Author Topic: lighter mainsprint  (Read 2118 times)

Offline buxtonguy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
lighter mainsprint
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »
Any advice on a lighter mainspring for a cimarron 1851 RM?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: lighter mainsprint
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
Put a small piece of leather (3/8" x 3/8") between the spring and frame.  Put a hole in the leather, and run the screw first through the spring, then the leather and into the frame.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
Any custom mainspring made for SAA will fit the conversion.  Wolff, Lee's, etc.  And VTI Gunparts has a reduced power Pietta SAA spring that will fit.  I do use an additional washer (like Coffinmaker suggested, but I use a stainless split washer instead of the leather) under my aftermarket mainspring to make it a tad lighter.  If ever any failure to pop primers (I have not had that problem), then the washer can be removed to get a bit more power.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:55:18 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
Any custom mainspring made for SAA will fit the conversion.  Wolff, Lee's, etc.  And VTI Gunparts has a reduced power Pietta SAA spring that will fit.  I do use an additional washer (like Coffinmaker suggested, but I use a stainless split washer instead of the leather) under my aftermarket mainspring to make it a tad lighter.  If ever any failure to pop primers (I have not had that problem), then the washer can be removed to get a bit more power.

Coffinmaker????  Haha, I'm not that old!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
Coffinmaker????  Haha, I'm not that old!

Oops, hahaha, didn't mean to insult you.   :D  Coffinmaker is always suggesting the Pietta reduced spring, so that is why his name was on my mine.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
Mistaking me with our illustrious and knowledgeable brother Coffinmaker is certainly NOT an insult! ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
I was never crazy about the leather pad under the mainspring, as I couldn't feel much difference. But this was under a stock Colt mainspring which were usually pretty heavy to start with. About four years ago I ended up with an early 3rd Generation Colt SAA which was acquired from an estate sale. It looked lightly used but when I took it apart I discovered the previous owner had installed the leather pad. It must have been in there a while as the leather was flattened under the screw pressure. The real issue was the amount of rust from that leather that affected the screw, mainspring and triggerguard. It cleaned up but sure wasn't pretty. Don't know the type of leather used.
 An aftermarket mainspring--any mentioned by Abilene--will cost $20 or less, will be easy to install, and make a noticeable difference.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline buxtonguy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
thanks fellers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com