Author Topic: Interesting conversation with Gary (Hoofhearted)  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Interesting conversation with Gary (Hoofhearted)
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
I was talking to Gary on the phone today about his Thuer conversions for a Cowboy Chronicle article, and about conversions in general.  He mentioned that Pietta is the best bet for installing R&D or Kirst Konverters on a Colt style BP revolver.  Uberti has been changing their BP pistols slightly, and it is almost impossible to get the timing correct on an Uberti with the 5 shot cartridge cylinders. It can be done, but it is not drop in for the most part like the Pietta.  It requires didsassembly, grinding internals, and reshaping parts.

I have used both Kirst and R&D in both Colt and Remington style Piettas without a hitch.  Thought I would mention this to save pards some frustration.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Interesting conversation with Gary (Hoofhearted)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Yep'r; Gary is the Man!!!  I have one of his Conversions, good stuff.

I doubt he will do another Cenature/Belgium 1860 conversion. Mine gave him Fits for sure. It is the Thuer style in 45 Schofield.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »

May be the only Smith doing conversions , at least in real timely fashion ....

Quality work and quality products... INDEED the MAN !
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:38 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
PS  Gary is having internet issues AND is moving to a new ranch with better facilities for his shop.  Be patient!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Is that what happened? Two years ago I did a pair of Uberti 1860 Armies with Kirst cylinders. Each one took me about 4 days of playing with the hand until I was relatively happy with the timing. It was a little frustrating. ::)  But both guns are now very satisfactory. Two months ago I put together a Pietta 51 Navy .44 with Kirst cylinder and the darn thing just about dropped in, which surprised me as I was expecting more trouble with the timing going from a 6 shot cylinder to a 5 shot.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »

Well Humpff!!  I find I must agree with Gary.  I usually do.  Uberti's ..... Suck.  I don't like Uberti.  There, no that I have that out to the way .........

I have taken in a little work since I retired and burned my shingle.  Putting together just enough Cap Guns to help maintain my level of sanity.  Along with this, I have put together several "Conversions" for myself and a few (read .. FEW) others, using R&D type conversion cylinders.  I have used Pietta as the base guns.  Normally, just a slight adjustment of the hand is all that is required.  Once set up for the Conversion cylinder, reverting to the Percussion cylinder is just a matter swapping out the cylinders.  There is one small CAVEAT:

Once timed up for the conversion, NORMALLY the percussion cylinder won't quite come into battery when the action is cycled soft and slow.  But, when the action is cycled as you would shooting in a match, the inertia of the cylinder causes the cylinder to "carry up" into battery without problem.  Suddenly you have a very convenient "convertible" for those days less suited for Cap Guns.  Cap Guns-R-FUN

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
Because of the difference in the cylinder rear ratchet teeth of the C&B original and the Kirst cylinder used for the Theur conversion, Gary had to stretch the hand for proper alignment and function. my original C&B cylinder will no longer function properly.

If I purchase a Centaure Hand, Gary will fit it to the C&B cylinder. Thus far, I have no use for the ability to change cylinders. I prefer the piece to be a cartridge conversion.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
Back to my previous CAVEAT:  I'm speaking strictly about an R&D Cylinder conversion.  the hand must be carefully fit as the bolt MUST release from the cylinder lock between chambers as well as shooting position lock up.  You want to finish up with no "hitch" at all when cocking the gun.

Lefty: 
My personal conversion .44s are built on Pietta Marshalls.  I first built a set of Snubbies on the Marshal frame.  Then I wanted suppository guns that felt almost exactly the same as my Cap Guns.  So I built another set of Snubbies on Marshal frames to run strictly as Suppository shooters.  No Cap Rakes, solid hammer face.  They are my "go to" guns so I take both pair to any multi day "away" match I go to.  I also built myself a set of "convertibles" with both Percussion cylinders and Suppository cylinders on the same frame.  Fun either way.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
Oh! How I love those Marshall Frames !!!!!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »

Lefty!!

You betcha.  Probably the best made Cap Guns on the market.  Well ..... With an addition.  The Capt. Schaeffer replicas are made the same way.  REALLY well made guns.  There are/is another Pietta also made with the full polished then heat treated method, which delivery is overdue (thanks UPS), but I'll reserve a call on them till I get em out of the box.  I'm already drooling though.  I HATE it when I have to wait for my NEW TOYS!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com