can't get by asking one dumb question at a time online. Rant over.....  :P
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com